PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court deals Biden climate agenda serious blow with EPA decision

Gunny
06-30-2022, 11:22 AM
Wonder how this is going to effect the EPA's plan to shut off parts of the Permean Basin next month? But Joe is doing everything he can :rolleyes:

The Supreme Court dealt a significant blow to the Biden administration’s climate change agenda (https://www.foxbusiness.com/category/climate-change), ruling Thursday that the Environmental Protection Agency cannot pass sweeping regulations that could overhaul entire industries without additional congressional approval.

The 6-3 decision limits how far the executive branch can go in forcing new environmental regulations on its own.
"Capping carbon dioxide emissions at a level that will force a nationwide transition away from the use of coal to generate electricity may be a sensible ‘solution to the crisis of the day,’ But it is not plausible that Congress gave EPA the authority to adopt on its own such a regulatory scheme in Section 111(d)," Chief Justice John Roberts said in the Court's opinion, referencing Section 111 of the Clean Air Act. "A decision of such magnitude and consequence rests with Congress itself, or an agency acting pursuant to a clear delegation from that representative body."
complete article: https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/supreme-court-deals-biden-climate-agenda-serious-blow-epa-decision

Gunny
06-30-2022, 11:37 AM
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/supreme-court-climate-ruling-returned-power

Kathianne
06-30-2022, 11:41 AM
Much like OSHA rein in years ago. Agencies are to enforce, not make laws.

fj1200
06-30-2022, 01:33 PM
Wonder how this is going to effect the EPA's plan to shut off parts of the Permean Basin next month? But Joe is doing everything he can :rolleyes:

Don't know the answer to that but you asked about the administrative state in another thread a couple of months ago. This starts to dismantle it. How fast depends on if they did away with the Chevron Doctrine (https://law.stanford.edu/2018/08/02/kavanaugh-and-the-chevron-doctrine/). I haven't heard that discussed yet today.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-01-2022, 07:24 AM
Don't know the answer to that but you asked about the administrative state in another thread a couple of months ago. This starts to dismantle it. How fast depends on if they did away with the Chevron Doctrine (https://law.stanford.edu/2018/08/02/kavanaugh-and-the-chevron-doctrine/). I haven't heard that discussed yet today.

Demorats are masters at delegating out to other government agencies that which they cannot get voted into law by Congress. So the Chevron Doctrine bows to its most active master, or so it seems.
Why?
Because that master has seen fit to make it into another avenue to push its agenda, whereas, the Republicans have not done so.
A perfect example of how a clever, devious behavior/methodology/ \approach reaps rich fruits for its practicing master(s), imho.--Tyr

fj1200
07-01-2022, 08:44 AM
Demorats are masters at delegating out to other government agencies that which they cannot get voted into law by Congress. So the Chevron Doctrine bows to its most active master, or so it seems.
Why?
Because that master has seen fit to make it into another avenue to push its agenda, whereas, the Republicans have not done so.
A perfect example of how a clever, devious behavior/methodology/ \approach reaps rich fruits for its practicing master(s), imho.--Tyr

Yeah... it's really not that devious. It's just a continuation of a lazy legislature content to delegate away tough decisions and the lack of a Senate beholden to the various state's legislatures. It may take time to continually chip away at it but it also took time to reverse Roe.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-01-2022, 09:15 AM
Yeah... it's really not that devious. It's just a continuation of a lazy legislature content to delegate away tough decisions and the lack of a Senate beholden to the various state's legislatures. It may take time to continually chip away at it but it also took time to reverse Roe.

Ok, my comment about how devious it is, was primarily based upon my knowledge/assumption that the dem party is wholely owned by the globalists and thus does their nefarious biddings. Your comment fairs quite well, if one discounts the fact(in my opinion), that globalists are in the mix- calling the shots, imho.
And that is why I quite adamantly and do so quite proudly call the dem party traitors to this nation.--:saluting2:
Especially true of its top leaders....
My education was the early 60's onward and has never stopped ...
I was never blinded by the lib/dem/leftist agenda driven propaganda /bullshit..

There is much to be said, about dedicating ones' life to non-stop learning/ reading/writings as I have done for 62 years now -since age 6...--Tyr

fj1200
07-01-2022, 03:07 PM
Ok, my comment about how devious it is, was primarily based upon my knowledge/assumption that the dem party is wholely owned by the globalists and thus does their nefarious biddings. Your comment fairs quite well, if one discounts the fact(in my opinion), that globalists are in the mix- calling the shots, imho.
And that is why I quite adamantly and do so quite proudly call the dem party traitors to this nation.--:saluting2:
Especially true of its top leaders....
My education was the early 60's onward and has never stopped ...
I was never blinded by the lib/dem/leftist agenda driven propaganda /bullshit..

There is much to be said, about dedicating ones' life to non-stop learning/ reading/writings as I have done for 62 years now -since age 6...--Tyr

The problem is your premises. You can't have a fact (in opinion) and blame dems (when Republicans were more than willing to delegate their responsibility) and keep your premise alive. My facts (in opinion) are Congress is lazy, Chevron was put into place by a majority of the court appointed by Republicans, and government regulations are bad. Even Scalia apparently liked Chevron for a time. It's hard to blame globalists when they're not very good at holding power.

Gunny
07-01-2022, 07:35 PM
The problem is your premises. You can't have a fact (in opinion) and blame dems (when Republicans were more than willing to delegate their responsibility) and keep your premise alive. My facts (in opinion) are Congress is lazy, Chevron was put into place by a majority of the court appointed by Republicans, and government regulations are bad. Even Scalia apparently liked Chevron for a time. It's hard to blame globalists when they're not very good at holding power.
IIRC, Nixon is the one who weaponized the EPA. At the time, it seemed reasonable given the unchecked pollution we were spewing all over everything. I do not recall a time since that the EPA was not writing its own rules. Seems to me there are more than a few EPA rules being followed that just got their teeth pulled, going as far back as Carter and HIS war on the oil industry.

As to my previous comment, the Permean Basin supplies 40-ish percent of our oil. The EPA is looking at using its air measuring and re-measuring BS to shut about half of it down.

fj1200
07-02-2022, 10:49 AM
IIRC, Nixon is the one who weaponized the EPA. At the time, it seemed reasonable given the unchecked pollution we were spewing all over everything. I do not recall a time since that the EPA was not writing its own rules. Seems to me there are more than a few EPA rules being followed that just got their teeth pulled, going as far back as Carter and HIS war on the oil industry.

As to my previous comment, the Permean Basin supplies 40-ish percent of our oil. The EPA is looking at using its air measuring and re-measuring BS to shut about half of it down.

Can't speak to him weaponizing it but he did establish it by EO. It took another 14 years for SCOTUS to grant the Executive branch excessive regulatory power via Chevron and almost 40 years for Chevron to die; quick or drawn-out not sure yet. Republican hands on it the whole way, my point being not the globalists. Nevertheless you should be happy with the recent turn of events.

I do think an EPA is a necessary evil authorized by the Commerce Clause and necessitated by interstate commerce. Overreach notwithstanding.

Gunny
07-02-2022, 11:03 AM
Can't speak to him weaponizing it but he did establish it by EO. It took another 14 years for SCOTUS to grant the Executive branch excessive regulatory power via Chevron and almost 40 years for Chevron to die; quick or drawn-out not sure yet. Republican hands on it the whole way, my point being not the globalists. Nevertheless you should be happy with the recent turn of events.

I do think an EPA is a necessary evil authorized by the Commerce Clause and necessitated by interstate commerce. Overreach notwithstanding.

Herein lies the problem: Another good idea ruined by power-hungry idealogues. There's no moderation.

Having grown up where you could drive down the interstate lined with litter, and seeing stuff floating in a brown Potomac, I agree the bad actors need oversight. Unnecessary pollution annoys the crap out of me. There should be balance between what we take from the land and what we put back into it.

Meaning I'm for responsible use of our natural resources. American energy is the cleanest in the World. I certainly am not for cutting our own throats as Biden is doing; especially, when energy is driving the war in Europe and killing our wallets.

Again, just a little common sense would go a long way. So would an apolitical EPA.