PDA

View Full Version : Trump rails against Jan. 6 committee following final report release

Gunny
12-24-2022, 09:00 PM
They got to wrap this up. New House coming next month, and they need to start focusing on anyone on the right that says they might run in 24 :rolleyes:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3787613-trump-rails-against-jan-6-committee-following-final-report-release/

Gunny
12-24-2022, 09:04 PM
https://thehill.com/homenews/3786818-with-eyes-on-doj-a-complex-path-for-trump-jan-6-prosecution/

Gunny
12-24-2022, 10:24 PM
Pretty good assessment.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3786513-republicans-navigate-tricky-relations-with-a-damaged-trump/

fj1200
12-25-2022, 07:32 AM
https://thehill.com/homenews/3786818-with-eyes-on-doj-a-complex-path-for-trump-jan-6-prosecution/

while encouraging Congress to use the 14th Amendment to bar him from ever serving in office again.

I don't think that's what the 14th says.

Section 3 Disqualification from Holding OfficeNo person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Gunny
12-27-2022, 08:24 PM
I don't think that's what the 14th says.Good assessment of the situation. Didn't say I agree or disagree with it.

Vacillating, establishment Republicans don't have the balls to just cut ties. They are as afraid of doing that as they are any and everything else that might cause someone to disagree with them.

Trump has to go down legally for the Republicans to have any kind of chance at dragging together all the disagreeables into some semblance of a political party and taking a shot at returning to the WH. If he is not barred legally, the establishment GOP won't stand up to him and even if the conservative Republicans (people) do, he is still free to take his ball and his players and run on his own.

I have no idea why Cheney, Kinzinger and the Dumbass left are so gung ho at barring him from running. He's their best damned weapon. Well, besides the GOP itself.

fj1200
12-28-2022, 08:33 AM
Good assessment of the situation. Didn't say I agree or disagree with it.

I wasn't taking a huge stand on the article only that I think they're reading the 14th backward. It doesn't read to me that it can be used to disqualify people from running, more that it can qualify some people who were disqualified 160 years ago.

to the article and trump I think he'll essentially rule hinself out by buffoonish action so that actual candidates won't have to expend much energy or political capital in going after him.

Kathianne
12-28-2022, 09:58 AM
I wasn't taking a huge stand on the article only that I think they're reading the 14th backward. It doesn't read to me that it can be used to disqualify people from running, more that it can qualify some people who were disqualified 160 years ago.

to the article and trump I think he'll essentially rule hinself out by buffoonish action so that actual candidates won't have to expend much energy or political capital in going after him.

While it appears to me that his core has shrunk greatly, I'd guess there's still perhaps 15% of folks that will walk away from the GOP or just quit voting. There are any number that believe that only armed insurrection will MAGA, figuring the 2020 election was just the first battle-which they are still raging about.

IF it were only Trump, I think it wouldn't be so difficult now to just ignore, the problem is whatever percentage he really has that are willing to go to any extreme-firmly believing they are saving the country.

Gunny
12-28-2022, 10:49 AM

I agree on the Fourteenth. IMO, the treason conviction they're spitting into the wind for is their best bet.

I'm okay with Trump ruling himself out so long as he doesn't take his ball and players and form his own team.

Gunny
12-28-2022, 10:56 AM
While it appears to me that his core has shrunk greatly, I'd guess there's still perhaps 15% of folks that will walk away from the GOP or just quit voting. There are any number that believe that only armed insurrection will MAGA, figuring the 2020 election was just the first battle-which they are still raging about.

IF it were only Trump, I think it wouldn't be so difficult now to just ignore, the problem is whatever percentage he really has that are willing to go to any extreme-firmly believing they are saving the country.

American can be great again without Trump. Matter of fact, it can be better at being great again without Trump. The people, not a pied piper politician is what makes American great. The problem with that now is getting that message to the people despite the MSM/Dems/social media morons.

Armed insurrection by only "MAGA" people will do nothing but further empower a leftist, Fed government already hostile to the people. It would accomplish nothing but loading the propaganda machine with fresh ammo, justify the government's use of violence against the people, and furhter erode what little is left of our Rights.

While people on the right were forced to decry Trump's call for the suspension of parts of the Constitution, don't think for a moment the progressive left would hesitate. See Abraham Lincoln and the US Civil War.