PDA

View Full Version : Agree with me or begone?

BoogyMan
08-15-2022, 06:30 PM
Have you noticed lately how the 18 to 30 year old crowd seems to be withdrawing from anyone and anything that doesn't affirm their closely held beliefs? I am not attaching an article to this thread or a reference to some public writing, but just wanted to see what your thoughts were. I grew up valuing friendships and political views, while fun to tussle over from time to time, never would have been allowed to interfere.

One of my favorite relationships was with a guy that just couldn't understand my politics at all, no matter what, but we got together weekly to sit and talk because our friendship was bigger and better than politics.

The current "if you don't think like me you must be shunned" mindset is going to make sure that we can never again see peace, and I am not so sure that isn't the idea behind it.

Thoughts?

Gunny
08-15-2022, 06:51 PM
Have you noticed lately how the 18 to 30 year old crowd seems to be withdrawing from anyone and anything that doesn't affirm their closely held beliefs? I am not attaching an article to this thread or a reference to some public writing, but just wanted to see what your thoughts were. I grew up valuing friendships and political views, while fun to tussle over from time to time, never would have been allowed to interfere.

One of my favorite relationships was with a guy that just couldn't understand my politics at all, no matter what, but we got together weekly to sit and talk because our friendship was bigger and better than politics.

The current "if you don't think like me you must be shunned" mindset is going to make sure that we can never again see peace, and I am not so sure that isn't the idea behind it.

Thoughts?The left's culture of division, intolerance and hate demands it of them. At the same time, I have become more and more intolerant of the their/the nonsense.

In all of the above, no one is really trying to solve any problems/issues. Just amass power to themselves and destroy anyone that doesn't agree with them. Most of all, they are doing everything the possibly can to destroy hope, and it's obvious.

BoogyMan
08-15-2022, 08:52 PM
I see that in what is happening all over the place. What gets me most is that I see these young people talking about cutting of their parents, brothers/sisters, cousins. Families are imploding all around us and the ideology of these rabid leftists is behind a good bit of it.

The left's culture of division, intolerance and hate demands it of them. At the same time, I have become more and more intolerant of the their/the nonsense.

In all of the above, no one is really trying to solve any problems/issues. Just amass power to themselves and destroy anyone that doesn't agree with them. Most of all, they are doing everything the possibly can to destroy hope, and it's obvious.

icansayit
08-16-2022, 01:35 AM
What Gen Z, or X, or the Millennials refuse to understand IMO is..
Nothing they are demanding today is gonna come unless THEY LEARN TO WORK and be PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for THEMSELVES.

Mom and Dad's basement won't be available for ever...even though they are convinced....SOMEBODY MUST TAKE CARE OF THEM FOREVER.

revelarts
08-16-2022, 07:24 AM
It's especially pronounced on the woke left,
But we've seen the same on the right with many Trump supporters.
If someone questions various aspects of Trump's policies, person or his sincerity then your views, "facts" and person are not welcomed AT ALL.
You are an enemy and will be shouted down... if not shunned from the camp.
Often it was/is people 30, 40, 50+ who lived there. At least for a while.

jimnyc
08-16-2022, 10:15 AM
When I was a kid things were much different. Less electronics so we were all outside. Politics was rarely discussed - but even when old enough to do so and understand, none of us ever let it get between us either.

Political beliefs is one thing but relationships and friendships are another. Today, seems like more and more folks are willing to simply drop those relationships over disagreements.

I blame the media more than anyone.

fj1200
08-16-2022, 10:26 AM
I blame the media more than anyone.

I blame social media. Every moron thinks they're a deep thinker these days even when they mostly parrot others.

jimnyc
08-16-2022, 10:33 AM
I blame social media. Every moron thinks they're a deep thinker these days even when they mostly parrot others.

True true!

That's why I always like it here best. A place meant for it and not shoving it in the faces of friends and relatives.

I can't even begin to count the amount of "deleted friends" that happened on Facebook over the past 10 years. Politics on social media has done a lot of harm to society.

Black Diamond
08-16-2022, 03:04 PM

Thoughts?

That can have it that way. I'm fine with it.

SassyLady
08-16-2022, 04:51 PM
My granddaughter is University educated and a teacher. She's so liberal she called her dad, mother, step-dad, stepmother and me supporters of sexual harassment because we supported Trump, Justice Kavanaugh and any other conservative who was accused of sexual harassment. If you try to tell her that it hasn't been proven and mention Bill Clinton, etc. she refuses to discuss. She's cut all of us off at one time or another until she needs something or feels left out of family functions. I blame University and social media.

My grandson's are conservative and not University educated.

icansayit
08-16-2022, 05:57 PM
My granddaughter is University educated and a teacher. She's so liberal she called her dad, mother, step-dad, stepmother and me supporters of sexual harassment because we supported Trump, Justice Kavanaugh and any other conservative who was accused of sexual harassment. If you try to tell her that it hasn't been proven and mention Bill Clinton, etc. she refuses to discuss. She's cut all of us off at one time or another until she needs something or feels left out of family functions. I blame University and social media.

My grandson's are conservative and not University educated.

I do wonder how she, and others who think that way will be able to make it in the future. Once they begin to understand...THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN.?

Black Diamond
08-16-2022, 06:00 PM
I do wonder how she, and others who think that way will be able to make it in the future. Once they begin to understand...THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN.?

By speaking Chinese.

SassyLady
08-16-2022, 06:30 PM
They'll either adapt or die off. My daughter was liberal until she married a businessman. Then she registered as republican when Hillary ran the first time. She hates that woman with a passion and then she really started paying attention. So, there's hope my granddaughter will "awaken" one day.

SassyLady
08-16-2022, 06:31 PM
By speaking Chinese.

Well, she is fluent in Mandarin, Spanish, Latin and sign language. No Russian though.

BoogyMan
08-16-2022, 07:12 PM
I have seen this as fact with regard to my cousin. In a discussion shortly after Trump was elected I said that I wished he would not use EOs because we need to actually govern and not dictate and my cousin lost his mind. Still won’t talk to me because he claims I am a whiny liberal.

He actually thinks that because I disagreed with a policy position that I am a bleeding heart liberal.

It's especially pronounced on the woke left,
But we've seen the same on the right with many Trump supporters.
If someone questions various aspects of Trump's policies, person or his sincerity then your views, "facts" and person are not welcomed AT ALL.
You are an enemy and will be shouted down... if not shunned from the camp.
Often it was/is people 30, 40, 50+ who lived there. At least for a while.

BoogyMan
08-16-2022, 07:13 PM
I am watching this cancerous hate-based garbage destroy families and friendships, all because politics are different. It is absolutely nuts and we have to reverse it if this country is to continue to stand.

That can have it that way. I'm fine with it.

Black Diamond
08-16-2022, 08:10 PM
Well, she is fluent in Mandarin, Spanish, Latin and sign language. No Russian though.

Oh I was thinking of millennial in general. Didn't want to single out your granddaughter

Black Diamond
08-16-2022, 08:21 PM
I am watching this cancerous hate-based garbage destroy families and friendships, all because politics are different. It is absolutely nuts and we have to reverse it if this country is to continue to stand.

Good luck reversing it.