PDA

View Full Version : White House responds to Trump demanding to terminate parts of the Constitution after

Gunny
12-04-2022, 12:14 PM
I didn't know a remake of "Dumb n Dumber" was in the works. Trump's an idiot. On the other hand, the WH quoting the Constitution is enough to turn one's stomach.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-responds-trump-demanding-terminate-parts-constitution-twitter-files-release

Gunny
12-04-2022, 12:20 PM
If for no other reason, Trump's judgement (or lack thereof) is on full display here. People are turned off and backing away from this dead horse. Meanwhile, he's still :deadhorse:

(been waiting for years to use this emo :))

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/3760916-trump-calls-for-termination-of-election-rules-in-constitution-to-overturn-2020-election/

Kathianne
12-04-2022, 01:30 PM
If for no other reason, Trump's judgement (or lack thereof) is on full display here. People are turned off and backing away from this dead horse. Meanwhile, he's still :deadhorse:

(been waiting for years to use this emo :))

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/3760916-trump-calls-for-termination-of-election-rules-in-constitution-to-overturn-2020-election/

I saw his quote at a conservative site the other day, basically in context of his 'committing political suicide.' The author mentioned the now less than 25% that will still defend him, but warns that is enough to keep the liberals in power. The powers that be in the media want Trump in 2024 race, badly. They are trying to protect him from himself.

Basically Trump says the Constitutional protections should be scrapped, it's what the 'Founder' would have wanted. He has no idea how the 'Founders' arrived at their thinking-no idea of history or brilliance.

Gunny
12-04-2022, 01:39 PM
I saw his quote at a conservative site the other day, basically in context of his 'committing political suicide.' The author mentioned the now less than 25% that will still defend him, but warns that is enough to keep the liberals in power. The powers that be in the media want Trump in 2024 race, badly. They are trying to protect him from himself.

Basically Trump says the Constitutional protections should be scrapped, it's what the 'Founder' would have wanted. He has no idea how the 'Founders' arrived at their thinking-no idea of history or brilliance.

Agree.

It is enough to keep the left in power. His name alone invokes hope for the left and disdain from the majority on the right. He's obviously hasn't gotten the memo.

This latest antic IMO does nothing but polarize the right even more. It also IMO sends the message that if reelected, my guess that the whole term will be spent on Trump seeking/meting out political revenge will come to fruition. Long-term end result is it leaves the GOP in 2028 with an empty gas tank and a populace once again voting for anything but the GOP.

Political suicide would be the kindest thing he do for the GOP.

Gunny
12-04-2022, 01:43 PM
Not sure who the exact "Republicans" are that refuse to condemn Trump. This IS a Politico piece. That could mean two :rolleyes: OTOH, this is a perfect time for Republicans to distance themselves from him.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/04/trump-termination-constitution-republicans-00072079

Kathianne
12-04-2022, 01:52 PM
Not sure who the exact "Republicans" are that refuse to condemn Trump. This IS a Politico piece. That could mean two :rolleyes: OTOH, this is a perfect time for Republicans to distance themselves from him.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/04/trump-termination-constitution-republicans-00072079

I wasn't taking the info from your politico article, I found the one I was speaking of:

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2022/12/03/trump-commits-political-suicide-n515392

Conservative writer.

We've mostly agreed on big issues, (to me), and have problems with how to execute or whether or not they should be. I can evolve on my thinking regarding a big problem, like Trump, when enough facts are brought to bear on results. It's how I convinced myself in 2020. It was a mistake, as both January 6th and since have proven.

While I get the ideas of being results driven, the costs to lower the bar are just too great. Instead of perhaps only being a partial brake on the downward spiral of Dem ideals, the GOP has become a lubricant-not a good idea.

Trump commits political suicideDAVID STROM 1:42 PM on December 03, 2022

Donald Trump has been on a political suicide mission for a while now, but despite all his efforts he still has some substantial (if slipping) amount of political support. His biggest mistake up until now was to attack popular winners like Kemp and DeSantis. But apparently, the loss of support stemming from those mistakes was insufficient to knock himself out of the running for president.

Apparently, that seems to bother him. Like his friend Kanye “Ye” West, Trump has decided to see how insane he can act before his support collapses entirely.

It’s like a social science experiment with 350 million participants. Researchers are asking: just how batsh!t crazy does a person have to be to lose 95% of their fans? For some reason, Trump has decided to participate as the experimental subject.

Trump’s latest foray into losing all support and credibility is his attack on the Constitution itself. Like, literally, calling for the suspension of the Constitution in order to reinstall him as President of the United States.

Let’s look at this both politically and ethically and think about what he is saying.

POLITICALLY

There are several obvious things about Trump’s statement that are simply politically stupid. Like, really really stupid. Assuming there were no legal or ethical barriers to either calling a new election or suspending the Constitution (stay with me here, I know that is insane!), it is still politically stupid.

America is facing huge economic problems, international problems, and huge internal divisions that are tearing the country apart. Nobody but a small fringe wants to re-litigate the 2020 elections. Not only is that intuitively obvious, the 2022 midterm elections put an exclamation point on that fact. Candidates that looked back to the 2020 elections lost, those who looked forward to solving problems won.

Imagine having an ad hoc presidential campaign or an effective coup in the midst of all the challenges we face. Our friends and adversaries would see a weak, divided America and international chaos would ensue. It would be a disaster. The world economy would be shaken far more than it is. It would be a crisis of enormous proportions.

Nobody wants that, except a few people who want to tear it all down. Trump would get creamed in an election–blamed for making things so much worse than they are.

Americans are done with 2020. Old news. Both election fraud and January 6th are in the rear-view mirror politically.

So politically Trump is tossing a grenade into the country. Few people want to see it explode.

ETHICALLY/LEGALLY

Where to begin? There is no legal basis for anything Trump has suggested. None. Zip. Nada. That is why he is suggesting suspending all legalities in the first place.

Basically, he is saying that in order to fix things we have to destroy everything. This is literally how Caesar came to power. Caesar never asserted that the Roman Republic was over; theoretically, all the same safeguards remained in place. Merely suspended during his dictatorship.

Yeah, right. Once you toss it all out, it’s gone. In order to accomplish what Trump is advocating you would need a coup. Nobody in power today–not the Courts, not Congress, and certainly not the Executive Branch–would even think of establishing a legal basis for a new election or installation of Trump as the legitimate winner, even if it were possible.

So the only way to do what Trump is demanding is a coup. Goodbye America.

Yeah, no.

Also–stay with me here–doing what Trump is suggesting is exactly the opposite of the Oath of Office. You know, that binding, giving your word thing? That makes you legitimate? That you swore on the Bible to uphold?

This isn’t just some promise you make with your fingers crossed behind your back. This is literally key to your legitimacy–the promise to obey the rules, even when you dislike them or hate the outcome. It’s why we accept decisions we abhor in a democracy.

If we could just ignore the laws and rules we dislike democracy really does die.

I am not a Never Trumper. That struck me as a religious affiliation, not a rational political position. For me, the only question that matters about a politician is will they make the country better? Do the right thing as much as possible? Be better than the other guy?

Well, tossing out the Constitution doesn’t make the country better. It blows it up.

THOUGHTS

I don’t see how Trump doesn’t lose even more support after this outburst. For those of us who are political geeks the temptation is to scream “this is it!,” but I doubt that is exactly true. Most people are not process oriented. They support Trump because they were better off under his leadership than Biden’s. They think he is on their side, and the other side is terrible.

Well, the other side IS terrible. But destroying everything to take them down is much worse. I have often used the Roman Empire as an analogy to the US because the parallels are compelling. Our troubles in recent decades mirror in important ways the troubles of the late Republic era in Rome.

Well, we know how that ended. Caesar. Then Augustus, who was a pretty good emperor, and then total disaster. Caesar’s short dictatorship and its end were fatal to the Republic. Rome persisted but did not become better. It became worse in the most important way–liberty for its citizens.

It’s not that the Republic wasn’t flawed or was entirely free–it wasn’t. That is the nature of human life. But the flaws corrected by naming an Emperor were supplanted by flaws infinitely worse. Dictatorship is bad, and everybody knows that.

I think that most Americans will recoil at Trump’s outburst. I certainly did. And while many will indulge in an impulse to defend him because they have liked him, their zeal to do so will diminish over time. How much effort will most people want to put into defending the indefensible?

Trump is becoming like Kanye. Saying more and more outrageous things, driving their support down to a hardcore group who will bear any humiliation.

I can’t defend Trump’s call to toss out the Constitution (or any legal procedures that pass Court muster).

And I won’t.

Gunny
12-04-2022, 02:01 PM
I wasn't taking the info from your politico article, I found the one I was speaking of:

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2022/12/03/trump-commits-political-suicide-n515392

Conservative writer.

We've mostly agreed on big issues, (to me), and have problems with how to execute or whether or not they should be. I can evolve on my thinking regarding a big problem, like Trump, when enough facts are brought to bear on results. It's how I convinced myself in 2020. It was a mistake, as both January 6th and since have proven.

While I get the ideas of being results driven, the costs to lower the bar are just too great. Instead of perhaps only being a partial brake on the downward spiral of Dem ideals, the GOP has become a lubricant-not a good idea.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/h]Very good article. I'd have to read it again to find something I disagree with besides the semantics of my calling Trump and idiot in the OP while the author here uses "stupid" :)

Kathianne
12-04-2022, 02:59 PM
Went over to Truth Social to see what I could see. Not certain how these will c & p, but thought it important to use his own posts, not other's interpretation of:

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump

@realDonaldTrump

·
1d
Donald J. Trump
ReTruthed
So, with the revelation of MASSIVE & WIDESPREAD FRAUD & DECEPTION in working closely with Big Tech Companies, the DNC, & the Democrat Party, do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. Our great “Founders” did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
1d
Donald J. Trump
ReTruthed
Wow! That’s a really big story about Twitter and various forms of government Fraud including, specifically, Election Fraud. The same level of Fraud took place with the other Big Tech companies, if not even worse (if that’s possible?). We are living in a VERY CORRUPT COUNTRY &, AS THEY ARE SAYING ALL OVER THE INTERNET, “NOTHING WILL BE DONE ABOUT IT BECAUSE THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT & FBI ARE TOTALLY CORRUPT.” But they’ll keep investigating “boxes” that were legally & openly taken from the W.H.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·
1d
Donald J. Trump
ReTruthed
I am glad that everyone is now seeing the light on what I have been saying loud and clear for the last two years, that the 2020 Presidential Election was rigged and stolen by a combination of Democrats, Big Tech, “law enforcement,” and other bad actors. Sadly, we have become a corrupt Country, perhaps one of the most corrupt anywhere in the world. We MUST right this horrible wrong, and take our Country back!

BoogyMan
12-04-2022, 05:10 PM
Trump is going to be the turd in the punchbowl that is going to push the party to finish destroying itself.

Kathianne
12-04-2022, 06:36 PM
Another conservative:

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/12/trump-is-finished.php

SassyLady
12-04-2022, 10:31 PM
Trump lost a lot of us when he attacked DeSantis. This latest is just another nail.

fj1200
12-05-2022, 02:20 PM
I don't think I saw any stories about what he said but I saw plenty of stories about asking other Republicans what they think about what he said. Stupid media.