PDA

View Full Version : So Will Trump Announce His Hat Is Thrown In For 2024 Tonight?

Kathianne
11-15-2022, 10:22 AM
Probably so.

Other than Richard Nixon I can't think of an elected official who more intrigued me for good and bad than Trump.

WSJ has a great editorial on why he should pass and his possible reasons for disagreeing.

From what others have said, here's a link that should give the gist, I'll borrow some of my favorite parts:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-presidential-rerun-2024-ron-desantis-glenn-youngkin-gop-11668454286?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

These columns believe in democracy, which means trusting the decisions of voters. Even when they make mistakes, our constitutional system allows for checks and corrections. We warned about Mr. Trump’s character in 2016, but once he was elected we covered him like any other President. We owed that to readers, and he had many policy successes: taxes and deregulation, energy security, judges, the Abraham Accords, correcting illusions about Iran, among others.

But his character flaws—narcissism, lack of self-control, abusive treatment of advisers, his puerile vendettas—interfered with that success. Before Covid he was headed for re-election. But the damage from his shutdown of the economy combined with his erratic behavior in that crisis gave Joe Biden the opening to campaign for normalcy. Mr. Trump lost a winnable election.

Had he accepted that defeat, he might now be poised for a comeback given Mr. Biden’s unpopularity. But Mr. Trump contested the outcome well past any reasonable limit and encouraged his supporters to march on the Capitol on Jan. 6. He badgered his loyal Vice President, Mike Pence, to stop the Electoral College vote count to the point where lives were in danger, including Mr. Pence’s. The deadly riot will forever stain his legacy.

Last week’s elections showed that clinging to 2020 election denial, as Mr. Trump has, is a loser’s game. Republicans who took this line to win his endorsement nearly all lost. The country showed it wants to move on, but Mr. Trump refuses—perhaps because he can’t admit to himself that he was a loser...

Many Republicans who see Mr. Trump as their champion will want to take that chance. They say only he can take on a willful, increasingly radical left. But two years out of office, Mr. Trump remains more unpopular than Mr. Biden. He divides Republicans, while he is the most effective motivator of Democratic voter turnout in history.

Even if by some miracle Mr. Trump won, he would have a hard time filling an Administration with top-notch people. He could only serve one more term. Republicans would be nominating an immediate lame duck.

The problem for Republicans is that Mr. Trump’s base is so loyal that he might win the nomination in a splintered field. That’s what happened in 2016. And if Mr. Trump lost the nomination, would he even accept that result? Or would he sabotage the winner by urging his supporters to stay home, or by running as a third-party candidate? Recall that Mr. Trump refused to promise to support another GOP candidate in 2016...

Kathianne
11-15-2022, 12:59 PM
I'm
Not alone in liking this:

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2022/11/15/wsj-editors-to-republicans-dont-give-dems-what-they-want-trump-n511102

Gunny
11-15-2022, 07:38 PM
Probably so.

Other than Richard Nixon I can't think of an elected official who more intrigued me for good and bad than Trump.

WSJ has a great editorial on why he should pass and his possible reasons for disagreeing.

From what others have said, here's a link that should give the gist, I'll borrow some of my favorite parts:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-presidential-rerun-2024-ron-desantis-glenn-youngkin-gop-11668454286?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

Irks me people get paid to state the obvious :)