PDA

View Full Version : Is someone being a mooch a deal breaker for you?

tailfins
03-21-2022, 02:03 PM
One thing that turns me off is seeing how abrupt some people are when they cross paths with a mooch. I notice this particularly relative to how Cuban-Americans treat Cubans on the island. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say no without being mean. For me it's not a deal breaker if the person has an otherwise pleasant disposition. It's not that hard to say something like "No can do." without losing one's temper. Latin America and for that matter India is also full of such people, By not properly handling these situations, many social opportunities are lost. Avoiding a belittling response doesn't make one less of a person. If any thing, the opposite is true. There's no need to be a sucker by saying yes, but there's also every reason to respond with a calm "no".

Gunny
03-22-2022, 09:03 AM
One thing that turns me off is seeing how abrupt some people are when they cross paths with a mooch. I notice this particularly relative to how Cuban-Americans treat Cubans on the island. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say no without being mean. For me it's not a deal breaker if the person has an otherwise pleasant disposition. It's not that hard to say something like "No can do." without losing one's temper. Latin America and for that matter India is also full of such people, By not properly handling these situations, many social opportunities are lost. Avoiding a belittling response doesn't make one less of a person. If any thing, the opposite is true. There's no need to be a sucker by saying yes, but there's also every reason to respond with a calm "no".

Kind of stupid, isn't it? You go to their country but don't want to be bothered by the conditions that weren't in the brochure :rolleyes:

They're everywhere in SE Asia and Mexico. In SE Asia, if you buy from one, a hundred more kids with trinkets and knock-off cologne appear out of thin air. WHne I was a troop, I just sort of ignored them. When I had Gunny money, I'd end up with a bag full of trinkets. "Gifts" for relatives back in the World. "Look what I got you in Bali":laugh:

Those people have nothing. At the level most people here cannot comprehend.

SassyLady
03-22-2022, 12:03 PM
I use the opportunity to practice negotiating skills.