PDA

View Full Version : Mexico auto repair pros and cons

tailfins
05-10-2022, 09:26 AM
I have wanted to again drive a standard shift vehicle now that my sons are adults. Everything automotive related in the USA is crazy right now. A new car means getting charged $34K for a $28K car. Parts for recent models are unattainable and price gouged when they are. I wound up buying an older 6 cylinder Japanese car with a 6 speed manual transmission for $3K with no obvious engine problems or signs of being in a collision. USA car shops cost around $150 per hour and often have a wait list.

Mexican labor rates run about USD 25 to 35 per hour. However, some dealerships are prohibited by the manufacturer from servicing a vehicle purchased in the USA. That means being forced to use independent mechanics. Piedras Negras, Coahuila seems to be the safest border city and car theft is much less of a problem. USA comp and collision insurance is good within 20 km of the USA border, unless you have USAA, then it's 75 miles. That means that you only need to buy Mexican liability insurance if you stay with 20 km of the border. Google reviews can help you find good shops. My paint job had an estimate of $9K in Texas. It was $2,500 in Mexico for a GOOD paint job. I buy my parts/supplies in the USA which are readily available for cars 14+ years old when the patents/copyrights expire. I have spent about $10K on the restoration, mostly for parts. I use new, not remanufactured parts where possible. I did the following:

New paint job, including hail damage repair
Restore air conditioning system
Restore clutch system (hardware, hydraulics, linkages)
New Michelin tires
New struts
New alternator
New belts
New battery
Fix oil leaks
New brakes
Fix emissions issues (done in Texas)
New windshield (done in Eagle Pass) .... Some prices in Eagle Pass are cheaper due to needing to compete with Mexico

Most of the Mexican shops were great, except for the one that installed the struts which likes to scratch your paint and cross-thread nuts. Thankfully the auto body shop fixed the damage from the suspension shop as a courtesy (no charge).