PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer a standard transmission?

tailfins
12-14-2022, 09:55 AM
What I like about them is that they are far less likely to break. When they do break, it's so much cheaper. Mine was rebuilt for $550. I have had this "tailfins" moniker for a long time. Tailfins vehicles are no longer practical. Ten years ago, there were specialty parts suppliers. Many of those have gone out of business. Early Japanese vehicles seem to be the most worry free, especially with the supply chain / defective auto parts crisis. If I were in the market for a vehicle today, I would get an Infiniti G37 with a manual transmission (pre-2013). As an added bonus they are rear wheel drive and made in Japan. Did you know that Renault :shitfan:bought Nissan? If the VIN doesn't start with J, then stay away.

fj1200
12-14-2022, 10:13 AM
On a motorcycle.

Bilgerat
12-14-2022, 05:14 PM
My first car was a "three on the tree" Rambler Station Wagon.

Loved that machine.

Gunny
12-14-2022, 07:36 PM
What I like about them is that they are far less likely to break. When they do break, it's so much cheaper. Mine was rebuilt for $550. I have had this "tailfins" moniker for a long time. Tailfins vehicles are no longer practical. Ten years ago, there were specialty parts suppliers. Many of those have gone out of business. Early Japanese vehicles seem to be the most worry free, especially with the supply chain / defective auto parts crisis. If I were in the market for a vehicle today, I would get an Infiniti G37 with a manual transmission (pre-2013). As an added bonus they are rear wheel drive and made in Japan. Did you know that Renault :shitfan:bought Nissan? If the VIN doesn't start with J, then stay away.I prefer stick on anything under 8 cylinders or on any for-real, work truck and any 4-wheeler I'm driving.

You have more control over your drivetrain without the slop between gears automatic transmissions have. An auto transmission will shift up whether or not you like it when you might need more torque than horsepower. Yes, you can downshift an auto, but it still has the slop between gears, and if I have to shift any damned way :)

I also prefer manual locking hubs on 4-wheelers for the same reason. That vacuum auto crap is just something else to go wrong.

hjmick
12-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Depends on what I'm driving and where I'm driving it...

hjmick
12-15-2022, 02:44 PM
My first car was a "three on the tree" Rambler Station Wagon.

Loved that machine.

Mine was a '67 Toyota Landcruiser with 3 on the tree.

I wish I still had it...

Gunny
12-15-2022, 07:43 PM
Mine was a '67 Toyota Landcruiser with 3 on the tree.

I wish I still had it...65 Mercury Comet, 3 on the tree :)

Passed my driving test in a 70 Toyota Corona, 5 on the floor.

SassyLady
12-15-2022, 10:24 PM
No. Especially with 70+ year old knees.