PDA

View Full Version : I'm Dumbfounded At My Own Ignorance On Local News

Kathianne
11-16-2022, 02:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I voiced concerns about Trump backed candidates in AZ, a place he seems to really like. One of those candidates was Keri Lake, who is the one I first going all 'Stop the Steal!' enough that I thought well that's an easy not voting for. Then I heard more of her and noticed just how little the Dem was discussing anything, even the weather. Then she refused to recuse herself from her duties as SofS regarding her contest vs. Lake. So, I voted for Lake. So close, like .8% difference.

I just learned how she probably managed to lose, almost seems intentional:

https://conservativebrief.com/biden-sinks-68252/

Kari Lake, 11/4/22: “We don’t have any McCain Republicans in here, do we? Alright, get the hell out. . . . Boy, Arizona has delivered some losers, haven’t they?”

Kari Lake, 11/14/22: Projected as the loser of the Arizona gubernatorial contest.

It turns out that Lake’s emphasis on showering Donald Trump — who two years ago became the first Republican presidential nominee to lose Arizona since Bob Dole in 1996 — with praise and heaping scorn upon John McCain, the war hero who won six statewide elections in the Grand Canyon State, might have been ill-conceived, nay, doltish.

Kari Lake was thought by many, myself included, to have overcome her manifold and manifest character flaws by way of her obvious political talent; no doubt, Lake could give a snappy answer to a reporter and own a room. But in the end, her lack of self-control, and belief or professed belief in conspiracy theories, doomed her. Voters saw through the polished answers to the rotten motivations driving them, and rejected her.

This of course should also put an end to the narrative that it was Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell’s decision not to invest heavily in Blake Masters’s challenge to incumbent Democratic senator Mark Kelly that doomed Masters. Masters was a significantly less compelling candidate than Lake, and Kelly was a significantly more compelling opponent than Katie Hobbs, Arizona’s governor-elect. Masters and Lake didn’t need any help snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in what should have been a wave year for Republicans.

Boy, Arizona has delivered some losers, haven’t they?

Gunny
11-16-2022, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I voiced concerns about Trump backed candidates in AZ, a place he seems to really like. One of those candidates was Keri Lake, who is the one I first going all 'Stop the Steal!' enough that I thought well that's an easy not voting for. Then I heard more of her and noticed just how little the Dem was discussing anything, even the weather. Then she refused to recuse herself from her duties as SofS regarding her contest vs. Lake. So, I voted for Lake. So close, like .8% difference.

I just learned how she probably managed to lose, almost seems intentional:

https://conservativebrief.com/biden-sinks-68252/The whole "election denier" thing killed Republican't's.

The outright "official" dismissal of questioning elections is going to bite the right in the ass. Election fraud doesn't disappear because Trump and his supporters couldn't prove it.

This will, in the future, lead to the Republican't's adding questioning elections to it's "afraid to say out loud" list.

Meanwhile, a "recount" in New England overturned a red win and painted it blue. Probably 100% on the up and up :rolleyes:

SassyLady
11-17-2022, 03:10 PM
I like Kari and I voted for her. You will probably call me an election denier. I don't care.

Do I think the 2020 election should be overturned? No. It's too late for that.

However, there is a deep level of corruption in Maricopa County and Pima County. Arizona has had election integrity problems every since Hobbs became SOS. It's a bunch of little problems (tabulators, printers, no ballots, incorrect ballots mailed out, etc.) that are subtle and yet taken together add up to creating massive levels of distrust.

Kathianne
11-17-2022, 05:57 PM
I like Kari and I voted for her. You will probably call me an election denier. I don't care.

Do I think the 2020 election should be overturned? No. It's too late for that.

However, there is a deep level of corruption in Maricopa County and Pima County. Arizona has had election integrity problems every since Hobbs became SOS. It's a bunch of little problems (tabulators, printers, no ballots, incorrect ballots mailed out, etc.) that are subtle and yet taken together add up to creating massive levels of distrust.
If you look closer, I voted for her too. Doesn't change why she probably lost. IF she'd skipped that one snark on 'McCain people get out,' she may have overcome the .8 deficit. That's just hubris and stupid.

Gunny
11-17-2022, 06:18 PM
If you look closer, I voted for her too. Doesn't change why she probably lost. IF she'd skipped that one snark on 'McCain people get out,' she may have overcome the .8 deficit. That's just hubris and stupid.

Have to agree. I despised McCain. I still wouldn't say anything like that if I was running for office where some consider him a hero and whatnot.

Like some now, he snubbed the republicans a LOT chasing the title "bipartisan". Anyway, bad move on Lake's part.

SassyLady
11-17-2022, 08:23 PM

Isn't it funny how one little remark will turn people away from voting in their own best interests ... even if it's the truth.

SassyLady
11-17-2022, 08:27 PM
The tabulator machine and printer malfunctions on election day did not happen during all the early voting. Why do many malfunctions on election day? These are the type of questions that cause distrust in the Maricopa County election process.

Gunny
11-17-2022, 08:33 PM
Isn't it funny how one little remark will turn people away from voting in their own best interests ... even if it's the truth.

Depends on the w's concerning the remark. As I stated previously, McCain is seen as a hero (he IS/was a decorated Vietnam vet and former POW)and great centrist willing to reach across the aisle and work work with the other party to get things done. Especially in the state he represented for years even after his battle with cancer.

There was no point in risking taking that shot, if that's what brought Lake down. IMO, the election denier and loyal Trumpie did her in. Still almost won...

... and might have. Who trusts Arizona's vote counting these days? :halo9:

SassyLady
11-17-2022, 08:38 PM
Depends on the w's concerning the remark. As I stated previously, McCain is seen as a hero (he IS/was a decorated Vietnam vet and former POW)and great centrist willing to reach across the aisle and work work with the other party to get things done. Especially in the state he represented for years even after his battle with cancer.

There was no point in risking taking that shot, if that's what brought Lake down. IMO, the election denier and loyal Trumpie did her in. Still almost won...

... and might have. Who trusts Arizona's vote counting these days? :halo9:
The same thing happened to her that happened to Trump. She was leading in all the polls by 11%. And suddenly on election day she falls behind. She didn't say those things about McCain on her last day of the campaign.

Kathianne
11-17-2022, 09:37 PM

I suppose it's up to each what one considers a little remark or a deal breaker.

SassyLady
11-17-2022, 11:37 PM
I suppose it's up to each what one considers a little remark or a deal breaker.
You would think Hobbs not resigning her SOS position for conflict of interest before the election would be a deal breaker. But nope!

Kathianne
11-17-2022, 11:46 PM
You would think Hobbs not resigning her SOS position for conflict of interest before the election would be a deal breaker. But nope!
It was for me, as I mentioned several times, along with her refusal to meet for debate or answer constituents simple questions. No argument from me, but each gets to inform selves and make own choice. Even when two people have the same info, they often make different decisions.

SassyLady
11-18-2022, 04:20 AM
It was for me, as I mentioned several times, along with her refusal to meet for debate or answer constituents simple questions. No argument from me, but each gets to inform selves and make own choice. Even when two people have the same info, they often make different decisions.
I know your reasoning Kath. I'm just dumbfounded that so many went ahead and voted for Hobbs knowing the same things you did.

Gunny
11-18-2022, 11:03 AM
The same thing happened to her that happened to Trump. She was leading in all the polls by 11%. And suddenly on election day she falls behind. She didn't say those things about McCain on her last day of the campaign.

While plausible, I take with a grain of salt an article I read (thought I posted?) regarding the left and right's voting practices. The right wants to run down on election day and vote in person. The left starts voting by mail as soon as they can. Best I can surmise, mail-in votes are counted last (for whatever reason that may be).

It could/would explain a sudden surge in numbers. I personally am not guaranteeing anything. Just passing the info. I don't trust government at ANY level and still maintain that the voting infrastructure is maintained and run by government employees; therefore, left-biased by default. All those cradle-to-grave government employees are not going to err on the side that does not support their livelihoods. Conversely, I imagine they will got to extra lengths to err in support of it.

In the end, it's endemic to the system and nothing that can be proven.

Politically, what happened to Lake and Trump is they both went after the system itself without hard evidence; which, the left used as evidence to brand them conspiracy theorists and liars.

Agree with/like it or not, the National narrative is Trump and his supporters are election deniers, conspiracy theorists and liars. That writing has been on the wall. Lake may not have sunk herself with her McCain remark (Could be wrong, but I think that was more whimsical musing than stated fact on Kathianne's part?) at the last minute. Neither did she sink herself on supporting Trump's claims at the last minute.

Regardless, reasoning on the parts of voters, the results Nationwide are pretty clear: even the dumbed-down sheeple of the US are not going to put conspiracy theorists, liars, and/or sore losers and his supporters into office. They'd rather have a braindead leech like Fetterman who everyone knows is an embarrassing kook than a kook who claims he is not or his supporters.

Personally, I think the GOP needs to get away from its love affair with media celebrities and get back to what brung us to the dance originally. Qualified politicians (crooks in their own right, but acceptable ones to the people).

Kathianne
11-18-2022, 11:41 AM
While plausible, I take with a grain of salt an article I read (thought I posted?) regarding the left and right's voting practices. The right wants to run down on election day and vote in person. The left starts voting by mail as soon as they can. Best I can surmise, mail-in votes are counted last (for whatever reason that may be).

It could/would explain a sudden surge in numbers. I personally am not guaranteeing anything. Just passing the info. I don't trust government at ANY level and still maintain that the voting infrastructure is maintained and run by government employees; therefore, left-biased by default. All those cradle-to-grave government employees are not going to err on the side that does not support their livelihoods. Conversely, I imagine they will got to extra lengths to err in support of it.

In the end, it's endemic to the system and nothing that can be proven.

Politically, what happened to Lake and Trump is they both went after the system itself without hard evidence; which, the left used as evidence to brand them conspiracy theorists and liars.

Agree with/like it or not, the National narrative is Trump and his supporters are election deniers, conspiracy theorists and liars. That writing has been on the wall. Lake may not have sunk herself with her McCain remark (Could be wrong, but I think that was more whimsical musing than stated fact on Kathianne's part?) at the last minute. Neither did she sink herself on supporting Trump's claims at the last minute.

Regardless, reasoning on the parts of voters, the results Nationwide are pretty clear: even the dumbed-down sheeple of the US are not going to put conspiracy theorists, liars, and/or sore losers and his supporters into office. They'd rather have a braindead leech like Fetterman who everyone knows is an embarrassing kook than a kook who claims he is not or his supporters.

Personally, I think the GOP needs to get away from its love affair with media celebrities and get back to what brung us to the dance originally. Qualified politicians (crooks in their own right, but acceptable ones to the people).

Right you are. The reason I even wrote this post was due to my missing the story before the election. I wrote it when I found out about the McCain remark.

I think many folks voting, including conservatives and independents, were/are concerned about those still so very tied to Trump. After reading Sassy's post about her going legal bomb on results, read a bit more from other sources. Seems she made a trip to see Trump before leaning in that direction. So, those concerned, were right to be concerned.