PDA

View Full Version : Jackson water crisis: A legacy of environmental racism?

Gunny
09-04-2022, 09:59 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62783900

Now it's "environmental racism" :rolleyes: Seems to me, this has a whole lot to do with aging infrastructure, and a half a century at least's worth of empty Dem promises for votes. "Vote Dem. We'll take care of you" :rolleyes:

Where is the uproar by Congressional Dems who control the House? The Puppethead himself occupying the WH? I can tell you where Schumer is -- he's in NY pushing Dems to vote for the Trump-chose, less-electable candidate.

The Dems are just too damned busy waging war against Trump and/or the GOP to care about you poor, Southern black folk:rolleyes:

Be sure and vote Dem. They'll tell you all about how this is the Republicans' fault, and promise you a handout.:rolleyes:

revelarts
09-04-2022, 12:01 PM
Here's the thing this isn't new.
"environmental racism" has been talked about since the 1920s if I'm not mistaken.
it takes many forms such as some toxic land fill bieng placed next to the minority neighhood.
OR realestate developments put on former toxic landfills and sold to minorities.
Or toxic manufacturing plants next to or in minority or poor areas... happens to poor "white trash" too.
Tainted water supply from the source or just substandard water facilities for minority areas.
Lead paint laws/rules in old apartments in minority areas overlooked etc etc

the history is long and would curl your toes, if anyone cared to look at it with some objectivity.
just because the "racist" label gets tossed on everything nowadays doesn't mean it's always 100% off base.

And as far as it being a D or an R problem. neither party seems to really care.

Gunny
09-04-2022, 12:18 PM
"environmental racism" has been talked about since the 1920s if I'm not mistaken.
it takes many forms such as some toxic land fill bieng placed next to the minority neighhood.
OR realestate developments put on former toxic landfills and sold to minorities.
Or toxic manufacturing plants next to or in minority or poor areas... happens to poor "white trash" too.
Tainted water supply from the source or just substandard water facilities for minority areas.
Lead paint laws/rules in old apartments in minority areas overlooked etc etc

the history is long and would curl your toes, if anyone cared to look at it with some objectivity.
just because the "racist" label gets tossed on everything nowadays doesn't mean it's always 100% off base.

And as far as it being a D or an R problem. neither party seems to really care.

Thank you for finally stating something I have been saying for 40 years. It's not just minorities. It's poor people who can't afford to fight the system and the system doesn't care WTF your color is. You get substandard shit, if that, when everybody else has had theirs.

revelarts
09-04-2022, 12:32 PM
Thank you for finally stating something I have been saying for 40 years. It's not just minorities. It's poor people who can't afford to fight the system and the system doesn't care WTF your color is. You get substandard shit, if that, when everybody else has had theirs.

absolutely.
Here's a funny thing about that, remember when Jesse Jackson was running for president, he had had a group called the "rainbow coalition"
(it was before homosexuals co-oped the rainbow.)
When he used it it was about all races of the poor & lower middle class being together to supposedly deal with issues like this.
supposedly

Communist aren't all wrong when they point out class issues.
Their solutions are mostly crap, but the problems they point to are often very real.

fj1200
09-04-2022, 02:25 PM

Maybe this however is incompetence on the part of those running Jackson MS water system.

Gunny
09-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Maybe this however is incompetence on the part of those running Jackson MS water system.One can point a finger at that as an immediate cause. I'm more pointing a finger at long term, institutional negligence. That's more about individual/personal greed than race, IMO. I guarantee you half or more of Jackson's city council is black and Democrat.

It always takes some National spotlight when it's too late to slap a bandaid on it to get folks to pay attention to places like this and it is by far not the only place "like this". We ALL drive by them every day.

BoogyMan
09-04-2022, 05:23 PM
Exactly what I have been thinking. The social justice crowd wants this to be a wedge issue, but the municipality of Jackson gets a complete pass? This has EVERYTHING to do with ineffective and self-serving local government.

One can point a finger at that as an immediate cause. I'm more pointing a finger at long term, institutional negligence. That's more about individual/personal greed than race, IMO. I guarantee you half or more of Jackson's city council is black and Democrat.

It always takes some National spotlight when it's too late to slap a bandaid on it to get folks to pay attention to places like this and it is by far not the only place "like this". We ALL drive by them every day.

fj1200
09-05-2022, 08:34 AM
I'm more pointing a finger at long term, institutional negligence.

That's where I was going. I heard some chatter about this the other day on the radio but I've not confirmed what I've heard. Almost undoubtedly a long-term problem though.

revelarts
09-06-2022, 10:58 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbrzOzhXgAAyWJ5?format=jpg&name=small

Jackson, MS this month. Supposedly you can boil it.

also

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fbwy5bdWYAEIr7d?format=jpg&name=small