PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine war: Life in Mariupol under Russian occupation

Gunny
04-13-2023, 08:23 AM
FYI.

After 10 months of Russian occupation, fear and distrust are the two most frequent responses I encountered when looking for someone who could tell me how things really are in Mariupol, in Ukraine's south-east.

"I think you are a Russian journalist. You won't like what I've got to say. People like you kill if you tell them the truth," said one social media user who claimed to be from the port city.

Russian forces put the people of Mariupol through a horrific months-long siege, before finally capturing it last May.

I eventually found three residents willing to speak to me at length: a local city councillor, a retired pensioner and an engineer. All spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing reprisals from the local authorities installed by Russia (who block access to occupied Ukraine by Western journalists).

Any thing for a byline, right?:rolleyes:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64887890

Black Diamond
04-13-2023, 01:52 PM
It seems everything is clickbait

Gunny
04-14-2023, 07:57 AM
It seems everything is clickbaitIt bothers me that there is no longer (if there ever was) any sort of ethical boundary where so-called journalism these days is concerned. Some person getting slaughtered before your eyes? Keep filming. The story is more important:rolleyes:

This clown narrows down who and what these people are enough that given circumstances of a marginally occupied (by inhabitants) ghost town, it wouldn't be hard to track them down. No concern for their safety. Just the story.

Not to mention just how bad do you have to want to see your name in lights to try and get this story? What's next? North Korean Border Guards?:laugh:

Starting to wonder how mankind has survived civilization:smoke: