PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming? Brrrrr!!!!!!!!

red states rule
02-06-2007, 08:10 AM
I wish there really was global warming.

Anyone who has been outdoors for any length of time from the Dakotas to the Northeast U.S. probably does not have to be reminded as to how cold it feels outside. Just in case you were wondering what it feels like up north, or perhaps you were curious why your bare hand stuck to the trash can lid, here goes. Shown below are what the lowest actual temperatures have been the past few days and what the lowest AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature was so far:

International Falls, MN. - Lowest Temperature minus 32° RealFeel minus 47°.
Fargo, ND. - Lowest Temperature minus 24° RealFeel minus 44°.
Sioux Falls, SD. - Lowest Temperature minus 13° RealFeel minus 36°.
Des Moines, IA. - Lowest Temperature minus 9° RealFeel minus 35°.
Chicago, IL. - Lowest Temperature minus 9° RealFeel minus 35°.
Detroit, MI. - Lowest Temperature minus 4° RealFeel minus 25°.
Indianapolis, IN. - Lowest Temperature minus 5° RealFeel minus 24°.
St. Louis, MO. - Lowest Temperature 5° RealFeel minus 9°.
Columbus, OH. - Lowest Temperature 0° RealFeel minus 21°.
Nashville, TN. - Lowest Temperature 16° RealFeel 6°.
Elkins, WV. - Lowest Temperature minus 3° RealFeel minus 24°.
Washington, DC. - Lowest Temperature 14° RealFeel minus 8°.
Philadelphia, PA. - Lowest Temperature 10° RealFeel minus 16°.
New York, NY. - Lowest Temperature 8° RealFeel minus 10°.
Boston, MA. - Lowest Temperature 10° RealFeel minus 15°.
Burlington, VT. - Lowest Temperature 0° RealFeel minus 28°.
Caribou, ME. - Lowest Temperature minus 8° RealFeel minus 33°.

For most places in the Midwest, the core of the cold air is sliding to your east and you probably already have experienced the lowest temperatures of this particular outbreak. However, for those of you in the northern and central Appalachians, as well as along the coastal Northeast, the coldest morning so far is on the way Tuesday.

For skiing interests in the Northeast, this pattern has been long awaited, allowing for ample snowmaking and fresh powder. Be sure to dress appropriately if you plan on taking to the slopes the
next few days and travel wisely in areas being clobbered by lake-effect in the snowbelts of western and upstate New York and northwestern Pennsylvania.

Story by Accuweather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-summary.asp?

MtnBiker
02-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Have you seen the price of oranges lately?

darin
02-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Global Warming CAUSES frigid temperatures!! See? Get it???

:D

The ClayTaurus
02-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Aside from the last week, it's been a very warm winter. At least on the East Coast.

krisy
02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Hmmmph! Yesterday it was 0 in Cincy. Today ain't much better AND we are getting 4-6 inches of snow!!

Go figure

5stringJeff
02-06-2007, 11:47 AM
To be fair, you can't use anecdotal evidence like this to prove or disprove global warming/climate change. You need to look at trends in temperatures over time - like years/decades, not weeks/months.

krisy
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
To be fair, you can't use anecdotal evidence like this to prove or disprove global warming/climate change. You need to look at trends in temperatures over time - like years/decades, not weeks/months.

Very true...I'm just being a pain!!!:p

trobinett
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM

And, what do these "trends" prove?

This subject is becoming like a "whipping boy", everything is being lay'd at the foot of global warming.

Don't know how you feel about it, but the whole thing seems sort of lame to me.:lame2:

Dilloduck
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM

This subject is becoming like a "whipping boy", everything is being lay'd at the foot of global warming.

Don't know how you feel about it, but the whole thing seems sort of lame to me.:lame2:

Agreed--I'm sick of it. Thanks Al. Now let's all be nice to mother nature and move on.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
02-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Does anyone here remember the clamor in the 1970's about Global Cooling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling)?

I guess the earth's cycles climactic cycles are speeding up....maybe in another 30 years we will have Cooling and heating happening over our lunch hours.

5stringJeff
02-07-2007, 12:10 PM

I'm not arguing for or against global warming... I'm just saying that you can't confuse short-term weather forecasts with long-term climate changes.

red states rule
02-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Tell that to the people in upstate NY

100 inches of snow possible
From the Associated Press
February 8, 2007

CHARLESTON, W.VA. — West Virginia called snowplow drivers out of retirement Wednesday as snowstorms and arctic cold blamed for at least 16 deaths hung over much of the Midwest and East. Parts of upstate New York could get more than 100 inches of snow before the massive cold system breaks up Sunday or Monday, forecasters said.

As much as 9 inches of snow fell in West Virginia in the state's first major storm of the season, prompting schools statewide to either close or open late for a second day in a row. Schools were also shut down across much of Ohio and parts of New York.

In West Virginia, 21 retired snowplow drivers were called in to help crews struggling to clear roads.

But for some, the weather was ideal.

"It was the perfect storm," said Joe Stevens, spokesman for the West Virginia Ski Areas Assn. "Over 4 feet of snow has fallen since the middle of January, which has really turned the situation around for the resorts."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-cold8feb08,1,5678975.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

red states rule
02-09-2007, 04:50 PM
CBS's Harry Smith: 'Is Al Gore a Prophet?'
Posted by Michael Rule on February 9, 2007 - 11:13.
Is Al Gore a prophet? This was a suggestion made by Harry Smith in yet another one-sided story on CBS about global warming. Smith interviewed former Vice President Al Gore and Richard Branson, the Chairman of Virgin Group to discuss actions they are taking to combat, what they claim, is man-made global warming. During the segment, Smith seemingly urged Al Gore to run for President -- "would you not be better off trying to affect this change from the White House?" -- and CBS displayed its agreement with Gore and Branson’s approach, running the graphic "Saving the Planet" on screen throughout the almost five minute long segment.

Gore and Branson, appearing in the 7:00 half hour of the "Early Show," discussed a reward offer, where they are offering $25 million to a scientist who can figure out a way to extract carbon from the atmosphere. But, Mr. Smith lamented that this idea sounded like the men were giving up on the idea of conservation and reducing emissions:

"But, you know what, when you hear about somebody going up and figuring out some sort of contraption to get the, the, the bad stuff out of the air, it sounds like well, we've given up on the other end. We've reached a tipping point; we might as well be farming the stuff out of the air because nobody's going to stop driving their SUVs."

Branson responded that the political will was lacking in countries, particularly America, to encourage people to use less carbon. This reply caused Smith to cite last week’s report released in Paris. Smith accepted the reports claims as fact, although there are differing opinions on the matter, which conclude that global climate change is a naturally occurring phenomenon. Smith also questioned the intelligence of the American people:

"There was an important conference in Paris just last week. Scientists came up with an idea that, because of global warming, and we feel like it's basically caused by human beings and 90% sure it's because of emissions. Do you think people in the United States understand that?"

After Gore remarked that American public opinion is shifting, Harry Smith turned to Richard Branson and, seemingly attempting to elevate Al Gore to sainthood, inquired:

"You have only known each other about a year or so as I understand it. Is Al Gore a prophet."

Branson expressed his admiration for Gore and asserted that outside the United States "he is perceived as a prophet, spelled in the right way..." Yet, Smith still doubted that Gore was going about spreading his message the right way, and that Gore should, perhaps, run for president:

"Is this the right way to get your message across though? Because the question was asked in the press conference today, would you not be better off trying to affect this change from the White House as opposed to doing it in a sort of 'Johnny Appleseed' way, the way you're doing it now."

Mr. Smith may personally admire Mr. Gore and may personally believe that global warming is man made and an inevitable catastrophe. Yet, as a journalist, Harry Smith is supposed to be objective and not allow his personal views to corrupt his reporting. It is also possible Smith was towing the company line, as CBS has consistently hyped the theory of man made global warming while ignoring conflicting science.

The transcript of the segment follows:

Harry Smith: "Former Vice President Al Gore and Virgin Group Chairman Richard Branson are on their own very high powered, high profile people. So, put them together and you've quite a political PR machine. The two men announced here in London today that they are teaming up to save the planet, offering a $25 million prize to fight global warming. I spoke exclusively with Gore and Branson this morning and asked them why this prize and why now?"

Richard Branson, Virgin Group, Chairman: "Well, there is an awful lot of carbon in the earth's atmosphere already. And there are some people who say we've already got too much; we've already gone beyond the tipping point. But, whether or not that's the case or not, what we want to try to do is get every young mind, every scientist, and everybody to try to see if we can extract that carbon out of it and come up with a way of extracting it out."

Harry Smith: "Is this a gimmick?"

Al Gore, Former Vice President of the United States: "No, I don't think it is. What we're facing is a planetary emergency, and so some things that you would never consider otherwise makes sense to consider. And it shouldn't by seen in any way as a distraction from the hard work that we have to do in improving efficiency of cars, everything that burns carbon based fuel. But in addition to that this is now an idea that should be explored."

Harry Smith: "But, you know what, when you hear about somebody going up and figuring out some sort of contraption to get the, the, the bad stuff out of the air, it sounds like well, we've given up on the other end. We've reached a tipping point; we might as well be farming the stuff out of the air because nobody's going to stop driving their SUVs."

Richard Branson: "It's going to be a problem to get the political will of, you know, some countries, and in particular America, to actually get out there and encourage people to go for smaller cars, to encourage people to, to, you know, to use less carbon. And if you don't get the political well, yes, we're definitely going to need this prize because we will go beyond the tipping point. But, you know, hopefully we'll get the political will as well as hopefully somebody who will win this prize."

Harry Smith: "There was an important conference in Paris just last week. Scientists came up with an idea that, because of global warming, and we feel like it's basically caused by human beings and 90% sure it's because of emissions. Do you think people in the United States understand that?"

Al Gore: "I think we've seen a big shift. We're not there, yet. But we're close to a political tipping point beyond which, I think you really are going to see a sea change in the way people demand that politicians in both parties make this their top priority."

Harry Smith: "You have only known each other about a year or so as I understand it. Is Al Gore a prophet."

Richard Branson: "How do you spell prophet? They -- I think that Al Gore has been -- has almost single handedly brought global warming to the forefront of the world. You know, outside America, he is perceived as a prophet spelled in the right way, and, you know, inside America I think a lot of people who have read well and know that, you know, know that he's right and that something's got to be done."

Harry Smith: "Is this the right way to get your message across though? Because the question was asked in the press conference today, would you not be better off trying to affect this change from the White House as opposed to doing it in a sort of 'Johnny Appleseed' way, the way you're doing it now."

Al Gore: "Well, you know, I worked in the White House for eighth years and tried very hard to solve this crisis and found that in dealing with the Senate and dealing with the Congress, that the one element that was most needed was a sea change in public opinion to empower the politicians in both parties to do the right thing here. And so, I'm involved in a different kind of campaign to try to change enough minds to make it a new reality, so that whoever runs will hear it from the voters and hear it as a demand that they act."

Harry Smith: "So I take it you won't announce your candidacy at the Oscars or on our program."

Al Gore: "Well, I, I--No, I am not announcing anything today other than the fact that I admire Sir Richard Branson's decision to put this prize up. And it's so, it's so refreshing to have an international business leader who I go and say -- look, take a look at this and see what you can do? And he says, okay and then he comes up with these imaginative approaches to really help the world approach this problem. I really like that."

Harry Smith to co-anchor Hannah Storm: "People here [London] are remembering the great story from the 1600s, the prize that was offered to discover how to measure longitude, same kind of prize but that was a long time ago, Hannah."

http://newsbusters.org/node/10726

Gaffer
02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
I WANT MY 25 million.

Carbon is extracted from the atmosphere by PLANTS. Trees, bushes, grass, anything green extracts carbon dioxide from the air and turns it into oxygen. Just like when we breath oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide.