PDA

View Full Version : Russian Banks Rush to Switch to Chinese Card System

BoogyMan
03-06-2022, 12:01 PM
I was waiting for this shoe to drop when I heard that VISA and Mastercard had pulled out of Russia. This is going to strengthen China’s economic system and further cement ties between Russia and China against the west. I can’t help but think of some of the reasoning behind why Japan attack Pearl Harbor, especially the limits on resources that were choking Japanese ambitions. Are we all but ensuring a broader conflict with these ever growing actions that do little to Mr. Putin but do a great deal to solidify the Russian people against the west?

https://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2022-03-06/russian-banks-rush-to-switch-to-chinese-card-system

Several Russian banks said on Sunday they would soon start issuing cards using the Chinese UnionPay card operator's system coupled with Russia's own Mir network, after Visa and MasterCard said they were suspending operations in Russia.

Announcements regarding the switch to UnionPay came on Sunday from Sberbank, Russia's biggest lender, as well as Alfa Bank and Tinkoff.

Gunny
03-06-2022, 12:53 PM
I was waiting for this shoe to drop when I heard that VISA and Mastercard had pulled out of Russia. This is going to strengthen China’s economic system and further cement ties between Russia and China against the west. I can’t help but think of some of the reasoning behind why Japan attack Pearl Harbor, especially the limits on resources that were choking Japanese ambitions. Are we all but ensuring a broader conflict with these ever growing actions that do little to Mr. Putin but do a great deal to solidify the Russian people against the west?

https://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2022-03-06/russian-banks-rush-to-switch-to-chinese-card-systemAnother Iron Curtain and another Cold War. There's a lot that points in that direction.

Kathianne
03-06-2022, 02:07 PM
Another Iron Curtain and another Cold War. There's a lot that points in that direction.

As long as it stays cold.

Gunny
03-06-2022, 03:40 PM
As long as it stays cold.Need to adjust to this can only end with the end of Putin. If NATO caves on Ukraine, what then does NATO do when he pulls the same crap in Latvia or Estonia with the same threat?

Kathianne
03-06-2022, 04:19 PM
Need to adjust to this can only end with the end of Putin. If NATO caves on Ukraine, what then does NATO do when he pulls the same crap in Latvia or Estonia with the same threat?

Right now it doesn't seem NATO is the weak link. You pointed it out on other thread, B&B.

BoogyMan
03-06-2022, 06:57 PM
Yep, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia….for starters. Putin seems to have lost his mind. I am not sure where this one goes.

Need to adjust to this can only end with the end of Putin. If NATO caves on Ukraine, what then does NATO do when he pulls the same crap in Latvia or Estonia with the same threat?

BoogyMan
03-06-2022, 06:58 PM
This is what is keeping me nervous. That and the fact that I don’t have any trust at all in the media to tell us the truth about anything.

As long as it stays cold.

Russ
03-06-2022, 07:26 PM
If the world is lucky, it ends when someone in the Kremlin puts a bullet in the back of Putin's head. Or the Kremlin kitchen puts something in Putin's food.If the world is not lucky, then it ends when Putin takes over a destroyed Ukraine... but maybe it doesn't end there. Maybe Putin keeps going into Moldova or Poland. Putin is seeming more and more like Hitler Junior.

Kathianne
03-06-2022, 09:02 PM
If the world is lucky, it ends when someone in the Kremlin puts a bullet in the back of Putin's head. Or the Kremlin kitchen puts something in Putin's food.If the world is not lucky, then it ends when Putin takes over a destroyed Ukraine... but maybe it doesn't end there. Maybe Putin keeps going into Moldova or Poland. Putin is seeming more and more like Hitler Junior.

One other way, it's been done in Russia at least 2X before:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russias-hooliganism-law-could-put-anti-war-protesters-in-jail-for-up-to-8-years-expert-says