PDA

View Full Version : 'Superstar' Billy Graham dies at 79

Gunny
05-19-2023, 08:10 AM
Not to be trite, but the man's been "dying" for the past 30 years. He was the influence in the 70s that had me pick up my first barbell. Guess I at least owe him a blurb on a message board.

He was also the influence that created Hulk Hogan, Austin Idol, Jesse Ventura and the dozen or so other copycat wrestlers in the 80s. Definitely influenced the roid freaks of the 80s-90s.

I found him (as I did pro wrestling in the 70s) hilarious. He couldn't wrestle worth a crap but his heel antics were entertaining.

Hope he finally found the peace he's been looking for.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2023/05/18/wwe-hall-of-famer-superstar-billy-graham-dies-79/70230492007/

fj1200
05-19-2023, 01:58 PM
Well that's not the Billy Graham I was thinking about. :salute:

Gunny
05-20-2023, 07:06 PM
Well that's not the Billy Graham I was thinking about. :salute:

For fj's edification :poke::

Wayne Coleman was a pro football player in the Canadian Football League, a one-time training partner of Arnold Schwarzenegger (before he was anybody and fresh off the boat), and an tent revival evangelist. He became "Billy Graham" as the pretend brother of "Dr" Jerry Graham and chose Billy because of the more renowned Rev, Billy Graham and his (Coleman's) one-time ties to evangelism.

Because I know you wanted to know :)

revelarts
05-21-2023, 08:25 AM
Not to be trite, but the man's been "dying" for the past 30 years. He was the influence in the 70s that had me pick up my first barbell. Guess I at least owe him a blurb on a message board.

He was also the influence that created Hulk Hogan, Austin Idol, Jesse Ventura and the dozen or so other copycat wrestlers in the 80s. Definitely influenced the roid freaks of the 80s-90s.

I found him (as I did pro wrestling in the 70s) hilarious. He couldn't wrestle worth a crap but his heel antics were entertaining.

Hope he finally found the peace he's been looking for.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2023/05/18/wwe-hall-of-famer-superstar-billy-graham-dies-79/70230492007/

'Superstar' Billy Graham
I remember him, but he was outside of my wrestling region for most of my wrestling fandom days.
So I saw him mostly after his prime, as Hulk Hogan was on the rise.
But he was entertaining.

Blessing to him and his family.