PDA

View Full Version : How It's Done

Kathianne
09-28-2022, 07:48 PM
Ok, he's a bit smug and combative for my tastes in general, but he's looking better and better:

NEWS & POLITICSThe Left Is Hoping DeSantis Botches Hurricane Response. Here's What They Didn't Count On.
BY PAULA BOLYARD 6:34 PM ON SEPTEMBER 28, 2022

Nothing tests the mettle of a governor like a natural disaster, with hurricanes being among the worst. Emergency efforts include everything from rescue and recovery of victims, to restoration of power, to distribution of needed supplies, to rebuilding cities affected by the storm.

Hurricane Ian, a massive Category 4 storm, made landfall in Florida on Wednesday afternoon, but the worst may be yet to come with storm surges, massive power outages that could last for days, and major rainfall expected.

During a press conference on Wednesday evening, Gov. Ron DeSantis warned that Floridians are still “in a very hazardous situation.” But he assured residents that the state is making a “great logistical effort to put all hands on deck” with a “massive surge of personnel and supplies to help those in need.”

Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) director Kevin Guthrie told reporters that DeSantis has hardly left his side over the last few days and worked with him until late last night. “The governor is extremely committed to being involved in the hurricane response,” he said.

On Tuesday afternoon, DeSantis’s office sent out a press release outlining the state’s response to the storm — and it’s extraordinary. Not only does his plan include assisting with practical needs like the provision of food and water, but the governor has also ordered agencies to cut red tape to ensure that people get the help they need, including waiving rules that prevent people from refilling their prescriptions early, and releasing SNAP benefits (food stamps) early to allow people to stock up on food ahead of the hurricane. DeSantis has also ensured that 100% of senior care homes have generators, and the state has supplies staged and ready to be deployed the moment it’s safe for first responders to enter the affected areas.

Related: Biden’s Depletion of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve Could Be Catastrophic Soon

Many on the left — who are predisposed to hate DeSantis — have been caught hoping he’ll fail and predicting a massive death toll — because that’ll show the cons or something. But a quick glance at the governor’s emergency preparations gives lie to their predictions.

State preparation and response efforts include:

The Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) response:

FDEM has activated the State Assistance Information Line (SAIL) to provide an additional resource for Floridians to receive up-to-date information regarding Hurricane Ian.

Liaisons are being identified and deployed to counties to provide on-site response assistance and to conduct damage assessments after the storm.

An Incident Management Team (IMT) from Ohio is en route to Florida to ensure additional support for response and recovery efforts after the storm.

FDEM is deploying several hundred shelter support staff to address staffing needs in counties that have opened their Special Needs hurricane shelters.

FDEM is leading the State Emergency Response Team (SERT) for the Hurricane Ian response, with more than 350 SERT members staffing the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC).

The Division has received more than 600 resource requests for Hurricane Ian and fulfilled 495. Requests are currently being processed and are either en route or being mobilized. This includes the coordination of resources such as: trucks of food and water, generators and water pumps.

160 truckloads (85 loads of water and 75 loads of MREs) are ready to deploy, with some of this supply already en route to Hillsborough and Pinellas counties.

Several hundred generators and pumps, in addition to debris equipment, have been staged for response and recovery efforts.100,000 tarps to protect homes and allow more residents to stay at home rather than in a public shelter.

Five Florida Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) Teams are activated, and will be prepared to deploy to impacted areas. Federal USAR Teams from Virginia, Texas and Indiana stand ready to assist in response and recovery efforts, and a federal USAR Team from Ohio is currently mobilizing.

FDEM is currently coordinating the provision of meals for first responders staged in Orange County.

FDEM has begun setting up a Logistical Staging Area in Polk County and is identifying potential additional staging areas and points of distribution to ensure food and water are readily available if counties request it.

FDEM has loaded 360 trailers with over 2 million meals and over one million gallons of water in preparation for distribution to impacted areas.

FDEM is in constant communication with all 67 county emergency management offices and state agencies to coordinate protective actions and needed resources ahead of potential storm impacts.FDEM is coordinating with utilities to ensure crews are prepared to respond and restore power. Utility providers have more than 30,000 linemen staged and prepared for power restoration efforts.

BoogyMan
09-28-2022, 08:24 PM
I really believe the attitude is in direct correlation to the media and DNC working hand in hand. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a snide media weasel try and take a cheap shot at the guy and he keeps his cool but doesn't put up with any foolishness.

I may cut the guy more slack that I should because I absolutely despise the modern media, I have to be aware of that as well, but at least I am cognizant of my bias.

jimnyc
09-29-2022, 03:13 PM
I've watched a TON of his since the hurricane was coming inward and he's been on top of things non-stop. There has been a massive response. Mass trucks coming in from out of state as well to help with so many power issues and other stuff.

No reason for them to try and find a way to crap on him while he's in the midst of responding the best he can to a disaster.

Gunny
09-29-2022, 03:15 PM
I really believe the attitude is in direct correlation to the media and DNC working hand in hand. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a snide media weasel try and take a cheap shot at the guy and he keeps his cool but doesn't put up with any foolishness.

I may cut the guy more slack that I should because I absolutely despise the modern media, I have to be aware of that as well, but at least I am cognizant of my bias.The left will go after him regardless.