PDA

View Full Version : Bush tries to halt execution of killer

hjmick
10-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I just came across the locked version of this topic and found the subject matter intriguing, certainly worth discussing. As a result, I did a Google search and found an article pertaining to the subject and read it.

In an effort to stimulate discussion, I post the article I found here, with the link:

Bush tries to halt execution of convicted killer in Texas
Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Monday October 8, 2007
The Guardian

President George Bush, who signed the death warrant for 152 prisoners as governor of Texas, this week faces a rare challenge from his home state against his efforts to block the execution of a convicted killer from Mexico.
The case of Jose Ernesto Medellin, to go before the supreme court on Wednesday, examines whether the president has the power to set aside a state law that conflicts with an international treaty.

It puts Mr Bush in the unusual position of arguing against the death penalty and against the very same Texans who helped put him in the White House. Even more unusually, it puts Mr Bush on the same side of the dispute as the International Court of Justice in The Hague.

But the confrontation is more likely to turn on the dividing line between state and presidential powers than on the legitimacy of the death penalty. The supreme court is to deal more directly with the death penalty next January when it hears arguments against the use of lethal injection, the main method of execution in the US.

Wednesday's case began with a death row appeal from Medellin, a gang member from Houston who was just 18 when he raped and strangled to death two teenage girls in 1993. After a decade on death row, in 2004 the Mexican government obtained a ruling from the International Court of Justice on Mr Medellin's behalf that state police had violated his right to access to consular officials from Mexico. Mr Medellin, who was born in Mexico, has lived in the US since he was nine years old, although he was never a legal resident.

The judgment found that the Texas authorities failed to tell Mr Medellin and 50 other death row inmates from Mexico of their rights under the Vienna Convention to seek advice from the Mexican consulate, or to inform consular officials about their cases.

Mr Bush issued a memorandum two months later that the US courts would implement the ICJ ruling. The Bush administration is expected to argue that the president's executive power over treaty provisions outranks state laws.

Although the administration notes that it does not agree with the ICJ's interpretation of the Vienna Convention, it says it will abide by the court's decision for the sake of protecting US interests abroad.

However, Texas argues that Mr Bush's memo on the death penalty case would set a dangerous precedent for presidential power. The state argues that Mr Bush's action disregards earlier verdicts by an appeals court and the supreme court that Mr Medellin was not entitled to invoke his rights as a Mexican citizen because he had not raised the issue at his original trial.

In a speech to a conservative legal group in Washington, Ted Cruz, the state's solicitor general and a key adviser on Mr Bush's 2000 election campaign, accused the president of overstepping his authority. "This president's exercise of this power is egregiously beyond the bounds of presidential authority," he said.

Bush tries to halt execution of convicted killer in Texas (http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2185753,00.html)

It’s an interesting dilemma.

Here we have a man who lived in this country illegally since the age of nine, at the age of eighteen he brutally rapes and murders two girls, is tried and convicted of the crime and sentenced to death in accordance with the laws of the state. I’m okay with this.

The importance of the treaty in question cannot be denied, and I am somewhat disturbed that the best argument the state of Texas has is that Medellin did not raise the issue of his citizenship during trial. On the other hand, after almost ten years of residency in the U.S., all of it illegal, how much of a citizen of Mexico is he really? While he was certainly brought to this country by one or both of his parents, I’m sure that he had no intention of returning to the Motherland.

Another interesting aspect, I think, is the potential interference of the federal government in what is essentially a state issue. This obviously gets into states rights, if the issues of and individual state go against international law, what do we do? I know that I have know idea.

As far as Bush’s stance on this case, it doesn’t bother me. As President he has to deal with the issue on an international level, not state, so it is no real surprise where he stands in this instance.

Dilloduck
10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I just came across the locked version of this topic and found the subject matter intriguing, certainly worth discussing. As a result, I did a Google search and found an article pertaining to the subject and read it.

In an effort to stimulate discussion, I post the article I found here, with the link:

It’s an interesting dilemma.

Here we have a man who lived in this country illegally since the age of nine, at the age of eighteen he brutally rapes and murders two girls, is tried and convicted of the crime and sentenced to death in accordance with the laws of the state. I’m okay with this.

The importance of the treaty in question cannot be denied, and I am somewhat disturbed that the best argument the state of Texas has is that Medellin did not raise the issue of his citizenship during trial. On the other hand, after almost ten years of residency in the U.S., all of it illegal, how much of a citizen of Mexico is he really? While he was certainly brought to this country by one or both of his parents, I’m sure that he had no intention of returning to the Motherland.

Another interesting aspect, I think, is the potential interference of the federal government in what is essentially a state issue. This obviously gets into states rights, if the issues of and individual state go against international law, what do we do? I know that I have know idea.

As far as Bush’s stance on this case, it doesn’t bother me. As President he has to deal with the issue on an international level, not state, so it is no real surprise where he stands in this instance.

Agreed--it is interesting watching the federal government forcing a state to obey an international treaty which we now have withdrawn from.

hjmick
10-09-2007, 11:27 AM
There is no question in my mind that this man should be executed for his crimes, they were heinous. On the other hand, the issue of consular assistance is an interesting point. Then again, the man had lived here illegally for almost ten years before committing the murders, it's not as if he was unfamiliar with how things work in this country, more specifically how things work in Texas.

The issue of states rights is a conundrum. If the rights of individual states are potentially at odds with the best interests of the nation as a whole, what do we do?

I'm not sure yet where I come down in this case.

SpidermanTUba
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
The issue of consular assistance is an extremely important one.

Suppose your son or daughter goes on vacation in Mexico, and suppose they get arrested. If Mexico does not honor the agreement to allow them access to officials from the US consulate, then as far as you know, they will have simply disappeared. They may have been kidnapped, murdered, who knows? And if you don't know of their arrest, you wouldn't be able to get them a lawyer, and being a prisoner in Mexico without a lawyer or friends or family or a lot of money in a bank account to help you is more or less a death sentence.

Fortunately, Mexico honors this agreement, and when they arrest Americans they allow them access to the US Consulate.

hjmick
10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
The issue of consular assistance is an extremely important one.

Suppose your son or daughter goes on vacation in Mexico, and suppose they get arrested. If Mexico does not honor the agreement to allow them access to officials from the US consulate, then as far as you know, they will have simply disappeared. They may have been kidnapped, murdered, who knows? And if you don't know of their arrest, you wouldn't be able to get them a lawyer, and being a prisoner in Mexico without a lawyer or friends or family or a lot of money in a bank account to help you is more or less a death sentence.

Fortunately, Mexico honors this agreement, and when they arrest Americans they allow them access to the US Consulate.

I absolutely get this, and I do agree.

In the case of Medellin, however, he's been in this country since he was nine years old and I doubt seriously that he entered this country on his own at that age which tells me that there is a better than average chance his parents, or at least one parent, is also in this country. In his case it feels like something of a technicality, it's not as if he was vacationing when he raped and killed these girls.

10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
The Supreme Court is reviewing this case as we speak. we might see the outcome soon.

SpidermanTUba
07-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Bush loses this one. Sucks, because it was a rare time when I was on his side.

PRESIDENTIAL POWER

Found that President Bush overstepped his authority when he ordered a Texas court to reopen the case of a Mexican on death row for rape and murder. The case mixed presidential power, international relations and the death penalty. Bush was in the unusual position of siding with death row prisoner Jose Ernesto Medellin, a Mexican citizen whom police prevented from consulting with Mexican diplomats, as provided by international treaty.

An international court ruled in 2004 that the convictions of Medellin and 50 other Mexicans on death row around the United States violated the 1963 Vienna Convention, which provides that people arrested abroad should have access to their home country's consular officials. The International Court of Justice, also known as the world court, said the Mexican prisoners should have new court hearings to determine whether the violation affected their cases.

Bush, who oversaw 152 executions as Texas governor, disagreed with the decision. But he said it must be carried out by state courts because the United States had agreed to abide by the world court's rulings in such cases. The administration argued that the president's declaration is reason enough for Texas to grant Medellin a new hearing. Roberts, writing for the 6-3 majority, disagreed. Roberts said the international court decision cannot be forced upon the states. (Medellin v. Texas, 06-984)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hPQw95MGRX85MEkcTmrw8rz1ZlvQD91J75J00