PDA

View Full Version : Should Internet Services that can be used as Terrorist Tools be Shut Down?

mrg666
10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Over the last few years, I've read a number of news articles detailing how various web services have been or could be used by terrorists in plotting their attacks. The latest example was the claim that the terrorists who recently plotted to blow up the fuel tanks at JFK airport used Google Earth to pinpoint the coordinates and get aerial views of their target

http://news.com.com/8301-[/url] 10784_3-9725253-7. Some security experts have suggested that such services should be shut down or restricted to exclude locations that might be likely attack targets from their databases.

Certainly none of us want to make it easier for terrorists to accomplish their missions - but I can't help wondering where an all-out effort to do away with everything that might aid the bad guys will lead us. After all, it's well documented that terrorists also use cell phones and email to further their plotting. Does that mean we should shut down those communications systems, as well?

If you think about it, it's a slippery slope. Do you take away tools that have valuable legitimate uses by law abiding citizens just because criminals can use them to commit crimes? That's the premise of gun control laws, but in the U.S., those laws have had dismal success records. Do we really want to extend that philosophy to Internet sites and services?

It's true that too much information can be a dangerous thing. I admit that sometimes I wish it weren't quite so easy for others to find information about me on the 'Net. It makes me uncomfortable that strangers with some Internet research savvy can find out where I live, especially considering the hate mail I sometimes get for expressing my opinions in these editorials and in other forums. On the other hand, I've used those very same research tools and techniques to locate long-lost family members and friends, thus enriching my life.

http://www.wxpnews.com/archives/wxpnews-285-20070710.htm