PDA

View Full Version : Court Throws Out Woman's $300,000 Hospital Bill

revelarts
06-29-2023, 10:39 PM
Court Throws Out Woman's $300,000 Hospital Bill
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/surprise-medical-bill-court-300000-hospital-1300-tab/

"Colorado's Supreme Court has ruled in favor of a woman who expected to pay about $1,300 for spinal fusion surgery but was billed more than $300,000 by a suburban Denver hospital that allegedly included charges it never disclosed she might be liable for.

This week's ruling in favor of Lisa French, who underwent two surgeries in 2014, follows efforts by many U.S. states and the federal government to help curb health care costs by restricting or eliminating so-called "surprise billing" and requiring increased price transparency for consumers.

In a unanimous opinion, the Colorado justices ruled Monday that agreements French signed before surgery at St. Anthony North Health Campus in Westminster don't compel her to pay the extra charges, which stemmed from a then-secret list of prices for services that hadn't been disclosed to her.

French had expected to pay $1,337 out of pocket after her medical insurance covered the rest, believing St. Anthony's was an in-network provider. But a hospital employee provided her an incorrect estimate after apparently misreading her insurance card; in fact, the hospital wasn't in-network, The Denver Post reported...."

Below a lawyer breaks down legal issues in the case.

My overall take is this is another case of "capitalism" run amok on the backs of sick people.
the lawyer mentions the laws put in place to stop Auto mechanics from doing exactly the kind of surprise outrageous hospital billing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKygdWivreE

fj1200
06-30-2023, 01:55 PM
^There is precious little capitalism in the US health care industry. We could use more, or actual, capitalism.

Gunny
06-30-2023, 07:12 PM
^There is precious little capitalism in the US health care industry. We could use more, or actual, capitalism.Perhaps. This is one of those no win deals. You're either a raging capitalist or a commie. Neither believe in a middle ground that all can handle.

In this specific instance, I'm all for the court ruling. It should be illegal for service providers to hide extra cost. Likewise, insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to wordsmith their way out of coverage.

Either way, I'm thinking I'm not believing spinal fusion for $1300. That's the price of getting a tooth fixed. Unless you have the "Why Not" insurance company I do :rolleyes:

fj1200
07-01-2023, 11:10 AM
Perhaps. This is one of those no win deals. You're either a raging capitalist or a commie. Neither believe in a middle ground that all can handle.

In this specific instance, I'm all for the court ruling. It should be illegal for service providers to hide extra cost. Likewise, insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to wordsmith their way out of coverage.

Either way, I'm thinking I'm not believing spinal fusion for $1300. That's the price of getting a tooth fixed. Unless you have the "Why Not" insurance company I do :rolleyes:

Health care policy is no win in this country for exactly why you state. And this court ruling was correct because it validates transparency and reinforces contracts.

SassyLady
07-01-2023, 11:27 AM
Perhaps. This is one of those no win deals. You're either a raging capitalist or a commie. Neither believe in a middle ground that all can handle.

I think she thought that would be her portion after insurance.