PDA

View Full Version : Secret Service spokesman on Jimmy Carter's health: 'Forever by your side'

Gunny
02-19-2023, 02:07 PM
I didn't realize he was 98 years old. Whenever the subject has come up, I've tossed around the argument of "more medical BS" vs "spending the remaining time living well". I'm not sure I want to spend more of my remaining time gambling on buying a little more calendar days-time at the expense of having a life hooked up to tubes and bottles and getting zapped with radiation. Seems to me there ought to be a net gain/loss formula there.

Another issue it brings up (in my mind) is assisted suicide. Hospice is choosing to go home and die. That choice is okay with the people who presume to make everyone else's decisions. But you can't choose to bail on rotting away a piece at a time. Which is more humane?

Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi responded Saturday to former President Jimmy Carter entering hospice.
Guglielmi said the agency, which has protected Carter and his family for decades, "will be forever by your side."
"Rest easy Mr. President. We will be forever by your side," Guglielmi stated in a tweet.

The tweet came after the Carter Center announced the 39th president would spend his "remaining time" at home.
full article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/secret-service-spokesman-jimmy-carters-health-forever-side

Gunny
02-19-2023, 02:10 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64691009

jimnyc
02-19-2023, 02:42 PM
Same news here on hospice care.

How much can you really do to prolong life once in late 90's, early 100's and/or end of life?

It's got to feel like everything is gone after a certain time. All that's left are people that weren't around when you were young. Pretty much everyone you knew is gone.

---

Former President Jimmy Carter to Receive Hospice Care

Former President Jimmy Carter, 98, will receive Hospice care following a string of hospital visits, the Carter Center announced Saturday.

“After a series of short hospital stays, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention,” the Carter Center stated.

The center added, “He has the full support of his family and his medical team. The Carter family asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers.”

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/02/18/former-president-jimmy-carter-to-receive-hospice-care/

fj1200
02-19-2023, 10:09 PM
Hospice is not about extending life. It's about making the life you have left comfortable and is essentially waiting to die by natural causes. My dad had at home hospice right before he passed and my mom and dad made the specific choice to not take any preventive measures against his cancer and take life as it came. I have it on good authority that Carter has been fully engaged up until a few days ago.

Gunny
02-21-2023, 09:08 AM
Hospice is not about extending life. It's about making the life you have left comfortable and is essentially waiting to die by natural causes. My dad had at home hospice right before he passed and my mom and dad made the specific choice to not take any preventive measures against his cancer and take life as it came. I have it on good authority that Carter has been fully engaged up until a few days ago.I find how people view/face death intriguing.