Life changing.

Missileman
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
what's it like?

Which service?

Mr. P
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Which service?

My first thought was what Gunny said, "Hell".
My second thought was, except for the Air force & Navy.

So I settled for 'Life changing'. Covers it all, no?

Missileman
10-04-2007, 10:19 PM
My first thought was what Gunny said, "Hell".
My second thought was, except for the Air force & Navy.

So I settled for 'Life changing'. Covers it all, no?

Been almost 30 years since I went through AF basic training. It was a picnic compared to my subsequent 6-month stint in hell-on-earth...Rantoul, Il.

I do believe that "Life changing" will cover it.

darin
10-04-2007, 10:52 PM
what's it like?

it's like a place where the beer flows like wine, and the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

Too broad a question. Today's BCT in the Army is unlike what I went through in 1992. It's...softer. Considering signing up, brother?

10-05-2007, 01:44 AM
it's like a place where the beer flows like wine, and the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

Too broad a question. Today's BCT in the Army is unlike what I went through in 1992. It's...softer. Considering signing up, brother?

im getting JAG recruiting stuff and im considering it but i dont think i could get in due to my health reasons. thats one of the main reasons i havent done it before.

AFbombloader
10-05-2007, 05:59 AM
im getting JAG recruiting stuff and im considering it but i dont think i could get in due to my health reasons. thats one of the main reasons i havent done it before.

Which branch are you looking into? I am an AF recruiter so I can answer your questions concerning your health issues. Private message me if you want.

AF BMT isn't as easy as most people think, but it isn't hard either. If you approach it with the mindset that is will be challenging, you will make it through. The MTI's will "raise their vouces", but they cannot hit you. You do Physicay fittness 6 days a week. You leard AF history, dress and appearance, customs and courtesys, etc.... You will spend the majority of your time in classes and on the drill pad.

AF:salute:

5stringJeff
10-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Life-changing is a great description. Also, it will make you understand who you are as a person.

82Marine89
10-05-2007, 07:32 AM
A great recruiting poster...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/82Marine89/marine-football.jpg

5stringJeff
10-05-2007, 07:35 AM
A great recruiting poster...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/82Marine89/marine-football.jpg

And here I thought it was because Marines couldn't figure out how to read a playbook. :D

Monkeybone
10-05-2007, 08:02 AM
i agree with Jeff, but my first thought was that because Navy and Marine officers go to the same college since you know...Marine's are basically Navy.

darin
10-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Would you like to chat with an Army JAG attorney? I've spoken to the guy prosecuting some fairly popular cases, several times. He's a good guy, and I think would have no problem answering a few of your questions.

:)

re: health...there's generally a 'waiver' for EVERYTHING. :D

gabosaurus
10-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I have read where that is why the current military does not measure up to past years: they have "dumbed down" basic training.
My dad's best friend, who served in Viet Nam, told me a few years ago that basic training now is like a luxury hotel compared to basic training 30 years ago.

Abbey Marie
10-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Giving birth is life-changing. :)

gabosaurus
10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I have heard that having children is life changing. I guess I will find out next summer when my husband and I adopt.

darin
10-05-2007, 12:21 PM
My dad's best friend, who served in Viet Nam, told me a few years ago that basic training now is like a luxury hotel compared to basic training 30 years ago.

Tougher Basic does not immediately mean 'better' ;)

Abbey Marie
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I have heard that having children is life changing. I guess I will find out next summer when my husband and I adopt.

Congrats in advance, Gabby!

Mr. P
10-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Tougher Basic does not immediately mean 'better' ;)

But it builds tougher soldiers. :wink2:

darin
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
But it builds tougher soldiers. :wink2:

Generally - yup.

Gaffer
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
41 years ago I went into basic training for the Army. Our senior drill instructor had come over to the army from the Marines. The first thing he told us when we got there was that he couldn't give us Marine basic train, but he was going to get us as close as possible to it as he could.

Life changing is a good way to describe it as I don't know what its like today. When I went through it was Hell. We lived a spartan life and trained 7 days a week. The movie "Full Metal Jacket" gives a pretty good idea of what basic was like at least back then. Though it can't capture the extreme boredom that goes with it. Basic teaches personal hygien, social interaction and how to follow orders. The real training starts after basic.

When I went into the Air Force I did have to go to basic because of my prior service. I did spend 6 months at Rantoul, Il. though. A real pissy place.