PDA

View Full Version : Covid, Russia and crime: GOP presidential hopefuls take swipes at Trump’s record

Gunny
03-15-2022, 09:49 AM
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/15/2024-republicans-trump-shadow-00017212

Looks like there are some cracks in the dam. Remains to be seen if they expand. Cotton, Pence and DeSantis are apparently willing to risk the wrath of Trump in distinguishing/separating themselves from him.

Kathianne
03-15-2022, 11:45 AM
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/15/2024-republicans-trump-shadow-00017212

Looks like there are some cracks in the dam. Remains to be seen if they expand. Cotton, Pence and DeSantis are apparently willing to risk the wrath of Trump in distinguishing/separating themselves from him.

If there's at least some encouragement for folks that identify as conservative, rather than wanting to win against the other side, it's a start. Pence I've known has been campaigning of a sort since November or so. Cotton was off my radar. I wondered about DeSantis remarks back when, and noted Trump's not so pulled punch back. DeSantis backed off, he went full throttle to his reelection campaign and wife's illness.

My personal lament is that in 2015 there were so many candidates from the GOP that I considered good choices, one by one they had to pull out because the 'conservatives' recognized finally who spoke to their hopes and fears. It was overwhelmingly obvious that no one could come close. As those other candidates dropped out or optioned out, they threw their unreserved support behind the party's choice, even after very personal attacks on themselves and even family's. For me ever since, it became impossible to take any of them seriously.

Yes, it was obvious those that wouldn't truly agree with the people's choice-McConnell, Ryan, etc., but they would push his policies and back him up, even if not adoringly so. Not good enough for the president or his backers. Paying lip service and delivering results were not enough. These were not "never Trumpers" they just found him not ok. Pretty Manchin-like, though not in Manchin's position. The revenge factor was very evident from the beginning, seen as a fighter as president. These folks are still scorned by many, though without them there would be even more divisions within the country.

I personally don't see how anyone could argue that Trump's instincts were exceptional about his supporters and regarding his designs regarding policies. It was always about his temperament and character. The first made voting against Biden an easier choice for me, well that and Pelosi ripping the SOTU copy. The later has once again made it impossible for me to vote for him again, starting with the period from his loss to January 6th and continuing to today. His #1 priority is to take down anyone he views as disloyal, defined as less than total agreement with anything to with his choices or person. It's about him, not the people, not the country, not the party. If those decisions/choices work out well for any or all, well and good. If not, too bad, so sad.