PDA

View Full Version : Some Republicans say the midterms were a mandate for further abortion restrictions

Gunny
12-04-2022, 01:33 PM
Wow. I was going to use the term "tone deaf" but that doesn't exactly convey what I think about anyone that got THIS message from the midterms.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/03/anti-abortion-republican-party-roe-00071988

fj1200
12-05-2022, 02:31 PM
I don't think Republican losses this past election have been tied to tighter abortion laws. Not that I think every state needs to go crazy on this issue.

Kathianne
12-05-2022, 02:38 PM
I don't think Republican losses this past election have been tied to tighter abortion laws. Not that I think every state needs to go crazy on this issue.

I agree in general. I do think that the few governors, certainly idiots with microphones ala Lindsay Graham, managed to enervate the most liberal of the liberals. Enough to change outcome? I doubt it.

BoogyMan
12-05-2022, 02:52 PM
I won't lie, I find "abortion" to be a barbaric completely horrific practice that has become an alternative to birth control for many today. Having said that, I cannot see how anyone can look at what we just witnessed and walk away saying "well that was a winner, let's go for some more of that."

Wow. I was going to use the term "tone deaf" but that doesn't exactly convey what I think about anyone that got THIS message from the midterms.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/03/anti-abortion-republican-party-roe-00071988

hjmick
12-05-2022, 03:26 PM
More like a mandate for KNOCK IT THE HELL OFF!

Gunny
12-05-2022, 08:27 PM

I agree in general. I do think that the few governors, certainly idiots with microphones ala Lindsay Graham, managed to enervate the most liberal of the liberals. Enough to change outcome? I doubt it.

What she said. I don't think any one thing affected the outcome. A think a combination of a lot of little things did. I think the Roe/Dobbs decision did motivate some. It takes only "some" when you have enough "some's".

Gunny
12-05-2022, 08:30 PM
More like a mandate for KNOCK IT THE HELL OFF!Heard that. Some on the right are using a Supreme Court decision as "the people have spoken". Exactly the same as the left did when the original decision as made.

BoogyMan
12-05-2022, 10:33 PM
I think it was a combination of the Roe/Dobbs decision, the leak, and the constant media hair on fire "we're all gonna die" coverage.

What she said. I don't think any one thing affected the outcome. A think a combination of a lot of little things did. I think the Roe/Dobbs decision did motivate some. It takes only "some" when you have enough "some's".

Gunny
12-06-2022, 10:32 AM
I think it was a combination of the Roe/Dobbs decision, the leak, and the constant media hair on fire "we're all gonna die" coverage.Which has been my point since the leak first hit the MSM: give the troops something to rally around. At that point in time, the Dems/left were completely demoralized. The national focus was on the dismal situation Biden has the nation in, not abortion "rights".

The MSM/Dems and left jumped on it like white on rice. Throw on McConnell's "timely" pronouncement that "some" (spelled Trump backed) candidates were less electable than others. True or not, he certainly back-burnered the Republican/conservative cause with is own to keep Trump out. Either way, the aforementioned leftist gaggle jumped right on that too.

Throw in Trump's neverending mouth. The topic of election denial (correct or not) which I'm pretty sure turns off a lot of moderates, independents. The Never-Trumpers didn't need an excuse. The MSM and Dems/Biden admin were pimping every point, completely ignoring the shit show he's turned the nation into.

Also not to forget is the Dems completely unethical voting practices. Don't care what anyone says. If they can cheat, they will. Hell, they are openly trying to allow anything breathing to vote knowing their unfulfilled promises/lies will buy most do-nothings. Like Biden's promise to pay off student loans.

Together it adds up to a lot of no-votes on the right that even a partially galvanized left can beat.