PDA

View Full Version : Trump and No Labels-Not Just A Concern For Biden

Kathianne
07-27-2023, 11:27 AM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-no-labels-threat-to-trump-third-party-election-voters-polls-gop-republicans-president-2024-5d94b5b8?st=nqsrf679279xjkv&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

OPINIONCOMMENTARY
The No Labels 2024 Election Threat to Trump
If the third party puts a conservative atop its ticket, it could lure Republican voters.
By
Karl Rove
July 26, 2023 6:19 pm ET

The GOP has a similar problem if Mr. Trump is its nominee. A third party could provide an alternative for Republicans concerned about the former president’s baggage who can’t bring themselves to vote for a Democrat. Alternatively, No Labels could serve as a way station: GOP voters could dally with the idea of voting third-party then decide to skip the presidential race on the ballot or stay home altogether. Either way, Republicans could be in trouble in a tight race.

With more support than the rest of the field combined, Mr. Trump remains the GOP front-runner, but polling indicates that a lethal number of Republicans might not stick with him in the general election. The June 26 Associated Press/National Opinion Research Center poll found 23% of Republicans felt Mr. Trump did something “illegal” with the classified documents seized at Mar-a-Lago and 29% thought it unethical though not illegal. More of these may conclude Mr. Trump also broke the law after the trial begins.

This followed the June 19 Quinnipiac poll, in which 25% of Republicans said Mr. Trump acted “inappropriately” in handling classified documents after leaving office and 16% didn’t know. That 41% of Republicans aren’t rallying to his defense bodes poorly for enthusiasm in the general election. Independents are even more troubled by his behavior: Sixty-two percent said he acted “inappropriately.”

His numbers could get worse if evidence at the trial scheduled for next May shows Mr. Trump endangered national security. When asked “how serious a problem do you think it is if secret military information is shared with people who do not have a security clearance,” 54% of Republicans in a June 20 NBC poll said “very serious” and 25% said “somewhat serious.” Mr. Trump’s legal difficulties are likely to grow as more information becomes available, further depressing his numbers among Republicans and GOP-leaning independents.

What would these disaffected Republicans do if he’s the nominee? Many would swallow their concerns and back him. But some—perhaps enough to matter—could stay home or go for the No Labels ticket, if it featured a person who is conservative in important ways, especially if that candidate is on the top of the ticket.

Assume in November 2024 that 20% of Republicans believe Mr. Trump mishandled classified information by illegally taking hundreds of secret documents when he left office, including some relating to nuclear secrets and battle plans. Assume half those Republicans—10% of the GOP universe—can’t bring themselves to vote for Mr. Trump, either casting their ballot for No Labels or not voting for president.

If 10% of Republicans defect, Mr. Trump wouldn’t flip Arizona, Georgia and Wisconsin, states he must carry to regain the White House, let alone snag Michigan or Pennsylvania. He could also lose North Carolina. He won it last time by 74,483 votes out of 5.5 million cast, carrying North Carolina Republicans (37% of the state’s electorate) by a 96% to 4% margin. If 10% of Republicans had stayed home or voted third-party, that would have reduced Mr. Trump’s numbers by 122,650, costing him the state. Things get worse if you factor in any decline among independents, who are 30% of North Carolina’s voters. They backed Mr. Biden 50% to 46% in 2020.

Mr. Trump’s tactics are complicating things for Republicans. He claims the primary is already over. But if true, he should be working to unify the party. Instead, the former president is savagely attacking his opponents and their supporters. Calling Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds ungrateful for remaining publicly neutral in her state’s caucuses is stupid. So is calling financial supporters of his Republican opponents “two-faced, back-stabbing RINOs” and denouncing them as “vultures,” “cowards” and “disloyal.” Such over-the-top rhetoric gives his campaign a crazed tone and will permanently cost Mr. Trump support among Republicans.

If on top of a criminal trial and his trash campaigning, Mr. Trump has to contend with a No Labels ticket with a Reagan Republican on it, he could see a very winnable race for the GOP turn into a very losable one.

Turtles all the way down...

Gunny
07-27-2023, 11:31 AM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-no-labels-threat-to-trump-third-party-election-voters-polls-gop-republicans-president-2024-5d94b5b8?st=nqsrf679279xjkv&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Turtles all the way down...I already was playing with the math. If No Labels can put forth a candidate that appeals to the disaffected left and right, the numbers easily put both Ds and Rs on the outside looking in.

I'm all for it given current options provided the candidate holds water. Adding another fruitloop to the mix wouldn't help at all.

AHZ
07-27-2023, 11:45 AM
I already was playing with the math. If No Labels can put forth a candidate that appeals to the disaffected left and right, the numbers easily put both Ds and Rs on the outside looking in.

I'm all for it given current options provided the candidate holds water. Adding another fruitloop to the mix wouldn't help at all.

what issues do you think may unite the disaffected right and left?

Kathianne
07-27-2023, 11:54 AM
I already was playing with the math. If No Labels can put forth a candidate that appeals to the disaffected left and right, the numbers easily put both Ds and Rs on the outside looking in.

IF the choice is Trump or Biden, I'll vote for anyone that is to the right of Biden and less corrupt.

Gunny
07-27-2023, 12:28 PM
what issues do you think may unite the disaffected right and left?Trump v Biden as the D & R options.

AHZ
07-27-2023, 12:32 PM
https://www.commonsensemajority.org/_files/ugd/9f0726_a8092681d4cc40ae8623b98b83d3853d.pdf

here's the core of their beliefs.

they want to encourage more immigration,

and they are proud of the 2021 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs act.

they're a hard no for me.

AHZ
07-27-2023, 12:33 PM
Trump v Biden as the D & R options.

but what issues will make a candidate good enough to vote for?

SassyLady
07-27-2023, 01:25 PM
Close the border and deport all illegals
Stop medical tyranny
Stop human trafficking
Stop governmental censorship
Open oil production
Get rid of top tier leadership of corrupt 3 letter agencies
Get woke out of schools and military
Stop selling property around military installations to foreign government

Just to name a few

AHZ
07-27-2023, 01:27 PM
Stop medical tyranny
Stop human trafficking
Open oil production

Just to name a few

nolabels is not about any of that. it's basically for Pelosi Democrats and Romney republicans who feel they're distinctive, but offer no differences.

SassyLady
07-27-2023, 01:29 PM
nolabels is not about any of that. it's basically for Pelosi Democrats and Romney republicans who feel they're distinctive, but offer no differences.
You asked what issues would make a candidate worth voting for. I didn't specify which party had or did not have these as part of their platform. These are what are important to me as an Independent voter.

AHZ
07-27-2023, 01:37 PM
You asked what issues would make a candidate worth voting for. I didn't specify which party had or did not have these as part of their platform. These are what are important to me as an Independent voter.

ok. and i was also adding the additional information that nolabels does not address these.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-27-2023, 03:56 PM
Stop medical tyranny
Stop human trafficking
Open oil production

Just to name a few

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! --Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-27-2023, 04:00 PM
Stop medical tyranny
Stop human trafficking
Open oil production

Just to name a few

Learn to recognize our nation's true enemies. 1. China. 2. Any Islamic government. 3. dem party. 4. mainstream media, 5. Hollyweird nuts. etc..-Tyr

Gunny
07-27-2023, 04:01 PM
ok. and i was also adding the additional information that nolabels does not address these.Provide documented evidence to support your assertion, please.

AHZ
07-27-2023, 04:26 PM
Provide documented evidence to support your assertion, please.

I already provided a link to the platform pdf.

those issues are not adequately addressed within it.

go look.

nolablels is a party for pelosi democrats and romney republicans.

that's my take.

you're free to think it's awesome or whatever.

Gunny
07-27-2023, 04:46 PM
I already provided a link to the platform pdf.

those issues are not adequately addressed within it.

go look.

nolablels is a party for pelosi democrats and romney republicans.

that's my take.

you're free to think it's awesome or whatever.So you did. I like No Labels even more now that I've read the info at the link you provided. Imagine running on a platform of common sense :)

Black Diamond
07-27-2023, 04:53 PM
So you did. I like No Labels even more now that I've read the info at the link you provided. Imagine running on a platform of common sense :)

The guy doesn't help his cause.

AHZ
07-27-2023, 04:58 PM
So you did. I like No Labels even more now that I've read the info at the link you provided. Imagine running on a platform of common sense :)

it's called a platform made mostly of glittering generalities, and what substance is there is lame.

fj1200
07-27-2023, 10:57 PM
Glittering generalities might be a refreshing break. Domestic policy whipsawing by reversible EOs is not a positive way to govern.

AHZ
07-28-2023, 08:06 AM
Glittering generalities might be a refreshing break. Domestic policy whipsawing by reversible EOs is not a positive way to govern.

I disagree.

But thanks for admitting this is a substance-free, mindless go-along idiot extension pack of the mainstream uniparty.

Kathianne
07-28-2023, 08:26 AM
I disagree.

But thanks for admitting this is a substance-free, mindless go-along idiot extension pack of the mainstream uniparty.

So you celebrated when Biden undid most of what Trump had 'accomplished' through EOs, just like you did when Trump did likewise to Obama's EOs?

True genius.

fj1200
07-28-2023, 08:32 AM
I disagree.

Again, you shouldn't "admit" for other people. You're not good at it.

AHZ
07-28-2023, 08:45 AM
So you celebrated when Biden undid most of what Trump had 'accomplished' through EOs, just like you did when Trump did likewise to Obama's EOs?

True genius.

glittering generalities isn't the solution.

only elitists think glittering generality bullshit wiill always work on the "sheeple", as you call them.

we see who you are.

you're globalist liar traitors to humanity.

fj1200
07-28-2023, 08:57 AM
glittering generalities isn't the solution.

only elitists think glittering generality bullshit wiill always work on the "sheeple", as you call them.

we see who you are.

you're globalist liar traitors to humanity.

This is why you're a mindless poster. I was going to reply when you only had the 1st sentence as your reply. I clicked to reply and you had added the 2nd line. I refreshed and then you added lines 3 and 4 of your yammering inane BS. You are useless here.

AHZ
07-28-2023, 09:01 AM
This is why you're a mindless poster. I was going to reply when you only had the 1st sentence as your reply. I clicked to reply and you had added the 2nd line. I refreshed and then you added lines 3 and 4 of your yammering inane BS. You are useless here.

But really you can't take the heat.

so you seize upon superficial things to bitch about.

:dance:

but go on, tell me how regular people shouldn't think about politics but should accept "expert" opinions.

fj1200
07-28-2023, 09:10 AM
But really you can't take the heat.

so you seize upon superficial things to bitch about.

but go on, tell me how regular people shouldn't think about politics but should accept "expert" opinions.

It tells me you're not interested in Debate Policy at all. You should find a forum titled Idiots Yammering because that would more suits your efforts.

AHZ
07-28-2023, 09:16 AM
It tells me you're not interested in Debate Policy at all. You should find a forum titled Idiots Yammering because that would more suits your efforts.

You're the most moral person on the board.

praise you.

you're so much better than everyone.

fj1200
07-28-2023, 09:22 AM
You're the most moral person on the board.

Not even close but it's sweet that you're trying to butter me up. :cool:

AHZ
07-28-2023, 09:38 AM
Not even close but it's sweet that you're trying to butter me up. :cool:
:beer: