PDA

View Full Version : Bono: My Place Has Changed Regarding Global Solutions

Kathianne
10-27-2022, 04:40 PM
Moving right. Capitalism is the answer, ugh! LOL!

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/10/bono-has-found-what-hes-looking-for-capitalism/

icansayit
10-27-2022, 04:46 PM
The truth about his hating Capitalism has hit him...RIGHT IN THE WALLET.

Kathianne
10-27-2022, 05:01 PM
The truth about his hating Capitalism has hit him...RIGHT IN THE WALLET.

You must have missed:

Bono is no slouch himself when it comes to wealth (estimates put his fortune at around $700 million, making him one of the wealthiest musicians of all time). And he’s been close with billionaires, including Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, over the years.

Bono told Marchese of his personal evolution over his 62 years of life so far:

I ended up as an activist in a very different place from where I started. I thought that if we just redistributed resources, then we could solve every problem. I now know that’s not true. There’s a funny moment when you realize that as an activist: The off-ramp out of extreme poverty is, ugh, commerce, it’s entrepreneurial capitalism.

Take out the “ugh” in the last sentence, and that paragraph could have been written for Capital Matters.

He went on to say:

I spend a lot of time in countries all over Africa, and they’re like, Eh, we wouldn’t mind a little more globalization actually. . . . How are things going for the bottom billion? Be careful to placard the poorest of the poor on politics when they are fighting for their lives. It’s very easy to become patronizing. Capitalism is a wild beast. We need to tame it. But globalization has brought more people out of poverty than any other -ism. If somebody comes to me with a better idea, I’ll sign up. I didn’t grow up to like the idea that we’ve made heroes out of businesspeople, but if you’re bringing jobs to a community and treating people well, then you are a hero. That’s where I’ve ended up.

As Jim Pethokoukis wrote, Bono is unquestionably correct about the effects of globalization on extreme poverty. In 1990, about 38 percent of the world’s population lived on less than $2.15 per day, the international definition for extreme poverty. In 2019, only about 8 percent lived below that line (and yes, that’s adjusted for inflation and the cost of living). What used to be a problem for over a third of the world’s people is now a problem for less than a tenth of them.

Gunny
10-27-2022, 05:54 PM
Moving right. Capitalism is the answer, ugh! LOL!

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/10/bono-has-found-what-hes-looking-for-capitalism/Not a fan. Didn't U2 have a couple of hits in the 80s?

Not so odd. Every single one of these left-weenies I'm aware of has made all their money the old-fashioned, American way: capitalism. They aren't against capitalism. They are against conservative capitalists that have enough power to thwart them.

The Bono piggy bank must be running short on donations :rolleyes:

Gunny
10-27-2022, 06:02 PM
You must have missed:Did I mention "not a fan"? :)

What I'm reading is that he shut his mouth long enough to learn what a lot of have known for years: people need money to invest. Can't invest what the government takes away. I've seen how the government spends our money in foreign countries. Worse than how it spends it here at home. Lot of bureaucratic waste and graft.

Kathianne
10-27-2022, 06:13 PM
Did I mention "not a fan"? :)

What I'm reading is that he shut his mouth long enough to learn what a lot of have known for years: people need money to invest. Can't invest what the government takes away. I've seen how the government spends our money in foreign countries. Worse than how it spends it here at home. Lot of bureaucratic waste and graft.

Personally I'm glad whenever someone has a moment of awareness. Glad Bono has and that he's speaking out about ut.

Gunny
10-27-2022, 06:38 PM
Personally I'm glad whenever someone has a moment of awareness. Glad Bono has and that he's speaking out about ut.I can see that. On the other hand (where I generally reside :)), it annoys me when it's "okay" when a snowflake like Bono says what others have been saying for years.

You should get that as well as I do. How many years have we been saying the same crap on this board and presumably others then someone will come along and state the exact same thing like they just discovered gold? I've seen it happen with a lot of things YOU have posted over the years.

Just sayin' :)

Kathianne
10-27-2022, 07:13 PM
I can see that. On the other hand (where I generally reside :)), it annoys me when it's "okay" when a snowflake like Bono says what others have been saying for years.

You should get that as well as I do. How many years have we been saying the same crap on this board and presumably others then someone will come along and state the exact same thing like they just discovered gold? I've seen it happen with a lot of things YOU have posted over the years.

Just sayin' :)

True, it is annoying. Still better that they get it, finally, than not.

fj1200
10-28-2022, 07:35 AM
You must have missed:

Thanks for the clip. My free views have run out. :eek:

But this isn't really a new thinking from Bono that I've seen. He's been talking the global anti-poverty benefits for a decade or two.

Gunny
10-28-2022, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the clip. My free views have run out. :eek:

But this isn't really a new thinking from Bono that I've seen. He's been talking the global anti-poverty benefits for a decade or two.Freeloading on Kathianne? :slap: