PDA

View Full Version : 729 days

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=266464

One day to short to get college benifits.

Now that is supporting our troops.

Here's what happened: Anderson's orders, and the orders of 1,161 other Minnesota guard members, were written for 729 days. Had they been written for 730 days -- one day more -- the soldiers would receive those benefits to pay for school.

Monkeybone
10-03-2007, 12:34 PM
that is really weird, cuz the GI Bill works for time in service/seperation status...not time deployed.

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 12:36 PM
When they came home from Iraq, 2,600 members of the Minnesota National Guard had been deployed longer than any other ground combat unit.

Maybe it has something to do with being national guard?

Monkeybone
10-03-2007, 12:38 PM
i understand that, but, like i said, the GI bill is time in service, not time deployed

maybe..i will look, give me some time

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I had 23 guys under my command," Anderson said. "I promised to take care of them. And I'm not going to end taking care of them when this deployment is over, and it's not over until this is solved."

The Army did not respond to KARE11's questions Tuesday afternoon.

Senators Klobuchar and Coleman released a joint statement saying the Army secretary, Pete Geren, is looking into this personally. And they say Geren asked a review board to expedite its review so the matter could be solved by next semester.

Minnesota National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Kevin Olson said the soldiers are "victims of a significant injustice."

At least someone is looking out for them.

Nukeman
10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
The article isn't completely clear but the way I read it, it states they would have reacieved 500-800 MORE dollars a month not that they were rnot recieving anything. Once again this is a half truth story...

"Which would be allowing the soldiers an extra $500 to $800 a month," Anderson said

Please read the bolded word.....

Monkeybone
10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
here is what i could find, this is atleast from 2004

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/gibillandta/a/admgibreserves.htm

sounds like Nukie hit the nail on the head, they just might not be getting the extra money that they wanted.

Abbey Marie
10-03-2007, 12:47 PM
You mean we have yet another anti-military misleading post by Matters?

Say it ain't so!

manu1959
10-03-2007, 12:48 PM
You mean we have yet another anti-military misleading post by Matters?

Say it ain't so!

how is that possible....truth matters.....

Abbey Marie
10-03-2007, 12:51 PM

Theoretically. :coffee:

Nukeman
10-03-2007, 12:57 PM

You know, according to John Doe she thinks sooo much faster than all of us she is just going a million miles a minute figuratively speaking of course, I personally think she has a very large "READING COMPREHENSION" problem.. Of course thats just my honost opinion....

manu1959
10-03-2007, 12:59 PM
You know, according to John Doe she thinks sooo much faster than all of us she is just going a million miles a minute figuratively speaking of course, I personally think she has a very large "READING COMPREHENSION" problem.. Of course thats just my honost opinion....

i don't think she actually reads anything.....she scans it and fires from the hip.....

JohnDoe
10-03-2007, 01:01 PM
abbey
are you saying $500-$800 EXTRA DOLLARS a month is piddly poo?

are you implying this extra money a month doesn't make a difference in whether some of these guys could afford school or not?

are you saying the orders writen specifically for 1 day short to receive these benefits was not intentional or at least an incredible injustice?

are you implying you don't give a hoot whether they get this money or not?

and also, WHAT in god's name was NOT the truth in what TM posted in this thread? since you clearly jumped on the band wagon to slap her for this post as if it were untrue?

jd

manu1959
10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
abbey

are you implying this extra money a month doesn't make a difference in whether some of these guys could afford school or not?

are you saying the orders writen specifically for 1 day short to receive these benefits was not intentional or at least an incredible injustice?

and also, WHAT in god's name was NOT the truth in what TM posted in this thread? since you clearly jumped on the band wagon to slap her for this post as if it were untrue?

jd

One day to short to get college benifits......this phrase is a lie....one day short to get an extra 500 - 800....the orders were written before they left...they new this before they left.....sounds like someone tried to save the tax payers some money and now you all are pissed about that.....

Mr. P
10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
abbey

jd
Are you saying you want these folks deployed longer? TM attempted to mislead again and got caught...what a surprise, HUH?

Abbey Marie
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
abbey

jd

Did you read the article?

Can you not understand it?

Does your blind loyalty to Ms. Matters make it impossible for you to understand what everyone is telling you?

Or is it your blind loyalty to negative Lib attitudes that makes it so hard?

I will get to the point for you: I am saying that once again, Matters made yet another very misleading, anti-military post. Oh wait, I already said that, didn't I? :rolleyes: Manu and Mr. P stated the problem quite well just above, so I won't repeat it. Just read their comments again for clarification on what I meant.

Jump on the bandwagon? Nah. I helped expose yet another lie in case others come along and mistakenly take Matters at her word and don't bother to read the article for themselves. I feel it is my duty as a person with pretty good reading comprehension skills, ya know?

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Here's what happened: Anderson's orders, and the orders of 1,161 other Minnesota guard members, were written for 729 days. Had they been written for 730 days -- one day more -- the soldiers would receive those benefits to pay for school.http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=266464

this is what the article says

A little fairness would make this site much more fun for everyone concerned.

Nukeman
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Here's what happened: Anderson's orders, and the orders of 1,161 other Minnesota guard members, were written for 729 days. Had they been written for 730 days -- one day more -- the soldiers would receive those benefits to pay for school.http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=266464

A little fairness would make this site much more fun for everyone concerned.My God woman read your own f***ing article. They will recieve MORE for the deployment of 24 months. You might also check out Monkey's link to the information regarding the GI Bill IF you can comprehend what is said.

Did the government stop their deployment 1 day short to save the money?? More than likely but I will let you in on a little secret businesses and government do this "every single freaking day", How many businesses higher "part time" so they wont have to offer full time benifitts?? This is a common business practice used all the time. You do realize this saves the tax payers $928,800.00 a month or $11,145,600.00 a year dont you

Does it suck hell yes it sucks but it is what it is and if they had read thier own GI Bill they would have known ahead of time about the number of days needed.

I find it very ironic that someone who is consistantly putting down the military would even care what hapens to our soldiers. You have shown yourself on this board to be anti military at almost every turn of the page, I figured you would be jumping up and down celebrating saying these men and women got what they diserve for joining such a dispicable orgnization like the US military....

Keep in mind that they are RESERVIST that were called to active duty for a limitted time I dont think they should have the SAME benifits as a full time enlisted service person. You also forget that during the time they are deployed they have been recieving Full pay, Deployment Pay, bonuses, and Combat pay. If your out of the country for more than 18 months your earnings are tax exempt. If you add all that together they are being reimbursed quite well..

You however never seem to think beyond the short little sentince that grabs your attention at the beginning of an article. Try for a little truth in your post and the HALF TRUTHS that you are always putting forht as gospel.

hjmick
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM

I've stayed out of this topic simply because I think the one day is bullshit, give the troops the money I say. It's a small price to pay for the services they rendered. However, in the interest of fairness, I have decided to post because the article does not say that the extra money would be used for school. It says that money would help Lt. Anderson pay for his master's degree in public administration. It also states that "It would help Anderson's fellow platoon leader, John Hobot, pay for a degree in law enforcement."

Lt Anderson is quoted as saying the extra day "...would be allowing the soldiers an extra $500 to $800 a month."

The article points to only two instances in which the disputed funds would be used for educational purposes. The only other instance in the article that frames the controversy with the education issue is the quote from Republican Norm Coleman.

Now, I believe that more than just these two men will use the money for school, but I doubt all of them will do so.

This, in my opinion, is disingenuous. Unless the money can be used only for education, the debate is about money, period. Money I believe these men earned, be it for 729 days or 730 days or 714 days.

As far as I'm concerned, they all deserve the extra money and can do with it what they please.

manu1959
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I've stayed out of this topic simply because I think the one day is bullshit, give the trrops the money I say. It's a small price to pay for the services they rendered. However, in the interest of fairness, I have decided to post because the article does not say that the extra money would be used for school. It says that money would help Lt. Anderson pay for his master's degree in public administration. It also states that "It would help Anderson's fellow platoon leader, John Hobot, pay for a degree in law enforcement."

Lt Anderson is quoted as saying the extra day "...would be allowing the soldiers an extra $500 to $800 a month."

The article points to only two instances in which the disputed funds would be used for educational purposes. The only other instance in the article that frames the controversy with the education issue is the quote from Republican Norm Coleman.

Now, I believe that more than just these two men will use the money for school, but I doubt all of them will do so.

This, in my opinion, is disingenuous. Unless the money can be used only for education, the debate is about money, period. Money I believe these men earned, be it for 729 days or 730 days or 714 days.

As far as I'm concerned, they all deserve the extra money and can do with it what they please.

i will bet 500 - 800 dollars the money would be used in strip clubs....:laugh2:

hjmick
10-03-2007, 03:26 PM
i will bet 500 - 800 dollars the money would be used in strip clubs....:laugh2:

:laugh2:

And deservedly so!

manu1959
10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
:laugh2:

And deservedly so!

you been to an iraqi strip club......no wonder all them sweaty hair men are blowing each other up.....

hell haliburton should just install some brass poles and pass out some victoria secrete wear and the middle east would be a peace....

truthmatters
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM

All the names you have just called me for posting this you will also have to call these soldiers and the congress people concerned with this issue( one of whom if a republican). What is anti troop about this issue anyway in your mind?

Trigg
10-03-2007, 06:14 PM
All the names you have just called me for posting this you will also have to call these soldiers and the congress people concerned with this issue( one of whom if a republican). What is anti troop about this issue anyway in your mind?

:lame2: No one is calling you names for posting this article. IT is the WAY you posted it, half truths hoping no one would actually read the article and see he was talking about EXTRA money instead of NO money. See the difference?????????????????????????

Does it suck that they don't give them the EXTRA 500-800 yes, I agree. This is done in the business world everyday and it still sucks.