PDA

View Full Version : US midterm results: Why Democrats winning control of Senate matters

Gunny
11-13-2022, 12:24 PM
Sums it up oretty nicely. Biden can go on packing the lower courts with leftwingnuts, and if a vacancy comes on the Supreme Court, Republicans can't block Biden's pick.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63613264

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 01:37 PM
Oh well at least we didn't elect trump endorsed candidates right?

Kathianne
11-13-2022, 01:50 PM
Oh well at least we didn't elect trump endorsed candidates right?

If only others couldn't vote, things would be so much better. Trump has tight control on an ever shrinking percentage of a minority of the right. What I'm seeing is that many of those on the right, are just upset they can't pull off what they accuse the left doing with elections.

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 02:03 PM
If only others couldn't vote, things would be so much better. Trump has tight control on an ever shrinking percentage of a minority of the right. What I'm seeing is that many of those on the right, are just upset they can't pull off what they accuse the left doing with elections.
I'm not thinking any of that.
But my sympathies for people are running out.

Kathianne
11-13-2022, 02:11 PM
I'm not thinking any of that.
But my sympathies for people are running out.

I'm super pissed about this election, in case it wasn't clear. Graham's stupid push for national abortion ban certainly helped to energize democrats that had been quieting down on the issue, faced with inflation-good ole' Lindsay had to wake the woke up. Sheesh.

Then there were the very bad candidates that Trump pushed to punish those he felt had screwed him, which were all conservatives. So, while his candidates won solid Red areas, in all battlegrounds they lost or seriously struggled or still do. But they were loyal in saying Trump won 2020. Sheesh.

Elections matter, IF the right gains the house, at least they can curtail the spending. Senate lost, yes, along with judicial appointments and other advised and consent issues. AZ could have had a relatively popular governor run against Kelly and he would have won. Trump wanted the other who agreed stolen election should have been overturned. Battleground after battleground-areas that truly mattered for control, Trump undermined and that ever shrinking core, well they applaud.

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 02:49 PM
I'm super pissed about this election, in case it wasn't clear. Graham's stupid push for national abortion ban certainly helped to energize democrats that had been quieting down on the issue, faced with inflation-good ole' Lindsay had to wake the woke up. Sheesh.

Then there were the very bad candidates that Trump pushed to punish those he felt had screwed him, which were all conservatives. So, while his candidates won solid Red areas, in all battlegrounds they lost or seriously struggled or still do. But they were loyal in saying Trump won 2020. Sheesh.

Elections matter, IF the right gains the house, at least they can curtail the spending. Senate lost, yes, along with judicial appointments and other advised and consent issues. AZ could have had a relatively popular governor run against Kelly and he would have won. Trump wanted the other who agreed stolen election should have been overturned. Battleground after battleground-areas that truly mattered for control, Trump undermined and that ever shrinking core, well they applaud.
There should not be any applause. Let's pretend for a moment that trump is transforming the party and that this election was a sacrifice in achieving that. For the next two years Biden will continue to ruin the country.
I don't understand voters who say ahh. Election denier. Vote dem given crime, education, all the things you outlined a, couple days ago.
I don't care if the republican gets all his her news from Q'Anon. He or she would get my vote over the status quo.

Kathianne
11-13-2022, 02:55 PM
There should not be any applause. Let's pretend for a moment that trump is transforming the party and that this election was a sacrifice in achieving that. For the next two years Biden will continue to ruin the country.
I don't understand voters who say ahh. Election denier. Vote dem given crime, education, all the things you outlined a, couple days ago.
I don't care if the republican gets all his her news from Q'Anon. He or she would get my vote over the status quo.

I guess our differences come over how the party is being transformed. Bitter, divisiveness is not what I'm looking for, not in a party, not with whom I choose to associate with in my regular life. I don't like mean people, I don't like liars.

I've never voted for Dems in place of a trumper choice, not once. Not sure where you're getting that.

Many folks did though, it's why so many 'republicans' lost. Some just went, 'Trump endorsed? Nope.' Others, 'election denier, nope.' Still others, 'Roe? Nope.'

Trump is not a reformer, never has been. If you want a different government, not the Constitutional Republic we're supposed to have, he's your guy.

I wouldn't say different about Obama or Biden.

Choose your company.

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 03:02 PM
I guess our differences come over how the party is being transformed. Bitter, divisiveness is not what I'm looking for, not in a party, not with whom I choose to associate with in my regular life. I don't like mean people, I don't like liars.

I've never voted for Dems in place of a trumper choice, not once. Not sure where you're getting that.

Many folks did though, it's why so many 'republicans' lost. Some just went, 'Trump endorsed? Nope.' Others, 'election denier, nope.' Still others, 'Roe? Nope.'

Trump is not a reformer, never has been. If you want a different government, not the Constitutional Republic we're supposed to have, he's your guy.

I wouldn't say different about Obama or Biden.

Choose your company.

Wasn't aimed at you. Was aimed at voters out there who did. And many did as you point out. Was a national comment if you will. Wasn't attacking anyone on the board.
I said in other threads it's over for trump and he needs to realize that.

fj1200
11-13-2022, 03:08 PM

If that's a thing that could have been argued then I don't think it can be argued any more. Populist movements are never about long term plans because they do not have a core ideology that governing can be based on. And the idea that trump was capable in leading any sort of movement peaked early in his first term because he hasn't really had much success beyond his first couple of years especially as indicated by election results since then. His vaunted leadership abilities are evaporating even more quickly these days.

I don't see how you can argue that this election would be a sacrifice to that. If it were a sacrifice then the non-trumpies would have lost the close races and the trumpies would have won the close races; clearly that didn't happen. Any positive takeaway from this go-round is that biden can still suffer the worst of the next two years.

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 03:13 PM
If that's a thing that could have been argued then I don't think it can be argued any more. Populist movements are never about long term plans because they do not have a core ideology that governing can be based on. And the idea that trump was capable in leading any sort of movement peaked early in his first term because he hasn't really had much success beyond his first couple of years especially as indicated by election results since then. His vaunted leadership abilities are evaporating even more quickly these days.

I don't see how you can argue that this election would be a sacrifice to that. If it were a sacrifice then the non-trumpies would have lost the close races and the trumpies would have won the close races; clearly that didn't happen. Any positive takeaway from this go-round is that biden can still suffer the worst of the next two years.

Trump and his vehement supporters, the ones who make me look like I never liked him, are applauding him destroying the party. They think It needs to be transformed into something else. They may think losing this election is worth that.

Kathianne
11-13-2022, 03:24 PM
Trump and his vehement supporters, the ones who make me look like I never liked him, are applauding him destroying the party. They think It needs to be transformed into something else. They may think losing this election is worth that.

Indeed they ARE willing to change the type of system, though they haven't a clue to what. Only Trump loyal people allowed? So very different than leftist fascists.

The very left and very right are the same coin differt sides; very same as Obama and Teump.

fj1200
11-13-2022, 03:26 PM

Gotcha. Here's to hoping that there aren't enough of them around to make a difference come primary and caucus time.

Kathianne
11-13-2022, 03:27 PM
Gotcha. Here's to hoping that there aren't enough of them around to make a difference come primary and caucus time.

Or two weeks from now in GA.

fj1200
11-13-2022, 03:27 PM
Indeed they ARE willing to change the type of system, though they haven't a clue to what. Only Trump loyal people allowed? So very different than leftist fascists.

The very left and very right are the same coin differt sides; very same as Obama and Teump.

Pinochet.

Gunny
11-13-2022, 04:27 PM

I understand what you are saying. Can even empathize. However, these people don't know what they are fighting for. They want payback. All the years the Dems have just screwed this country all to Hell. They have and are still ruining our society. Why should they get away with whatever they want to while we have to follow all these morals and rules? About time we lowered the boom on their candy asses and slapped them into their places.

Right?

Then what?

It's REAL easy to turn it on. Not so easy to turn it off. You have to remember what it is your fighting for. Freedom. The Constitution. When the war is over, the troops put away their weapons and pick up their plows. The ideals they fought for have to be upheld or what was the point.

Most of these people can't see past payback and if they're willing to destroy for power and control, what makes them better than anyone else doing it?

Kathianne
11-13-2022, 06:21 PM
I understand what you are saying. Can even empathize. However, these people don't know what they are fighting for. They want payback. All the years the Dems have just screwed this country all to Hell. They have and are still ruining our society. Why should they get away with whatever they want to while we have to follow all these morals and rules? About time we lowered the boom on their candy asses and slapped them into their places.

Right?

Then what?

It's REAL easy to turn it on. Not so easy to turn it off. You have to remember what it is your fighting for. Freedom. The Constitution. When the war is over, the troops put away their weapons and pick up their plows. The ideals they fought for have to be upheld or what was the point.

Most of these people can't see past payback and if they're willing to destroy for power and control, what makes them better than anyone else doing it?

Yep, as I said, other side of the same coin.

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 06:57 PM
Things must not be bad enough. That's what I take away from it. Assuming abortion is not the overwhelming factor.

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 07:06 PM

Right?

Then what?

Oh the flip side, Trump is defeated. Whether he knows it or not. And what do we get in exchange for that? Two more years of Democrat crap. And an emboldened Biden Administration.

Gunny
11-13-2022, 08:06 PM
Oh the flip side, Trump is defeated. Whether he knows it or not. And what do we get in exchange for that? Two more years of Democrat crap. And an emboldened Biden Administration.What should we get in exchange for taking out or own trash because our elected officials won't?

I argued your point for years. "If we don't, the Dems will win". Look where that's gotten us. A political party that runs on "vote for us or you'll be letting the Dems win" and little more. Guess they'll have to do better. Apparently there are plenty enough people out there that would as soon suffer and make everyone else suffer with them as vote for someone they don't want.

Black Diamond
11-13-2022, 08:30 PM
What should we get in exchange for taking out or own trash because our elected officials won't?

I argued your point for years. "If we don't, the Dems will win". Look where that's gotten us. A political party that runs on "vote for us or you'll be letting the Dems win" and little more. Guess they'll have to do better. Apparently there are plenty enough people out there that would as soon suffer and make everyone else suffer with them as vote for someone they don't want.

That's fine. But I don't want to hear complaining about inflation, gas prices, crime and wokism then. First things first.

Kathianne
11-13-2022, 09:47 PM
Things must not be bad enough. That's what I take away from it. Assuming abortion is not the overwhelming factor.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're not stepping into others shoes. Those that adored Trump were always less than 1/2 those that vote. Some just gave him a 'chance ' because Hillary sucked. By 2020 some totally backed away because of his continuing bad behaviors. Some others, myself included, looked at his policies and held our noses. Jan 6 was a deal breaker for future. If he doesn't see that bridge too far, the electorate just showed him through his surrogates.

Odds are he'll figure if he bullies more and comes up with some really nasty names, he'll win.

He should recognize, he nearly alone, with assist from Lindsay and Mitch, managed to scare enough of the electorate that the Senate is lost and House may be.

fj1200
11-14-2022, 07:56 AM
That's fine. But I don't want to hear complaining about inflation, gas prices, crime and wokism then. First things first.

I recall we had some tea party and tea party adjacent whackadoodles too about a decade ago. Good candidates matter. Dems can get away with a Fetterman but we can't.

SassyLady
11-14-2022, 10:50 AM
I recall we had some tea party and tea party adjacent whackadoodles too about a decade ago. Good candidates matter. Dems can get away with a Fetterman but we can't.

Why is that?

fj1200
11-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Why is that?

Why do we have whackadoodle candidates that aren't ready for prime time? I wish I knew.

Why can't we get away with it? I wish I knew.

icansayit
11-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Hope everyone is happy. You get what you pay for. As for me.
I NO LONGER GIVE A CRAP. MY DAYS ARE GROWING SHORTER, AND I WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH.

(daylight savings time is just an old Nixon joke. Just think about HOW MUCH CONTROL it has over everybody.)

Gunny
11-14-2022, 07:57 PM
That's fine. But I don't want to hear complaining about inflation, gas prices, crime and wokism then. First things first.I have every Right to complain. I showed up at 7AM on Tues and voted in person. No choice left unchecked and no choice was blue.

I'm not trying to be nasty about anything to anyone on this board. Just practical.

"First things first" is a CATCH-22. Put unqualified people in office just to gain the majority. Who cares if they actually accomplish about what they're worth? Which not much of anything.

Yes, you have to have the majority to make the rules. You also have to have qualified people to make those rules. One without the other doesn't work. What has the GOP done with the majority since 2000? I know GWB did whatever Harry A-hole Reid told him he could do. Yay:rolleyes:

So why does anyone want to vote for Trump's "Revenge Tour"? That's my biggest issue. SINCE 2020. I supported him before that. We don't need a lame duck (one term) President whose sole mission is political revenge. What does that have to do with the country/people?

Should have been here when I was trying to get Kathianne to vote for the Republican so the GOP could win when she wasn't going to. I think she and my daughter voted for some guy named Johnson. That was fun :)

Black Diamond
11-14-2022, 08:38 PM
I have every Right to complain. I showed up at 7AM on Tues and voted in person. No choice left unchecked and no choice was blue.

I'm not trying to be nasty about anything to anyone on this board. Just practical.

"First things first" is a CATCH-22. Put unqualified people in office just to gain the majority. Who cares if they actually accomplish about what they're worth? Which not much of anything.

Yes, you have to have the majority to make the rules. You also have to have qualified people to make those rules. One without the other doesn't work. What has the GOP done with the majority since 2000? I know GWB did whatever Harry A-hole Reid told him he could do. Yay:rolleyes:

So why does anyone want to vote for Trump's "Revenge Tour"? That's my biggest issue. SINCE 2020. I supported him before that. We don't need a lame duck (one term) President whose sole mission is political revenge. What does that have to do with the country/people?

Should have been here when I was trying to get Kathianne to vote for the Republican so the GOP could win when she wasn't going to. I think she and my daughter voted for some guy named Johnson. That was fun :)

You have the right to complain. Thanks for voting the way you did. I have the right to complain. I stood in the rain to vote. First time it had rained here in months. :)
But assuming there is no fraud, I have no sympathy for the electorate who voted to keep things the way they are just because trump endorsed certain senate and house candidates. If the goal of the electorate is to bury trump, they are apparently willing to pay a high price to do so. And I don't want to hear them complain about that price.
All my comments and vitriol are aimed at the electorate in general.

SassyLady
11-17-2022, 03:31 PM
You have the right to complain. Thanks for voting the way you did. I have the right to complain. I stood in the rain to vote. First time it had rained here in months. :)
But assuming there is no fraud, I have no sympathy for the electorate who voted to keep things the way they are just because trump endorsed certain senate and house candidates. If the goal of the electorate is to bury trump, they are apparently willing to pay a high price to do so. And I don't want to hear them complain about that price.
All my comments and vitriol are aimed at the electorate in general.

**DITTO**

Oh, wait, I didn't stand in the rain. I actually stood for 15+ hours working at my polling place.

Gunny
11-17-2022, 06:57 PM
All my comments and vitriol are aimed at the electorate in general.I've said the same in the past. I don't disagree. As it was in the past and is now, nobody wins (on the right). Long-term remains to be seen.

Shouldn't come to this. The last time the GOP had an actual conservative Republican run for President was 2000 & 2004. We've had the media's choices since. I'm way more not okay with that. That is one thing I give Trump credit for was going around the media in 2016 via the internet.

I will also point out of one is going to be angry with the electorate, one needs to be equally or more angry at Donald Trump. He has done this to himself, and the party. All he really would have needed to do is regroup and let Biden's term run its course, as it has. He'd be starring in "The Return of the King" in 2024.