PDA

View Full Version : County Clerks Refuse To Issue Driver's Licences to Illegals

red states rule
10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
29 County Clerks - 28 Republican and one Democrat - have said they will NOT issue driver licenses to illegals in NY when a new law which permits it

BRAVO to all of them. This law is insane

Defiant county clerks blast driver's license policy change

Joseph Spector
Albany bureau

Post Comment

(October 5, 2007) — ALBANY — County clerks from across New York came out Thursday against Gov. Eliot Spitzer's policy to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses, with some clerks vowing to turn their backs on the governor's directive.

Twenty-nine clerks, all but one a Republican, voted in favor of a resolution to oppose the Democratic governor's recent policy change to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses without having Social Security numbers.

And 13 of those — including from Monroe, Putnam and Greene counties — pledged to disobey the governor, even if they are ordered to follow the policy.

The clerks warned that the new policy could fuel terrorism and overburden their offices' ability to determine who is in the state legally.

At one point, Monroe County Clerk Cheryl Dinolfo got up and asked the state to rescind the policy.

"What we are doing here is legitimizing illegal behavior," she said. "And I find it wrong."

The county clerks from Genesee, Livingston, Steuben, Wayne and Yates counties were among the other clerks objecting to the policy.

"This is not the right time" for the policy, said Putnam County Clerk Dennis Sant. "We're in war and we're at war with terrorists that came in here and attacked our state and the greatest city in the world, and we've got to put a stop on this."

Spitzer's policy has increasingly come under fire from Republicans and county clerks after he announced it last month. Assembly Republicans are threatening to go to court to stop the policy, while Senate Republicans plan to pass legislation to thwart the plan.

for the complete article

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...WS01/710050375

hjmick
10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
While I agree completely with the stand they are taking, I can only hope that, when these 29 hit the unemployment line, the media doesn't blame Bush for the increase in the unemployment numbers.

red states rule
10-08-2007, 04:08 PM
While I agree completely with the stand they are taking, I can only hope that, when these 29 hit the unemployment line, the media doesn't blame Bush for the increase in the unemployment numbers.

You know they will. The Gov who wanted this law is a Dem

To the liberal media, Dems can do no wrong. If they do the Republicans tricked them and/or set them up

5stringJeff
10-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Good for them!

Gaffer
10-08-2007, 09:24 PM

The thing is, they are all elected officials. The governor has no say over what they do. So they are not likely to be unemployed any time soon.

hjmick
10-08-2007, 09:26 PM
The thing is, they are all elected officials. The governor has no say over what they do. So they are not likely to be unemployed any time soon.

I hadn't thought of that. Hell, they're all likely to get re-elected taking a stand like this on this issue.

red states rule
10-09-2007, 06:18 AM
I hadn't thought of that. Hell, they're all likely to get re-elected taking a stand like this on this issue.

I wonder how the NY Times will cover this story. "Heartless Republicans deny undocumented workers ability to drive the work. Women and children hardest hit"

Hugh Lincoln
10-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I support them 100 percent.

actsnoblemartin
10-09-2007, 10:50 PM
the law is insane, and if their fired, i hope they sue the pants of spitzer and new york.

29 County Clerks - 28 Republican and one Democrat - have said they will NOT issue driver licenses to illegals in NY when a new law which permits it

BRAVO to all of them. This law is insane

Defiant county clerks blast driver's license policy change

Joseph Spector
Albany bureau

Post Comment

(October 5, 2007) — ALBANY — County clerks from across New York came out Thursday against Gov. Eliot Spitzer's policy to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses, with some clerks vowing to turn their backs on the governor's directive.

Twenty-nine clerks, all but one a Republican, voted in favor of a resolution to oppose the Democratic governor's recent policy change to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses without having Social Security numbers.

And 13 of those — including from Monroe, Putnam and Greene counties — pledged to disobey the governor, even if they are ordered to follow the policy.

The clerks warned that the new policy could fuel terrorism and overburden their offices' ability to determine who is in the state legally.

At one point, Monroe County Clerk Cheryl Dinolfo got up and asked the state to rescind the policy.

"What we are doing here is legitimizing illegal behavior," she said. "And I find it wrong."

The county clerks from Genesee, Livingston, Steuben, Wayne and Yates counties were among the other clerks objecting to the policy.

"This is not the right time" for the policy, said Putnam County Clerk Dennis Sant. "We're in war and we're at war with terrorists that came in here and attacked our state and the greatest city in the world, and we've got to put a stop on this."

Spitzer's policy has increasingly come under fire from Republicans and county clerks after he announced it last month. Assembly Republicans are threatening to go to court to stop the policy, while Senate Republicans plan to pass legislation to thwart the plan.

for the complete article

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...WS01/710050375