PDA

View Full Version : Opinion | Putin’s Strange New Messaging on Russian TV

Gunny
03-18-2022, 12:00 PM
For those always trying to figure out what Putin could be thinking, this is an interesting editorial.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/03/17/putin-russia-state-tv-news-00018304

Kathianne
03-18-2022, 12:19 PM
For those always trying to figure out what Putin could be thinking, this is an interesting editorial.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/03/17/putin-russia-state-tv-news-00018304
That pretty much lines up with the Intel reporting that's broadcast here. Scary.

Gunny
03-18-2022, 12:39 PM
That pretty much lines up with the Intel reporting that's broadcast here. Scary.What is scary to me I mentioned in at least one other thread. With Biden at QB, we're deer in the headlights to any nuclear attack by Putin or China. Guess we can soon add Iran to that list :rolleyes:

Best I can recall, our strategic nukes are 50s thru 80s dated. Our tactical nukes Ronald Reagan era. These guys are in an arms race while our disbelieving, arrogant government is asleep at the wheel.

More concerning than our offensive strike weapons is while these others are developing weapons to evade our defensive weapons, we aren't doing anything to keep up (that I am aware of).

On top of that, in the 50th paragraph of maybe one or two articles is within a day of Biden magnanimously giving Ukraine $10M, he cut our current F-35 order by 3. Not sure what the cost of one is, but I am sure 3 will easily cover $10M and then some. So Biden plundered our defense budget for the money.

It's not just Ukraine that will suffer. Most of Europe is counting on us to defend against/respond to nuclear attack. Not to mention Japan and Australia.

Kathianne
03-18-2022, 12:42 PM
Sort of related:

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2022/03/18/nyt-this-biden-putin-feud-is-personal-maybe-too-personal-n456286

fj1200
03-18-2022, 12:46 PM
Best I can recall, our strategic nukes are 50s thru 80s dated. Our tactical nukes Ronald Reagan era.

I don't think us dropping one in response would really be a good idea. It would be an excessive escalation IMO where excessive escalation would be counterproductive.

Gunny
03-18-2022, 12:49 PM
The problem here isn’t that the feud got personal, which is Biden’s wont in any case. It’s that Biden doesn’t have a strategic bone in his body, and usually neither do his aides and advisers. The rapid clean-up on Aisle Joe from Psaki and Blinken shows just how strategically inept Biden has been, and continues to be, even in the most dangerous contexts.Ding! Ding! Ding!

Kathianne
03-18-2022, 12:51 PM
I don't think us dropping one in response would really be a good idea. It would be an excessive escalation IMO where excessive escalation would be counterproductive.
I don't know. A very loud part of me says this would need a punch back harder response. In any case, the first drop would put period on, "is this WWIII. "

fj1200
03-18-2022, 12:51 PM
GHWB and James Baker would be helpful about now.

Kathianne
03-18-2022, 12:52 PM
GHWB and James Baker would be helpful about now.
Indeed.

fj1200
03-18-2022, 12:53 PM
I don't know. A very loud part of me says this would need a punch back harder response. In any case, the first drop would put period on, "is this WWIII. "

I didn't mean to imply not striking back hard(er). I'm sure we can strike back plenty hard without going that route.

Gunny
03-18-2022, 01:01 PM
I don't think us dropping one in response would really be a good idea. It would be an excessive escalation IMO where excessive escalation would be counterproductive.I don't think using one at all is okay. However, you're dealing with a people that understand only brute force. Hitting back harder, and more importantly incapacitating its ability to strike again is the goal.

The problem is reaction time. Nuclear weapons are pretty much instantaneous. Conventional reprisal takes a lot longer and just gives him time to launch more.

The worst case scenario is right before our eyes: Serial killer vs unfocused, vacillating coward.

Gunny
03-18-2022, 01:04 PM
GHWB and James Baker would be helpful about now.Never would have happened with GWB in office. Putin wouldn't have taken the risk.

Kathianne
03-18-2022, 01:37 PM
According to Turkey:

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/03/18/putin-tells-erdogan-i-have-four-conditions-for-peace-in-ukraine-n456350

Gunny
03-18-2022, 01:50 PM
According to Turkey:

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/03/18/putin-tells-erdogan-i-have-four-conditions-for-peace-in-ukraine-n456350Last first: I mention in another "counteroffensive" thread that I would use exactly the hit and run tactics being suggested and avoid pitched battle as suggested.

As far as the list of demands, there's also another thread that mentions a face to face between Putin and Zelenskiy. My ass. People that get near Putin tend to get poisoned. No way that meeting would happen in any manner that wouldn't offend the Hell out of Putin (strip search).

The rest is as open to interpretation as the author suggests. My deal would be "GTF out of my country, to include Crimea and Donbas, and call it a day. Crime and Donbas can vote on the issue.

I thorw in that last because in every lie there is a kernel of truth. Don't know how much. Donbas could easily be majority ethnic Russians. If they choose to go with Russia I'd toos him that bone.

Crimea, no. Too strategically important and gives Russia an easy place to defend to stage troops in case there's a next time.