PDA

View Full Version : Troops Want Respect - Not Pity

red states rule
10-04-2007, 05:57 AM
A great article on what our troops want from us. They are herod soing their job to the best of their ability.

If only the left would support the war on terror with as much energy as they do the war on smoking

Modern Heroes

BY ROBERT D. KAPLAN
Thursday, October 4, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

I'm weary of seeing news stories about wounded soldiers and assertions of "support" for the troops mixed with suggestions of the futility of our military efforts in Iraq. Why aren't there more accounts of what the troops actually do? How about narrations of individual battles and skirmishes, of their ever-evolving interactions with Iraqi troops and locals in Baghdad and Anbar province, and of increasingly resourceful "patterning" of terrorist networks that goes on daily in tactical operations centers?

The sad and often unspoken truth of the matter is this: Americans have been conditioned less to understand Iraq's complex military reality than to feel sorry for those who are part of it.

The media struggles in good faith to respect our troops, but too often it merely pities them. I am generalizing, of course. Indeed, there are regular, stellar exceptions, quite often in the most prominent liberal publications, from our best military correspondents. But exceptions don't quite cut it amidst the barrage of "news," which too often descends into therapy for those who are not fighting, rather than matter-of-fact stories related by those who are.

As one battalion commander complained to me, in words repeated by other soldiers and marines: "Has anyone noticed that we now have a volunteer Army? I'm a warrior. It's my job to fight." Every journalist has a different network of military contacts. Mine come at me with the following theme: We want to be admired for our technical proficiency--for what we do, not for what we suffer. We are not victims. We are privileged.

for the complete article

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010686

Psychoblues
10-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Our Troops do everything asked of them and to the very best of their abilities, rsr. How about you giving them the respect they deserve and agreeing to fairly compensate them for their service, their time, their on the job injuries and illnesses and giving them a job for which they are trained and have the ability to accomplish. That would be a great way to RESPECT them!!!!!!!!!!! I've done and am still doing my very damn best to see that all of that is accomplished in my enormous respect for our Troops.

In my spare time I address Veterans issues and there are far too many of them than you indicate you would admit.

red states rule
10-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Our Troops do everything asked of them and to the very best of their abilities, rsr. How about you giving them the respect they deserve and agreeing to fairly compensate them for their service, their time, their on the job injuries and illnesses and giving them a job for which they are trained and have the ability to accomplish. That would be a great way to RESPECT them!!!!!!!!!!! I've done and am still doing my very damn best to see that all of that is accomplished in my enormous respect for our Troops.

In my spare time I address Veterans issues and there are far too many of them than you indicate you would admit.

Maybe one day your party will show the troops respect instead of smearing and insulting them.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon however

Psychoblues
10-10-2007, 11:16 PM
You only repeat the lies that you believe as told to you by the party that most disrespects our troops, rsr.

Maybe one day your party will show the troops respect instead of smearing and insulting them.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon however

Just where have I or any Democrat with whom I would call a compatriot done any smearing or insulting as you intimate?

red states rule
10-11-2007, 06:08 AM
You only repeat the lies that you believe as told to you by the party that most disrespects our troops, rsr.

Just where have I or any Democrat with whom I would call a compatriot done any smearing or insulting as you intimate?

"and there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the -- of -- of -- of -- historical customs, religious customs, whether you like it or not." John Kerry

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.” John Kerry

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags or some mad regime — Pol Pot or others — that had no concern for human beings," Sen Dick Durbin

"I believe that this war is lost, and this surge is not accomplishing anything, as is shown by the extreme violence in Iraq this week" Sen Harry Reid

"They bring Petraeus back - purely political move. Petraeus comes back here. He doesn't talk to any of us. He only talks to the news media and so forth trying to sell this program." John Murtha

"Marines killed innocent civilians in cold blood," John Murtha

Need more?