PDA

View Full Version : Dems Will End The War By Raising Taxes

red states rule
10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Some House Democrats have a new plan to force an end to the Iraq war: raising taxes.

Dems want to raise incomes taxes, excise taxes, and sin taxes. Is there any tax these nuts do not want to increase?

Show Me the Money?

Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey, Pennsylvania's John Murtha and Massachusetts' Jim McGovern have unveiled a surtax — or extra charge — on taxes owed by Americans to help cover the cost of the war. It would impose a 2 percent fee on taxes of low-income earners and escalate to as much as 15 percent on high-income earners. It would be designed to raise up to $15 billion a year.

Obey says the proposal's main purpose is to generate additional opposition to the war, saying, "If you don't like the tax — shut down the war." Obey says the only families sacrificing now are military families.

Republicans pounced on the tax proposal and House and Senate Democratic leaders were distinctly cool to it, suggesting it will not get very far.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299036,00.html

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Those people are really really stupid.All this stuff needs to be kept track of and brought up when election time rolls around.

red states rule
10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Those people are really really stupid.All this stuff needs to be kept track of and brought up when election time rolls around.

I will be happy to take the job of submitting ad ideas for the election

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I think a lot of dems are going to be real surprised at how powerful the internet can be. Especially those damn congress people.

red states rule
10-03-2007, 06:30 PM
I think a lot of dems are going to be real surprised at how powerful the internet can be. Especially those damn congress people.

Unless they get the Fairness Doctrine passed and expand it to cover boards like this one

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Unless they get the Fairness Doctrine passed and expand it to cover boards like this one

If they succeeded with the fairness doctrine they would silence talk radio and shut down boards like this. It's not Bush fascism we have to worry about its the liberal version.

red states rule
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
If they succeeded with the fairness doctrine they would silence talk radio and shut down boards like this. It's not Bush fascism we have to worry about its the liberal version.

Libs are a strange bunch. If you bash America, the US military, or any Republican - youa re hero and deserve to speak

If you question a liberal on what they say, what they believe in, or point out their errors - you are a threat and need to be silenced. (for the common good of course)

manu1959
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
i vote we all cut a check for 150 and send it these idiots and tell them to spend it on bullets to kill the terrorists.....

in fact when i get home i am doing just that....

red states rule
10-03-2007, 07:24 PM
i vote we all cut a check for 150 and send it these idiots and tell them to spend it on bullets to kill the terrorists.....

in fact when i get home i am doing just that....

Liberals spend more time and energy on the war on smoking then the war on terror

JohnDoe
10-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't think it is a bad idea to pay for the war instead of borrowing the $250 BILLION a year that it is now costing... ($190 billion so far asked for next year and another request for more will be put in before the year's end from the DC rumor mill, thus the $250 billion estimate on my part.)

The 15 billion is peanuts and won't do a thing to pay for this war...(might pay the interest payment due on the money borrowed)

so it probably is some sort of political ploy.....to make some sort of political point but not a very strong and solid one, imo.

Raising our taxes the $250 billion a year that it is costing would make a ppolitical point imo.

Regardless, it says in this same article that the Democratic Leadership is "cool" to the idea so really all of this is a moot point.

And btw.... the fairness doctrine was in place for over 50 years (or something very similar, along with it....) no ONE was shut down because of it...

And, the fainess doctrine only involves the Public Airwaves, radio/tv, the internet would not be part of it, and never would be part of it.

jd

red states rule
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't think it is a bad idea to pay for the war instead of borrowing the $250 BILLION a year that it is now costing... ($190 billion so far asked for next year and another request for more will be put in before the year's end from the DC rumor mill, thus the $250 billion estimate on my part.)

The 15 billion is peanuts and won't do a thing to pay for this war...(might pay the interest payment due on the money borrowed)

so it probably is some sort of political ploy.....to make some sort of political point but not a very strong and solid one, imo.

Raising our taxes the $250 billion a year that it is costing would make a ppolitical point imo.

Regardless, it says in this same article that the Democratic Leadership is "cool" to the idea so really all of this is a moot point.

And btw.... the fairness doctrine was in place for over 50 years (or something very similar, along with it....) no ONE was shut down because of it...

And, the fainess doctrine only involves the Public Airwaves, radio/tv, the internet would not be part of it, and never would be part of it.

jd

Leave it Dems to expand another government program. Now 25 years olds are now children and people are poor at $80,000

retiredman
10-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I think it has a great election year resonance to it...

republicans got us into this stupid war

fat cat republicans refuse to send their sons to war OR to fund the war preferring to put it all on the backs of middle class taxpayers for the next two generations.

republicans will flush a trillion dollars down the shitter in Iraq but can't seem to afford $34B for children here at home.

polling now shows a marked shift in party identification since the last presidential election. more and more americans are ashamed to be associated with the republican party.

and rightly so!:laugh2:

red states rule
10-03-2007, 08:22 PM

fat cat republicans refuse to send their sons to war OR to fund the war preferring to put it all on the backs of middle class taxpayers for the next two generations.

republicans will flush a trillion dollars down the shitter in Iraq but can't seem to afford $34B for children here at home.

polling now shows a marked shift in party identification since the last presidential election. more and more americans are ashamed to be associated with the republican party.

I am glad Dems think the key to winning in 08 is increasing as many different taxes as possible

With a $3 trillion Federal budget, Dems think that is not enough spending

retiredman
10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
facts are facts, RSR.... folks are abandoning the GOP..... you can rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic all day long......

jimnyc
10-03-2007, 08:35 PM
fat cat republicans refuse to send their sons to war

Can you please cite specific republicans who "refused" to send their children to war? I don't think they CAN forcibly send them anyway, but I assume there must be some story I'm missing about this that prompts you to say this.

red states rule
10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
facts are facts, RSR.... folks are abandoning the GOP..... you can rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic all day long......

Is that why the Dem Congress is at 14%? The voters are dumping the GOP?

Sir Evil
10-03-2007, 08:45 PM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Kind of like the way you bragged how the dems were taking the keys to congress?
They sure did, now when they learn how to use those keys is a whole other story.

retiredman
10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Is that why the Dem Congress is at 14%? The voters are dumping the GOP?
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0816/p01s02-uspo.html

you and I have had this argument for months. I am sorry you have cancer, but that does not stop you from being a moron. when people give CONGRESS an opinion score, they are giving the institution a rating...republicans and democrats. I have shown you over and over and over and over and over and over again that, when the american people are asked to grade DEMOCRATS in congress, they consistently give them a higher grade than they do REPUBLICANS in congress.

manu1959
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM

you and I have had this argument for months. I am sorry you have cancer, but that does not stop you from being a moron. when people give CONGRESS an opinion score, they are giving the institution a rating...republicans and democrats. I have shown you over and over and over and over and over and over again that, when the american people are asked to grade DEMOCRATS in congress, they consistently give them a higher grade than they do REPUBLICANS in congress.

grades............egads.........grades make people feel bad......

manu1959
10-03-2007, 09:02 PM

any of the pelosi, boxer,clinton. kerry, edwards or kennedy kids signed up for war? they all voted to go....did they send their kids

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:04 PM
nice obfuscation....doesn't change the fact that the people are abandoning the GOP.

say....aren't there a few more deck chairs to be re-arranged? lol

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 09:16 PM
people are leaving the democrat party

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:17 PM
people are leaving the democrat party

you keep telling yourself that. you keep telling yourself that everyone loves the GOP and the democrats are pariahs.

:lol:

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
you keep telling yourself that. you keep telling yourself that everyone loves the GOP and the democrats are pariahs.

no need to put words in peoples mouths, you made a statement, I made a statement

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:22 PM
no need to put words in peoples mouths, you made a statement, I made a statement

I backed mine up....

I'll wait:laugh2:

Sir Evil
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I backed mine up....

I'll wait:laugh2:

you could'nt back up a car!

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 09:25 PM
I backed mine up....

I'll wait

You certianly did not.

doesn't change the fact that the people are abandoning the GOP

You did not back up that statement.

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:28 PM
You certianly did not.

You did not back up that statement.

I say again:

now back up YOURS.

I'll wait

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:29 PM

you could'nt back up a car!

ah Sir Dick-up-his-ass! so glad to see that the peanut gallery is vocal tonight.

how WAS that last load of cum you swallowed?

Sir Evil
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
ah Sir Dick-up-his-ass! so glad to see that the peanut gallery is vocal tonight.

how WAS that last load of cum you swallowed?

:laugh2::laugh2:

Still caught up in the whole gay way of thought I see, to no surprise there.

it was very good Homo, it was to my delight to learn your other half was a squirter. :D

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Simple, my statement was people are leaving the democrat party. Cindy Sheehan has left the democrat party and will certianly take a few kooks with her. Joe Lieberman has left the democrat party, not likely to register on any polling data but my statement is true, people are leaving the democrat party.

Funny you claim you backed up your statement, but you did no such thing until pressured to.

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:36 PM
so...you've been to maine and didn't make good on your challenge to kick my ass? why am I not surprsed, you cowardly pussy?

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Simple, my statement was people are leaving the democrat party. Cindy Sheehan has left the democrat party and will certianly take a few kooks with her. Joe Lieberman has left the democrat party, not likely to register on any polling data but my statement is true, people are leaving the democrat party.

Funny you claim you backed up your statement, but you did no such thing until pressured to.

that was the second time in this thread that I posted that link...do try to keep up.

some people may, in fact, be leaving the democratic party....but they are being replaced two-fold by all the folks abandoning the GOP.

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 09:38 PM
so...you've been to maine and didn't make good on your challenge to kick my ass? why am I not surprsed, you cowardly pussy?

Who are you talking to?

Gaffer
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

He just missed you cause you were hiding under your desk. :dance:

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Who are you talking to?

a reply to post #30

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 09:40 PM
that was the second time in this thread that I posted that link...do try to keep up.

You did, I missed the first link.

Sir Evil
10-03-2007, 09:46 PM
*edit* - removed post not needed on the board

MtnBiker

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
The End.....

*edit* comment not needed - MtnBiker

this obsession is becoming overwhelming for you, isn't it?

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
alright guys that's enough

retiredman
10-03-2007, 09:54 PM
he's the owner's baby brother...he gets away with anything.

fuckin' fag loser.

Sir Evil
10-03-2007, 09:57 PM

fuckin' fag loser.

Big brother that is, but I know gracefully bow out.....:D

MtnBiker
10-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Sir Evil is no longer able to post in this thread.

red states rule
10-04-2007, 05:36 AM

I was wrong MM. A Zogby poll that came out 9/19 gave your Dem Congress a 11% approval rating

I stand corrected

In the same poll, Pres Bush had a 29% approval rating

retiredman
10-04-2007, 06:40 AM
in every poll since before the 2006 election, where Americans have been asked to gauge the performance of democrats in congress versus republicans in congress, the democrats have ALWAYS scored higher than the republicans.

you can keep running away from that, but it will still be the truth.:laugh2:

in every presidential candidate tracking poll, democratic candidates kick republican candidate's asses.

Your money that you all flush down the shitter in you stupid counterproductive war, when juxtaposed against your president's idiotic veto of a relatively mere pittance for children's health will be used to bludgeon every republican candidate in '08. Tough luck for the kids...tough luck for the soldiers, but at least it WILL result in a changing of party power in the white house..which will ultimately save the supreme court from 25 years of draconian conservative rule.

red states rule
10-04-2007, 06:43 AM
in every poll since before the 2006 election, where Americans have been asked to gauge the performance of democrats in congress versus republicans in congress, the democrats have ALWAYS scored higher than the republicans.

in every presidential candidate tracking poll, democratic candidates kick republican candidate's asses.

Your money that you all flush down the shitter in you stupid counterproductive war, when juxtaposed against your president's idiotic veto of a relatively mere pittance for children's health will be used to bludgeon every republican candidate in '08. Tough luck for the kids...tough luck for the soldiers, but at least it WILL result in a changing of party power in the white house..which will ultimately save the supreme court from 25 years of draconian conservative rule.

In every poll, Dems have been dropping

It may come as a shock to you MM, but a majority of Americans DO NOT SUPPORT higher taxes, bigger government, open botders, liberal Judges making law from the bench, government run health care, and surrender and appeasemnt to the terrorists

You may want all this from the Dem party - but not the rest of us

Even Reid and Pelosi have seen their approval numbers tumble - so you can't blame Republicans which is your catch all excuse for anything that goes ahgainst you and your party

jimnyc
10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
*edit* - removed post not needed on the board

MtnBiker

fuckin' fag loser.

Sir Evil is no longer able to post in this thread.

MFM - as you can see, your allegations are incorrect. If he crosses the line he will be taken care of. Apparently you know little of my history to make that claim. Sir Evil has been in hot water with me and we had more fights over me enforcing the rules than perhaps any member that's ever been on my boards before! Staff will treat him like every other member.

retiredman
10-04-2007, 06:46 AM
like I said....you can run from the fact that the american people have a consistently higher opinion of democrats in congress than they do republicans...but it will still be the truth.:laugh2:

red states rule
10-04-2007, 06:48 AM
like I said....you can run from the fact that the american people have a consistently higher opinion of democrats in congress than they do republicans...but it will still be the truth.:laugh2:

Hey, if you love a 11% approval rating - good for you

With them wasting time on Rush they will hit the single digits very soon

Sitarro
10-04-2007, 06:51 AM

:lol:

No, idiots would be the correct description...... how is the one black guy in Maine doing cooky?

retiredman
10-04-2007, 06:53 AM
No, idiots would be the correct description...... how is the one black guy in Maine doing cooky?

we have lots of them...I was actually talking with one of them just yesterday. He is on the governor's staff. And I wonder why you call me "cooky"? I was in the navy but I never was a cook. Is it meant to be some sort of insult, and if so...why do you feel compelled to continue to insult me?

Sitarro
10-04-2007, 06:55 AM
nice obfuscation....doesn't change the fact that the people are abandoning the GOP.

say....aren't there a few more deck chairs to be re-arranged? lol

I'm curious, you seem obsessed with the Titanic...... how many boats were you responsible for sinking in your career?

red states rule
10-04-2007, 06:57 AM
we have lots of them...I was actually talking with one of them just yesterday. He is on the governor's staff. And I wonder why you call me "cooky"? I was in the navy but I never was a cook. Is it meant to be some sort of insult, and if so...why do you feel compelled to continue to insult me?

To bad you were not as offended by the Moveon.org ad calling Gen Petraeus a traitor

Oh, he is trying to win the war - that explains it

retiredman
10-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm curious, you seem obsessed with the Titanic...... how many boats were you responsible for sinking in your career?

if you knew anything about the navy, you would know that no one is given the opportunity to be responsible for sinking more than one...and if you knew anything about my career, you would know that I was not responsible for sinking any... as a matter of fact, I got a big medal for extraordinary shiphandling when a spruance class destroyer incorrectly turned directly in front of my ship in the SOCAL OpArea... I don't sink 'em and I have done more than my share of saving them from sinking.

now again...why do you feel compelled to try to insult my military service? Do you really think that shows any maturity whatsoever?

retiredman
10-04-2007, 07:05 AM
To bad you were not as offended by the Moveon.org ad calling Gen Petraeus a traitor

Oh, he is trying to win the war - that explains it

and I hope that he is successful in winning the war.....

I wonder what "winning" will really look like. do you honestly expect the Iraqis to put aside their age old differences and join together in a unity government? do you honestly think that the US trained Iraqi army will NOT split up into sectarian militias as soon as we DO depart?

red states rule
10-04-2007, 07:05 AM
if you knew anything about the navy, you would know that no one is given the opportunity to be responsible for sinking more than one...and if you knew anything about my career, you would know that I was not responsible for sinking any... as a matter of fact, I got a big medal for extraordinary shiphandling when a spruance class destroyer incorrectly turned directly in front of my ship in the SOCAL OpArea... I don't sink 'em and I have done more than my share of saving them from sinking.

now again...why do you feel compelled to try to insult my military service? Do you really think that shows any maturity whatsoever?

Why it is OK for the left to really attack, smear, and insult our troops? You have so many double standards MM - like most liberals

retiredman
10-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Why it is OK for the left to really attack, smear, and insult our troops? You have so many double standards MM - like most liberals

I have never said that it is OK for anyone to really attack smear or insult our troops.

red states rule
10-04-2007, 07:24 AM
I have never said that it is OK for anyone to really attack smear or insult our troops.

Well you are very silent when the attacks come from YOUR side, and you become their defense lawyer when others call them on it

red states rule
10-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Back to the topic at hand

The Washington Times gets what the Dems are trying to do

Taxing the war

House Democrats are now divided among themselves over the best way to damage the war effort in Iraq. On Tuesday, House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey, and Reps. John Murtha and James McGovern, vowed to unilaterally block President Bush's $189 billion emergency war-funding bill and called for a new income-tax surcharge of up to 15 percent to finance the war in Iraq. Mr. Obey said he would not even consider the Pentagon's request for the new funding until early next year, and that he would work to block the president's request unless he establishes a goal of halting combat operations in Iraq by January 2009 (irregardless of the military situation there). Mr. Obey said his tax surcharge, which would range from 2 percent for lower-income taxpayers to 15 percent for the wealthiest, would raise up to $150 billion a year.

Mr. Obey's proposal was too much for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Both made it clear that while they have no qualms about seeing the military chased out of Iraq, they don't want to leave Republicans an opening to criticize their advocacy of higher taxes. But the idea of increasing taxes apparently has some appeal to triangulating Republicans and Democrats. Sen. Pete Domenici described Mr. Obey's threat as "pretty gutsy," but admitted that he wasn't sure that it could work, because it's necessary to "feed the soldiers." Sen. Judd Gregg wouldn't reject the idea out of hand, and he indicated that he might favor an unspecified "reasonable way to help pay for some of the costs" of the war. Sen. Mark Pryor didn't sound like he was as bothered by the prospect of military defeat in Iraq, as much as he was worried about the Democrats being labeled the party of tax and spend. "I think Democrats understand that is one of the tags the Republicans always try to put on us," he told the Politico. "Many Democrats are sensitive to that. Given that we're in a presidential election cycle, they don't want to give the Republicans an issue like that."

Mr. Obey and Mr. McGovern say candidly that they are pushing the tax increase in part to turn more Americans against the war. "If you don't like this war, and you don't want to pay taxes, then fight doubly hard against this war," Mr. McGovern said. Yet another reason why Mr. Obey and some of his colleagues are pressing for a tax increase is to give themselves political leverage against Mr. Bush in debating 12 mostly domestic appropriations bills that will be coming to the floor in coming weeks. Mr. Bush has indicated he will veto most of them because they are too expensive. Many Democrats see political advantage in attacking the president for slashing domestic programs while spending more money on the war.

In all likelihood, the Democrats' sabotage campaign will result in a bill containing $40 billion to $50 billion in new spending for the war in Iraq instead of the $189 billion requested by the president. The lower funding level undermines any effort to do long-term military planning, and in all likelihood it guarantees yet another ugly political fight over war funding early next year.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071004/EDITORIAL/110040001/1013

retiredman
10-04-2007, 07:36 AM

this is your statement. I have answered it.

red states rule
10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
this is your statement. I have answered it.

As a defense lawyer - not as an outraged vet

retiredman
10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
how would you know what an outraged vet sounds like? you sure as hell ain't one? lol

red states rule
10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
how would you know what an outraged vet sounds like? you sure as hell ain't one? lol

and neither are you - when the smears come from your party. You, like most moonbats, have put your party ahead of your conutry

retiredman
10-04-2007, 07:50 AM
and neither are you - when the smears come from your party. You, like most moonbats, have put your party ahead of your conutry

I disagree. this is pointless...as "conversations" with you invariably are.

red states rule
10-04-2007, 07:53 AM
I disagree. this is pointless...as "conversations" with you invariably are.

What is the problem? Your own words and inaction speak clearly on your views on the smears and insults of the troops. Before you voice any outrage you first have to check if a Dem or Republican madde the comment

If a Republican said the smear, you are pissed

If a Dem said the smear you go into defense mode