PDA

View Full Version : Florida and Hurricane Ian

jimnyc
09-28-2022, 12:05 PM
This hurricane is just about coming ashore right now. It's a category 4 just shy of a 5. As an aside, hurricane Sandy was a category 1 when it hit NY/NJ and cost $70 billion in damage and endless losses of property.

I'm nervous for my Dad. He is 7 miles in land from Punta Gorda / Port Charlotte harbor, right where the eye is coming ashore. Best case is a cat 3. He has a somewhat safer home but his trailer may be history by the end of this. They are expecting a storm surge of anywhere from 8 - 20 feet of water! My Dad said local news said the possibility of up to 190mph gusts. Yikes!

And from weather.com:

LOCATIONS AFFECTED - Port Charlotte - Punta Gorda - Charlotte harbor

WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Cat 4 Hurricane force wind - Peak Wind Forecast: 125-145 mph with gusts to 180 mph - Window for Tropical Storm force winds: until Thursday afternoon - Window for Hurricane force winds: until early Thursday morning

jimnyc
09-28-2022, 12:08 PM
And from livestream from NBC news, showing 155mph winds and the gusts. (and I'm hearing still another 2 hours before landfall:

https://i.imgur.com/ZhkjNZy.png

fj1200
09-28-2022, 12:21 PM
Hoping for the best.

Kathianne
09-28-2022, 12:26 PM
Yep, I've been glued. My brother is in Lakewood Ranch, outside Bradenton in Mantee County. He and SIL took off to Smokies in TN, meeting their WI daughter and family.

His other daughter's home on island in Tampa Bay, had to evacuate, so they are at brother's place. While the storm surge there is predicted to be @10ft, they are 30 miles iand and the home is less than 2 years old, so all hurricane proofing in place. Still, one prays damages not great and no loss of life.

jimnyc
09-28-2022, 12:41 PM
Yep, I've been glued. My brother is in Lakewood Ranch, outside Bradenton in Mantee County. He and SIL took off to Smokies in TN, meeting their WI daughter and family.

His other daughter's home on island in Tampa Bay, had to evacuate, so they are at brother's place. While the storm surge there is predicted to be @10ft, they are 30 miles iand and the home is less than 2 years old, so all hurricane proofing in place. Still, one prays damages not great and no loss of life.

Tampa must feel a little better as they were prepping to be destroyed, as the entire area is in major flood zone! Evacuation was the right thing and I tried to talk my Dad into doing so. All he was worried about was his trailer. I told him 2 days ago it was predicted to run up along the coast and then a little closer to land at Tampa - but to bail anyway as they are unpredictable and could very well turn right and/or get stronger. Well, it got stronger and he's about to be a direct hit.

Kath, glad to hear your family bailed, and I hope their property and such stays safe.

jimnyc
09-28-2022, 12:48 PM

Just heard that Bradenton was perhaps looking at up to an 18ft surge.

BoogyMan
09-28-2022, 01:02 PM
Wow, prayerful for all involved. I can't imagine what these folks are going through.

Kathianne
09-28-2022, 01:06 PM
Just heard that Bradenton was perhaps looking at up to an 18ft surge.

Yeah, I've been seeing that too. I've not been there yet, buy hopefully with 30miles from gulf I'm being positive prayers for your dad and all the folks down there.

Mr. P
09-28-2022, 02:00 PM
Jim, this is live accurate information on the progress of the storm.
This guy really knows his stuff and he's reliable.

https://youtu.be/as5ktgoPLJc

Kathianne
09-28-2022, 02:04 PM
Well, watching FOX and they just had video of Lakewood Ranch, my brother's place where niece and family went after evacuating Tampa. Lots of flooding in heavy rain. Buildings looked OK, roofs on, Shutters all down. It's a nearly 45k planned golf community. I'm hoping when the pouring eases, the water will flow to all the reservoirs. Prayers continue. I was pretty surprised to have that loc pop up.

jimnyc
09-28-2022, 04:39 PM
Well, watching FOX and they just had video of Lakewood Ranch, my brother's place where niece and family went after evacuating Tampa. Lots of flooding in heavy rain. Buildings looked OK, roofs on, Shutters all down. It's a nearly 45k planned golf community. I'm hoping when the pouring eases, the water will flow to all the reservoirs. Prayers continue. I was pretty surprised to have that loc pop up.

I know it's about high tide in Port Charlotte and I imagine similar in many other areas. The return winds and surge should be happening now or quite soon.

I know my Dad is without power but if that's the least he'll be quite lucky. We'll see about the trailer tomorrow or the next. It's not nearly over but winds starting to diminish a fair amount in a lot of areas but who knows what is fully behind the eye now.

Bilgerat
09-29-2022, 09:38 AM
Just checking in here. The Lady & I live just outside of Okeechobee, Sitting up in Maine & watching on camera's it seems that we lost some shingles from the roof but nothing else seems
"bad"

Kathianne
09-29-2022, 09:54 AM
Just checking in here. The Lady & I live just outside of Okeechobee, Sitting up in Maine & watching on camera's it seems that we lost some shingles from the roof but nothing else seems
"bad"
Glad to hear it.

Talked to my brother late last night. My niece doesn't know how her home fared in Tampa, but told my brother his place is fine. Still had power after midnight! Water rushing towards golf courses, but not in buildings.

darin
09-29-2022, 11:14 AM
Kind of disappointed that the cone / path seems to be much farther south than I'd hope- we likely won't get anything but a little drizzle :(

hjmick
09-29-2022, 11:14 AM
Well Hell... Looks like we're next, though it won't be a Cat 4. They say the bastard Ian will reach Cat 1 just before coming on shore around Charleston. We were hoping for a tropical storm down around the Georgia/South Carolina state line. So much for hope...

My aunt is stuck down in Naples, for some reason she didn't evacuate. Not the brightest of my mother's siblings...

Mr. P
09-29-2022, 01:02 PM
Kind of disappointed that the cone / path seems to be much farther south than I'd hope- we likely won't get anything but a little drizzle :(

Where are you these days D?

jimnyc
09-29-2022, 03:06 PM
Well Hell... Looks like we're next, though it won't be a Cat 4. They say the bastard Ian will reach Cat 1 just before coming on shore around Charleston. We were hoping for a tropical storm down around the Georgia/South Carolina state line. So much for hope...

My aunt is stuck down in Naples, for some reason she didn't evacuate. Not the brightest of my mother's siblings...

Oh man, saw some videos today from not only flooded Fort Myers but mass flooding in Naples as well. :(

jimnyc
09-29-2022, 03:08 PM
We lost contact with my Dad at like 7pm last night and he is dead center in the middle of the power outages. Desantis said it's more than just a wire on a pole being reattached, that perhaps the entire infrastructure may need rebuilding before some get power.

He has no power but a generator, but even with would have no cell service in the area and no internet access. None of us can get a hold of him to see how they fared and how the home made it throughout and his trailer.

I guess for now we have to play the waiting game until he gets cell service somewhere. This sucks.

Gunny
09-29-2022, 03:21 PM
Biden's a lot of help. The usual from him when it's American citizens in distress.:rolleyes:

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/hurricane-ian-tracker-2022-news-path-weather-09-29-2022

Kathianne
09-29-2022, 04:50 PM
We lost contact with my Dad at like 7pm last night and he is dead center in the middle of the power outages. Desantis said it's more than just a wire on a pole being reattached, that perhaps the entire infrastructure may need rebuilding before some get power.

He has no power but a generator, but even with would have no cell service in the area and no internet access. None of us can get a hold of him to see how they fared and how the home made it throughout and his trailer.

I guess for now we have to play the waiting game until he gets cell service somewhere. This sucks.

I was lucky with brother. First he wasn't on FL, which made it easier, though my niece from Tampa evacuated to his home. He talked to her, they didn't even lose power. Buried cable in newer huge development. At least from what he heard, didneven lose roofing tiles. Lucky indeed. Lots of water, but she said it sounded like it was rushing for golf courses after rain slowed.

darin
09-29-2022, 05:19 PM
Where are you these days D?

People's Republic of Maryland... :-/

They took my 20k/year pay raise to move here and turned it into 7800/year take home :(

Mr. P
09-30-2022, 12:03 AM
People's Republic of Maryland... :-/

They took my 20k/year pay raise to move here and turned it into 7800/year take home :(

That stinks. Leave it to Sam to screw things up!