PDA

View Full Version : Religous Retreats?.........anyone

manu1959
10-07-2007, 10:46 PM
every year i go on one of these wife the wife and family....

we drive down to the santa cruz mountains and stay in a cabin.....no tv no phone...pretty much no heat...

300 other folks from our church.....

this year our cabin was a virtual tree house....way too cool....

kids had a blast....

4 year old daughter climbed a 40' high climbing wall....

9 year old son went on a BIG swing over a creek...

wife and i just sat and talked like the good old days.....

rather nice to spend a weekend with friends and famliy where all you can do is talk and play and eat and watch the sun rise and set.....

Guernicaa
10-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Fuck no.

Hippie retreats? Fuck yeah.

I go to Grassroots every year:
http://www.grassrootsfest.org/Trumansburg/

It's basically one of the biggest hippie fests in NY.
Right near Ithaca. Figures.

Guernicaa
10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Wait I shouldn't say that.

I went on a paintball retreat when I was in 10th grade because I had to in order to be confirmed. (They offered a series of retreats and you had to do at least one)

But that was fun. I play paintball anyway so it wasn't like I hated it.

Guernicaa
10-07-2007, 11:02 PM
What denomination are you manu?

JackDaniels
10-07-2007, 11:09 PM

we drive down to the santa cruz mountains and stay in a cabin.....no tv no phone...pretty much no heat...

kids had a blast....

rather nice to spend a weekend with friends and famliy where all you can do is talk and play and eat and watch the sun rise and set.....

I used to work with a guy who went on religious retreats...christian ones are often cults, muslims have the same kind of religious retreats you do, only they are called sleeper cells.

manu1959
10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
What denomination are you manu?

i am a c note

manu1959
10-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I used to work with a guy who went on religious retreats...christian ones are often cults, muslims have the same kind of religious retreats you do, only they are called sleeper cells.

i wouldn't call quality time with your family and yourself and your friends and nature.....a cult....would it shock you if i said i don't believe in god.....what surprises me at theses retreats is the effect god has on people....

darin
10-07-2007, 11:41 PM
...christian ones are often cults, muslims have the same kind of religious retreats you do, only they are called sleeper cells.

Dumbest thing I've read in three days. :(

Abbey Marie
10-07-2007, 11:50 PM

You would have done better to not display your ignorance quite so openly. Now there will be no doubt about you.

JackDaniels
10-08-2007, 12:20 AM

Maybe one day you can educate yourself?

JohnDoe
10-08-2007, 02:27 AM

kids had a blast....

sounds wonderful! i have it near every day here....with dial up so slow ya gotta just shut it down sometimes and satelite tv a hit or miss too, my husband and i have spent much more time together taking nature walks or just sitting on the screen deck watching all the birds and animal feed.

it is nice to get back to nature, without all the gadgets,

but no religious retreats...haven't been on one.

AND, why did you tell me you weren't Christian? geez am i gullible, i believed you! :(

jd

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 06:16 AM
would it shock you if i said i don't believe in god.....

somewhat, since you referred to "our church" and you took your family on the retreat.....

though it reminds me of a story McManus tells of his emergent church in LA....they had a regular attendee who was quite active in worship....raised his hands during songs, prayed....but was adamant he didn't believe in God.....he came to McManusand asked to be baptized.....McManus says "but, you don't believe in God".....and he replied, "Yes, but you are all baptized...I want to belong"........

Cheyenne
10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
every year i go on one of these .........rather nice to spend a weekend with friends and famliy where all you can do is talk and play and eat and watch the sun rise and set.....What a marvelous way to bond the family and connect with the wife. We get so bogged down with making a living we sometimes forget about the loving.
Kudos to you.

manu1959
10-08-2007, 10:25 AM

that is saying quite a bit given the amount truthdoesntmatter posts....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
sounds wonderful! i have it near every day here....with dial up so slow ya gotta just shut it down sometimes and satelite tv a hit or miss too, my husband and i have spent much more time together taking nature walks or just sitting on the screen deck watching all the birds and animal feed.

it is nice to get back to nature, without all the gadgets,

but no religious retreats...haven't been on one.

AND, why did you tell me you weren't Christian? geez am i gullible, i believed you! :(

jd

i am not a christian....doesn't stop me from going and enjoying myself....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 10:29 AM
somewhat, since you referred to "our church" and you took your family on the retreat.....

though it reminds me of a story McManus tells of his emergent church in LA....they had a regular attendee who was quite active in worship....raised his hands during songs, prayed....but was adamant he didn't believe in God.....he came to McManusand asked to be baptized.....McManus says "but, you don't believe in God".....and he replied, "Yes, but you are all baptized...I want to belong"........

well it is my wife and kids church and i am with them so i said our and i drove and paid for it so i took them ..... don't you do things for your wife and family because it is the right thing to do ......

manu1959
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
What a marvelous way to bond the family and connect with the wife. We get so bogged down with making a living we sometimes forget about the loving.
Kudos to you.

not going to take credit for it ... my wife gets the credit....i just drove and paid for it...and enjoyed myself....

Cheyenne
10-08-2007, 11:06 AM
not going to take credit for it ... my wife gets the credit....i just drove and paid for it...and enjoyed myself....

Then kudos to her. Women are usually the keepers of the relationship. Sounds like she's doing her job. Show her you appreciate it.

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
don't you do things for your wife and family because it is the right thing to do ......

of course....I just hope there isn't a long gap between realizing it's the right thing to do and realizing why it's the right thing......:)

darin
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Maybe one day you can educate yourself?

ooh...burn. think of that all by yourself, didja?

manu1959
10-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Then kudos to her. Women are usually the keepers of the relationship. Sounds like she's doing her job. Show her you appreciate it.

any particular reason you assume i don't.....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 05:11 PM
of course....I just hope there isn't a long gap between realizing it's the right thing to do and realizing why it's the right thing......:)

any particular reason you assume i don't....

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 07:30 PM

???...because you told me so.....you said you didn't believe in God.....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 07:33 PM
???...because you told me so.....you said you didn't believe in God.....

why do you belive that i am unable to "realize it's the right thing to do and realize why it's the right thing".....is one only able to do that if they believe in god....

April15
10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Mt. Herman is a nice place as I remember.

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
why do you belive that i am unable to "realize it's the right thing to do and realize why it's the right thing".....is one only able to do that if they believe in god....

come on, Manu.....if you didn't think there was a difference, why didn't you take your family to Las Vegas instead......you were the one that pointed out that religious retreats were a good place to take the family....don't go all hostile on me simply because I point out there is a reason for that......I'm saying it's the right thing BECAUSE they believe in God.....

Kathianne
10-08-2007, 09:16 PM
come on, Manu.....if you didn't think there was a difference, why didn't you take your family to Las Vegas instead......you were the one that pointed out that religious retreats were a good place to take the family....don't go all hostile on me simply because I point out there is a reason for that......I'm saying it's the right thing BECAUSE they believe in God.....

I wouldn't presume to speak for Manu, but there is a heck of a lot of difference between a cabin w/o tv, phone, etc., where the kids play all day and adults go for walks to 'pray or meditate' and Las Vegas or DisneyWorld/Land. There is more time to relax and get an attitude adjustment that religious or not, there is too little of nowadays.

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
/shrugs....and there are places to go with cabins and trees and peace and quiet that aren't religious retreats.....

why are you folks trying to take this someplace I hadn't intended?

Kathianne
10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
/shrugs....and there are places to go with cabins and trees and peace and quiet that aren't religious retreats.....

why are you folks trying to take this someplace I hadn't intended?

I thought Manu started this thread? *shrugs*

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
and I thought you were talking to me....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 09:21 PM

you are the one that challenged my decission making ability ....

am i not allowed to defend myself .....

it is the right thing because it is the right thing .... the presence of a christian god is not required in order to do the right thing otherwise 605 to 70% of the world would not be able to choose right from wrong and yet somehow they do.....and they end up doing it fo the right reason even when judged after the fact by a set of criteria they were unaware existed....

right and wrong is inate in humans.....it takes effort to make a bad decission....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't presume to speak for Manu, but there is a heck of a lot of difference between a cabin w/o tv, phone, etc., where the kids play all day and adults go for walks to 'pray or meditate' and Las Vegas or DisneyWorld/Land. There is more time to relax and get an attitude adjustment that religious or not, there is too little of nowadays.

yes it is called being open minded.....and teaching your children about things that you may not fully embrace your self......i do the same thing when i explain politics and the iraq war.....my children will learn all sides of every issue and get to pick

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 09:24 PM
you are the one that challenged my decission making ability ....

???....where did you get that idea from???....

you have completely missed the point of my post.....I wasn't referring to your decision to spend time with your wife, I was referring to the fact that the religious retreat was the "right thing".....

get the blasted chip off your shoulder.....

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
yes it is called being open minded.....and teaching your children about things that you may not fully embrace your self......i do the same thing when i explain politics and the iraq war.....my children will learn all sides of every issue and get to pick

and I would say your response to my comment shows a closed mind....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
and I would say your response to my comment shows a closed mind....

i would say that freud would accuse you of projection.....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
???....where did you get that idea from???....

you have completely missed the point of my post.....I wasn't referring to your decision to spend time with your wife, I was referring to the fact that the religious retreat was the "right thing".....

get the blasted chip off your shoulder.....

then i shall back up....

"i just hope there isn't a long gap between realizing it's the right thing to do and realizing why it's the right thing"

so was this meant as a compliment or a dig?

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
neither, it was meant as a statement that I hope your wife is soon able to convince you to believe in God.....you already recognize that it's a good thing to hang around with other families that believe in God, or you WOULD go to somewhere besides a religious retreat

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2007, 09:34 PM
i would say that freud would accuse you of projection.....

your freud's a fraud.....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 09:42 PM
neither, it was meant as a statement that I hope your wife is soon able to convince you to believe in God.....you already recognize that it's a good thing to hang around with other families that believe in God, or you WOULD go to somewhere besides a religious retreat

... it is my responsibilty to choose a relationship with god ... not my wife's ....

i had one once .... it ended badly ..... but you never know what can happen in life ....

as for why we go .... i choose to put the needs of my wife and children before that of my own ....

i do so enjoy this thread each year and the judgmental posts ..... remindes me of some of the families this weekend....

manu1959
10-08-2007, 09:42 PM
your freud's a fraud.....

how open minded of you........

Cheyenne
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I assumed nothing. It was merely a statement.

manu1959
10-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I assumed nothing. It was merely a statement.

your statment was "Show her you appreciate it." .....

i would only need to do that if i hadn't or don't .....

why would you assume i hadn't or don't .....

Cheyenne
10-08-2007, 11:03 PM
your statment was "Show her you appreciate it." .....

i would only need to do that if i hadn't or don't .....

why would you assume i hadn't or don't .....Again I assume nothing.
Maybe I should have added, I hope you....show her you appreciate it.

I'm trying to figure out why you are on such the defensive with me.

manu1959
10-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Again I assume nothing.
Maybe I should have added, I hope you....show her you appreciate it.

I'm trying to figure out why you are on such the defensive with me.

thanks for the clarification....not defensive, just trying to understand what you were saying...

manu1959
10-08-2007, 11:07 PM
so am i the only one here that goes on these adventures?

Psychoblues
10-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Burned your ass, didn't he, dmp?

ooh...burn. think of that all by yourself, didja?

Just admit it when you don't get it so the visitors can understand, how 'bout it?

PostmodernProphet
10-09-2007, 05:25 AM
how open minded of you........
projecting?

PostmodernProphet
10-09-2007, 05:28 AM
... it is my responsibilty to choose a relationship with god ... not my wife's ....
it's your responsibility to decide, it's every Christian's responsibility to communicate.....