PDA

View Full Version : IL - Backlash against weapons ban grows

Gunny
01-14-2023, 05:37 PM
full article: https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/article/Backlash-against-assault-weapons-ban-grows-17716079.php

JERSEYVILLE – Jersey County has joined a list of about 80 Illinois counties where sheriff’s and other law enforcement officials have said they will not enforce provisions of the state’s new weapons ban.
On Thursday afternoon newly-elected Jersey County Sheriff Nicholas Manns posted a letter on the department’s Facebook page detailing why he and Jersey County State’s Attorney Ben Goetten will not be participating in the enforcement of HB 5471.

The law bans the sale and possession of “assault weapons” and accessories such as large-capacity magazines, as well as .50 caliber rifles and ammunition. The banned weapons include some specifically names, and others by technical definitions.

However, it grandfathers in weapons that are registered with the Illinois State Police.
Mann said he would be using “lawful discretion” in enforcing the new law.

“When it comes to law abiding citizens and lawful gun owners, we will not be checking for registration of your firearms with the state, nor will we be arresting otherwise law-abiding citizens solely with non-compliance of this Act or housing such citizens in our jail,” he said. “For those who would otherwise violate our laws or unlawfully possess firearms, we will continue to consider all applicable charges in order to protect Jersey County.”
Manns said he consulted with the Jerseyville, Grafton and Elsah police chiefs, as well as Goetten, before posting the statement.
Making a similar announcement Thursday was Madison County Sheriff Jeff Connor and Madison County State’s Attorney Tom Haine.
Similar actions were taken by the sheriffs in Greene, Macoupin, Calhoun and other counties throughout the state. All use similar language, and cite the Second Amendment’s right to keep and bear arms, specifically for personal protection, as well as recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings they say indicate a strong possibility the law will be overturned.

I so hope The commie State gets slammed in court. This would be one of the cons to living in IL, or any other state with (a) city(ies) that thinks it owns everything and everyone. Chicago politics are a failure of democracy.

Gunny
01-15-2023, 11:50 AM
Snowballing into a war between Pritzker and County Sheriffs. He's threatening their jobs, but he's facing a REAL problem Dems can't control and/or cheat their way out of outside their rat-infested sewers they call cities.

County Sheriffs are elected at the county level by local people, and are accountable to those people. Most of IL is rural and don't give a rat's ass what the Governor/his minions think.

We had the same here when county sheriffs refused to enforce mask and lockdown mandates when Biden was trying to shove them down our throats. To a lesser extent, neither are they following Federal guidance in regard to illegal aliens.

he Supreme Court is going to have to come out and take a single stand with a single message these leagalese cheats can't touch. By allowing a NJ gun control law to temporarily stand while shooting down NY's, the Court is sending mixed signals.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/74-illinois-sheriffs-departments-vow-defy-new-state/story?id=96384352

Kathianne
01-15-2023, 02:01 PM
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/01/15/pritzkers-war-of-words-with-illinois-sheriffs-isnt-going-well-for-him-n66146

Pritzker's war of words with Illinois sheriffs isn't going well for him
By Cam Edwards | 12:30 PM on January 15, 2023

Nine in 10 of the state’s sheriffs, joining with gun-rights advocates in declaring the prohibition unconstitutional, have sworn off zealous enforcement of the law. It prohibits the manufacture or possession of dozens of rapid-fire weapons and attachments and requires registration of those previously owned in response to the massacre at a July 4th parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park which killed seven and wounded 30.

“They took an oath of office to enforce the laws of the state of Illinois, and they will do so,” Pritzker said of the sheriffs Friday in Chicago after signing a law protecting abortion and gender-affirming care.

“These are folks who are entrusted by the public to enforce the law,” the governor continued. “They don’t get to choose which laws they enforce.”

Oh no? Tell that to Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, who said back in 2020 that her office would no longer be prosecuting low-level drug offenses. Tell that to the liberal prosecutors in places like Austin, Texas who’ve said they won’t be enforcing the state’s anti-abortion laws.

With a finite amount of resources, virtually every law enforcement agency uses discretion and prioritizes which offenses to (depending on whether we’re talking about police or prosecutors) investigate, charge, and prosecute. Pritzker may have his king-sized panties in a bunch over the vociferous objections by the vast majority of sheriffs (and a growing number of State’s Attorneys as well), but there’s not much he can do about it.

Gunny
01-15-2023, 02:08 PM
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/01/15/pritzkers-war-of-words-with-illinois-sheriffs-isnt-going-well-for-him-n66146I am curious just how Prickster thinks he's going to enforce his big talk. Where I lived in CI everyone had firearms of all makes and models. We had 3 town cops and a handful of county deputies. And LOTS of mileage in "Forgotonia" :)

I'm definitely not on his side, but this is one of those times where keeping his mouth shut would better serve him. He's not going to win this one. Is he going to call out the Guard? Which is made up of those same gun owners? Wouldn't put it past him, but I'm still not seeing a win for him.

Maybe they should concentrate on enforcing existing law in Chicago and suburbs?

Kathianne
01-15-2023, 02:18 PM
I am curious just how Prickster thinks he's going to enforce his big talk. Where I lived in CI everyone had firearms of all makes and models. We had 3 town cops and a handful of county deputies. And LOTS of mileage in "Forgotonia" :)

I'm definitely not on his side, but this is one of those times where keeping his mouth shut would better serve him. He's not going to win this one. Is he going to call out the Guard? Which is made up of those same gun owners? Wouldn't put it past him, but I'm still not seeing a win for him.

Maybe they should concentrate on enforcing existing law in Chicago and suburbs?

You restated the article on the mark, he hasn't the resources to force anything. He doesn't have the power to remove sheriffs.

Gunny
01-15-2023, 02:48 PM
You restated the article on the mark, he hasn't the resources to force anything. He doesn't have the power to remove sheriffs.Oh :)

Gunny
01-18-2023, 11:40 AM
IMO, they had Constitutional grounds to file lawsuit against IL state gun laws before Pritzker's addition to the repression.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinois/illinois-state-rifle-association-files-federal-lawsuit-against-pritzker-s-gun-ban/article_d4c648a4-9719-11ed-b85d-73325b023eca.html