PDA

View Full Version : AI is facing a regulation crackdown with or without Congress

Gunny
07-15-2023, 04:10 PM
Just my opinion. I think our own government can't be trusted with technology like this. Current admin already gets on old technology (tv) and lies straight to our faces. I think the harm this could bring far outweighs any benefit. I don't see a benefit to begin with.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/ai-facing-regulation-crackdown-with-without-congress

Black Diamond
07-15-2023, 04:21 PM
Just my opinion. I think our own government can't be trusted with technology like this. Current admin already gets on old technology (tv) and lies straight to our faces. I think the harm this could bring far outweighs any benefit. I don't see a benefit to begin with.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/ai-facing-regulation-crackdown-with-without-congress

Thanks for bringing up this potential threat. Agree whole heartedly. A guy named Mo I watched who used to work for Google said this will be used by one state against another or by a terrorist group before AI kills us.
He did not bring up the possibility of our govt using it against its own citizens but then he is leftist so he may condone that....

Gunny
07-15-2023, 04:37 PM
Thanks for bringing up this potential threat. Agree whole heartedly. A guy named Mo I watched who used to work for Google said this will be used by one state against another or by a terrorist group before AI kills us.
He did not bring up the possibility of our govt using it against its own citizens but then he is leftist so he may condone that....

The first thing I saw was government using it against us. Especially Democrats. Look at what they've done without it just in the past few years. Anyone disagreeing with government is a MAGA Republican, right-wing extremist, yada yada yada. The Dem President pedals influence and takes home classified material and all is good. The former Republican President? Countless felonies. Trump couldn't get around Congress with anything but EOs while Biden just ignores the Supreme Court and Congress.

Anyway, I can easily see the left using it to frame the right for any number of things. And you know where this comes from? An 80s Stephen King novel "the Running Man" (not to be confused with the Arnold movie extremely loosely based on it).

Life imitating art.

Black Diamond
07-15-2023, 04:40 PM
The first thing I saw was out government using it against us. Especially Democrats. Look at what they've done without it just in the past few years. Anyone disagreeing with government is a MAGA Republican, right-wing extremist, yada yada yada. The Dem President pedals influence and takes home classified material and all is good. The former Republican President? Countless felonies. Trump couldn't get around Congress with anything but EOs while Biden just ignores the Supreme Court and Congress.

Anyway, I can easily see the left using it to frame the right for any number of things. And you know where this comes from? An 80s Stephen King novel "the Running Man" (not to be confused with the Arnold movie extremely loosely based on it).

Life imitating art.

Absolutely. I saw the movie. Loved Richard Dawson in it. I have the book here. I'll read it.

Gunny
07-15-2023, 04:48 PM
Absolutely. I saw the movie. Loved Richard Dawson in it. I have the book here. I'll read it.The book is way darker. Better than the movie, IMO. Not going to spoil it for you, just to say it explains a lot the movie does not.

AHZ
07-16-2023, 02:07 PM

it's like everyone forgot the lessons of the terminator series.

wtf.

Gunny
07-16-2023, 07:07 PM
it's like everyone forgot the lessons of the terminator series.

wtf.What lessons? Terminator is sci-fi schlock. The premise being machines becoming self-aware.

We are discussing misuse/abuse of AI by government. I don't trust government to have something that can take the likeness of anyone it chooses and have that likeness appear to do whatever government chooses. I wouldn't put that past the bureaucracy itself, this administration in particular, most Dems and most Republican't's. That's just OUR government. Far worse ones exist, like China that wouldn't hesitate to misuse. The possibilities are limitless.

Entertaining your Terminator notion: For a machine to become self-aware, and fear death, it would have to have emotions. Supposedly, that is technically impossible. On the other hand, saying it is not impossible, would not attaining self-awareness make machines more than machines? Is not self-awareness the difference between Man and Beast?