PDA

View Full Version : GOP congressman calls Trump 'a would-be tyrant'

Gunny
03-13-2022, 11:06 AM
Republican Rep. Tom Rice (https://thehill.com/people/tom-rice) (S.C.) slammed former President Trump (https://thehill.com/people/donald-trump) in a statement on Saturday following the former president’s rally in South Carolina, calling him “a would-be tyrant.”
At the rally, Trump said Rice is a “disaster” and “total fool” and criticized the congressman for voting to impeach him following the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. Rice was one of 10 GOP House members to vote for impeachment at the time.
Rice’s primary opponent, South Carolina state Rep. Russell Fry (R), who was endorsed (https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/592287-trump-endorses-gop-challenger-to-south-carolina-rep-tom-rice) by Trump last month, also spoke at the event.

In a statement following the rally, Rice hit back at Trump, saying the former president was in South Carolina "because, like no one else I've ever met, he is consumed by spite," according to local CBS affiliate WBTW (https://www.wbtw.com/news/pee-dee/florence-county/consumed-by-spite-rep-tom-rice-releases-statement-after-trump-rally/).
"I took one vote he didn't like and now he's chosen to support a yes man candidate who has and will bow to anything he says, no matter what," Rice said.
Further criticizing Fry, Rice also reiterated his opposition to the Jan. 6 attack and to Trump.
“If you want a Congressman who supports political violence in Ukraine or in the United States Capitol, who supports party over country, who supports a would-be tyrant over the Constitution, and who makes decisions based solely on re-election, then Russell Fry is your candidate,” Rice said in his statement.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/598000-gop-congressman-calls-trump-a-would-be-tyrantRepublican Rep. Tom Rice (https://thehill.com/people/tom-rice) (S.C.) slammed former President Trump (https://thehill.com/people/donald-trump) in a statement on Saturday following the former president’s rally in South Carolina, calling him “a would-be tyrant.”
At the rally, Trump said Rice is a “disaster” and “total fool” and criticized the congressman for voting to impeach him following the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. Rice was one of 10 GOP House members to vote for impeachment at the time.
Rice’s primary opponent, South Carolina state Rep. Russell Fry (R), who was endorsed (https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/592287-trump-endorses-gop-challenger-to-south-carolina-rep-tom-rice) by Trump last month, also spoke at the event.

In a statement following the rally, Rice hit back at Trump, saying the former president was in South Carolina "because, like no one else I've ever met, he is consumed by spite," according to local CBS affiliate WBTW (https://www.wbtw.com/news/pee-dee/florence-county/consumed-by-spite-rep-tom-rice-releases-statement-after-trump-rally/).
"I took one vote he didn't like and now he's chosen to support a yes man candidate who has and will bow to anything he says, no matter what," Rice said.
Further criticizing Fry, Rice also reiterated his opposition to the Jan. 6 attack and to Trump.
“If you want a Congressman who supports political violence in Ukraine or in the United States Capitol, who supports party over country, who supports a would-be tyrant over the Constitution, and who makes decisions based solely on re-election, then Russell Fry is your candidate,” Rice said in his statement.

Cheney says GOP lawmaker who called Trump a 'would-be tyrant' is right (https://thehill.com/homenews/house/598014-cheney-says-gop-lawmaker-who-called-trump-a-would-be-tyrant-is-right?utm_source=thehill&utm_medium=widgets&utm_campaign=es_recommended_content)

“If you want a Congressman who cowers to no man, who votes for what is right, even when it's hard, and who has fought like hell for the Grand Strand and Pee Dee, then I hope to earn your vote,” he continued.
Trump won the district Rice represents by an 18-point margin in 2020, but Rice won reelection that year by a still higher margin of nearly 24 points.
The Hill has reached out to Rice’s office for comment.

Gunny
03-13-2022, 11:09 AM
Pot calling the kettle back. She's as much a fanatic as Trump is.

Rep. Liz Cheney (https://thehill.com/people/elizabeth-liz-cheney) (R-Wyo.) on Sunday made made it known that she agreed with a fellow GOP member of Congress who called former President Trump (https://thehill.com/people/donald-trump) a "would-be tyrant."
Rep. Tom Rice (https://thehill.com/people/tom-rice) (R-S.C.) on Saturday condemned Trump following a rally in South Carolina, calling him a "disaster" and a "would-be tyrant." Rice accused Trump of being "consumed by spite."
Sharing a copy of The Hill's article on Rice's remarks (https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/598000-gop-congressman-calls-trump-a-would-be-tyrant) on Twitter, Cheney wrote, "@RepTomRice is right. Most of our Republican colleagues know this. Their silence enables the danger."

"Our country needs Republicans to be sane, responsible, and speak the truth," wrote Cheney (https://twitter.com/Liz_Cheney/status/1502983858681229313?s=20&t=0KaRBAB7Hd47tJJslJLnyA).
Both Rice and Cheney were among the 10 GOP House members who voted to impeach Trump after the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack.

Trump has endorsed Republican primary challengers against both Cheney and Rice in their reelection races this year, seeking retribution against the lawmakers in his party who have spoken out against him.
State Rep. Russell Fry (R), Rice's primary challenger, spoke at Trump's rally in South Carolina on Saturday night. Rice criticized Fry, accusing him of supporting a "would-be tyrant over the Constitution."
“If you want a Congressman who supports political violence in Ukraine or in the United States Capitol, who supports party over country, who supports a would-be tyrant over the Constitution, and who makes decisions based solely on re-election, then Russell Fry is your candidate,” said Rice.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/598014-cheney-says-gop-lawmaker-who-called-trump-a-would-be-tyrant-is-right

Kathianne
03-13-2022, 01:05 PM
I'd rather they'd confine the infighting, but can't say they're wrong. The system worked at preventing the worse of Trump's tendencies. If I wasn't convinced prior to 1/6, his comments since have reinforced.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't be better than Biden, but it doesn't change his tendencies. I think it would be worse if he were given another term.

Gunny
03-13-2022, 01:14 PM
I'd rather they'd confine the infighting, but can't say they're wrong. The system worked at preventing the worse of Trump's tendencies. If I wasn't convinced prior to 1/6, his comments since have reinforced.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't be better than Biden, but it doesn't change his tendencies. I think it would be worse if he were given another term.Where Cheney is wrong is she came right out accusing Trump of orchestrating 1/6 and has doubled down since. I'm not okay with that mentality from a lawmaker. This is more about her personal dislike for Trump than any facts.

The other guy I disagree with solely for voting for impeachment. There was and to this date no evidence to support impeachment. I agree with him about Trump trying to destroy each and every person that has gone against his version of events and trying to get only Trump yes men elected.

Kathianne
03-13-2022, 01:33 PM
Where Cheney is wrong is she came right out accusing Trump of orchestrating 1/6 and has doubled down since. I'm not okay with that mentality from a lawmaker. This is more about her personal dislike for Trump than any facts.

The other guy I disagree with solely for voting for impeachment. There was and to this date no evidence to support impeachment. I agree with him about Trump trying to destroy each and every person that has gone against his version of events and trying to get only Trump yes men elected.

Some of the calculus may change with midterms, if his choices for revenge do alright. Even "squeakers" will be analyzed.

NightTrain
03-13-2022, 02:04 PM
IMO, every single Republican who went along with that democrat bullshit impeachment needs to be replaced.

Both impeachment attempts were political theatre and had no legitimate base except for getting back at the Bad Orange Man.

Like him or not, voting for impeachment was wrong. No one blames democrats for going along with it because we all expect them to not follow the rules when they're guided by their feelings instead of reality. Much the same as a leftist judge deliberately perverting the law to enact their version of justice.

These Republicans are traitors and told us who they are. We need to believe them.

Here's to hoping Rice goes down just as hard as Cheney and Murkowski do in November. :beer:

Kathianne
03-13-2022, 02:21 PM
IMO, every single Republican who went along with that democrat bullshit impeachment needs to be replaced.

Both impeachment attempts were political theatre and had no legitimate base except for getting back at the Bad Orange Man.

Like him or not, voting for impeachment was wrong. No one blames democrats for going along with it because we all expect them to not follow the rules when they're guided by their feelings instead of reality. Much the same as a leftist judge deliberately perverting the law to enact their version of justice.

These Republicans are traitors and told us who they are. We need to believe them.

Here's to hoping Rice goes down just as hard as Cheney and Murkowski do in November. :beer:

I totally agree with you on the first one; the second one I agree with how it was done. I think that Trump was blocked at every move, most often unfairly. That the democrats kept allowing the lies of Shifty was unconscionable. I do think he was treated very unfairly. That doesn't make him better than what he was, especially after the 2nd election and up to today. While it's the government I blame for the skepticism we should all have of government agencies, Trump has undermined the election process itself. He really wanted, he's said so, for Pence to undo the votes.

Gunny
03-13-2022, 03:02 PM

Here's to hoping Rice goes down just as hard as Cheney and Murkowski do in November. :beer:Except taking down incumbents could lead to Dems taking their seats. Not a good strategy when taking back Congress is the goal.

Remember: agreeing with Trump is signing on to the "stolen election" accusation. An accusation with no real evidence that will hold up anywhere. Trump not letting go of 2020 is a voter turnoff for him and anyone that supports his accusations.

It's tying a thousand pound anchor around the GOP's neck.

icansayit
03-13-2022, 03:11 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXu4K7ePGwp5YE9HI0gb6Ka-fR13sW1NXZ4SZ0gJ919XHWPWldHKXrBsHhcEgjw8idaRA&usqp=CAU

NightTrain
03-13-2022, 03:24 PM
Except taking down incumbents could lead to Dems taking their seats. Not a good strategy when taking back Congress is the goal.

Remember: agreeing with Trump is signing on to the "stolen election" accusation. An accusation with no real evidence that will hold up anywhere. Trump not letting go of 2020 is a voter turnoff for him and anyone that supports his accusations.

It's tying a thousand pound anchor around the GOP's neck.

2022 is going to be an unmitigated disaster for the democrats. There is no better time than this November to excise the cancer.

I'm not a conspiracy-prone guy by any stretch, but 2020 was rife with election fraud. 81 million voted for this walnut? Please!

I do feel more comfortable than I did just a few months ago about our election integrity with various States implementing Voter ID and the common knowledge that the vast majority of Americans support it. It was very interesting and reassuring watching Texas weed out tens of thousands of illegitimate ballots in the Primary you just had.

If nothing else, 2020 exposed and highlighted areas that needed a lot of attention around the country.

Trump did get robbed, and he's still rightfully pissed about it. But he needs to swallow that bitter pill and stop talking about it.

The best thing to do is campaign on the issues and the folly of Biden's presidency - there's no shortage of failures to talk about. Americans are fully aware of how horrible things are and the polling reflects that. Forget 2020, don't be baited into rehashing poisonous spilled milk, and hammer democrats with facts.

Kathianne
03-13-2022, 03:34 PM
2022 is going to be an unmitigated disaster for the democrats. There is no better time than this November to excise the cancer.

I'm not a conspiracy-prone guy by any stretch, but 2020 was rife with election fraud. 81 million voted for this walnut? Please!

I do feel more comfortable than I did just a few months ago about our election integrity with various States implementing Voter ID and the common knowledge that the vast majority of Americans support it. It was very interesting and reassuring watching Texas weed out tens of thousands of illegitimate ballots in the Primary you just had.

If nothing else, 2020 exposed and highlighted areas that needed a lot of attention around the country.

Trump did get robbed, and he's still rightfully pissed about it. But he needs to swallow that bitter pill and stop talking about it.

The best thing to do is campaign on the issues and the folly of Biden's presidency - there's no shortage of failures to talk about. Americans are fully aware of how horrible things are and the polling reflects that. Forget 2020, don't be baited into rehashing poisonous spilled milk, and hammer democrats with facts.

If Trump did what you're suggesting, it wouldn't be a contest. Do you think he will? Truly want a big win for conservatives? Even those who didn't fall in line?

Gunny
03-13-2022, 03:35 PM

I've never said there wasn't election fraud. I was bitching about it long before Trump. Fact is, it is so embedded in the bureaucracy it can't be proven beyond a flawed system.

We don't know for a conclusive fact Trump did or didn't get robbed. Problematic in and of itself. Should be able to prove at least one. If he was "robbed", it was by those that didn't support him at the polls; which, is not illegal. I don't believe election fraud committed on the scale Trump is accusing could be carried out by anyone in this ountry without one or more persons squealing. The notion of keeping a secret in this country is a joke.

I'm 110% for voter ID, implementing it and moving on. I could care less at this point about proving Trump right or wrong. And I don't want to live through 4 years of his trying to.

NightTrain
03-13-2022, 03:50 PM
If Trump did what you're suggesting, it wouldn't be a contest. Do you think he will? Truly want a big win for conservatives? Even those who didn't fall in line?

Honestly, I don't know.

He obviously understands baiting with some trolling because he's a master at it....but when a reporter asks him about 2020, I don't know if he'll be able to resist.

And it's guaranteed that every reporter within range is going to goad him into unleashing fire & brimstone with questions about 2020.

Gunny
03-13-2022, 03:57 PM
Honestly, I don't know.

He obviously understands baiting with some trolling because he's a master at it....but when a reporter asks him about 2020, I don't know if he'll be able to resist.

And it's guaranteed that every reporter within range is going to goad him into unleashing fire & brimstone with questions about 2020.Based on the thread about Mayorkas and DHS, looks like he won't be able to say anything about 2020. Herr Himmler has announced DHS will target anyone that questions it.