PDA

View Full Version : The defective auto parts crisis

tailfins
08-11-2022, 09:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOzQI80-k0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCWzVjhags

I can direct you to an abundance of videos reporting the same problem. Why isn't this news?

The problem isn't just parts, but with new cars as well.

Sometimes the comments tell a bigger story than the video:

I've worked for Ford and GM as a master tech for a number of years. I apologize if this gets a bit long, but I feel you might think this is worth the read. This is happening with FACTORY REPLACEMENT PARTS. This is not limited to the aftermarket. There is 0 quality control even with service replacement parts under warranty...or even out of the factory. I can't even get a damn tailgate latch that isn't cheaply made anymore...Everything is so cheaply made and sold at a premium and its absolutely rediculous. The number of parts on SPAC case and back order is insane. I could provide you with spreadsheets from GM with transmissions on back order, 6l80s, 9T45s....torque converter failures under warranty like crazy for shuddering....I literally, and I am not joking, cannot get automatic transmission fluid (Dex6 specifically) when I need it. I'm honestly considering a career change. What do you tell customers when they come in for a warranty part replacement and then GM tells you the service replacement part they sent you that they waited 6 months backorder for that their new part is defective? Purge solenoids and pumps on turbo cars are notorious for this currently. I feel awful for people that run out and spend 50-60-70+ thousand on a brand new vehicle for them to not even make it to the first oil change without catastrophic failure of some sort only to tell them, oh sorry we can't fix the thing....you're shit out of luck....that doesn't fly very well with customers that just spent a mortgage payment on a vehicle that made it 20k miles before the engine blew up or a module went down...and the replacement part is as defective....I'm not joking when I say I have an Equinox in the shop that we have gone through 7 BCM's and have yet to get a good one, back and forth with GM engineering and they don't have a clue what's wrong. One got so hot during a programming event it melted. I can't even get Tahoes and Silverados off the delivery truck that don't have issues starting...We aren't talking just dead batteries we are talking bent pushrods or total communication network failures. I had a Sonic in today...5 miles on it...flashing battery light, charging system and battery test fine...AFM lifters...Bosch electronic sensors...had 3 transmissions leak fluid through the case...no cracks just way too pourous aluminum housing...turbo housings cracking or leaking oil and plugging up intercoolers, Even Denso O2 sensors bad out of the box.... I could go on for hours. We cannot get body control modules, ECMs as service replacement parts that will even take so much as PROGRAM without failing...hard parts...brake rotors are chinsy and rust apart, hell even brake pads, I have even notice terrible quality copper in battery cables causing high resistance situations and no start conditions....we are in big trouble and the days of the backyard mechanic are going wayside...very, very fast.