PDA

View Full Version : Retired Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez: Iraq a 'nightmare' for US

LiberalNation
10-12-2007, 10:51 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071013/ap_on_re_mi_ea/sanchez_iraq

ARLINGTON, Va. - The U.S. mission in Iraq is a "nightmare with no end in sight" because of political misjudgments after the fall of Saddam Hussein that continue today, a former chief of U.S.-led forces said Friday.

Retired Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, who commanded coalition troops for a year beginning June 2003, cast a wide net of blame for both political and military shortcomings in Iraq that helped open the way for the insurgency — such as disbanding the Saddam-era military and failing to cement ties with tribal leaders and quickly establish civilian government after Saddam was toppled.

He called current strategies — including the deployment of 30,000 additional forces earlier this year — a "desperate attempt" to make up for years of misguided policies in Iraq.

"There is no question that America is living a nightmare with no end in sight," Sanchez told a group of journalists covering military affairs.

Sanchez avoided singling out at any specific official. But he did criticize the State Department, the National Security Council, Congress and the senior military leadership during what appeared to be a broad indictment of White House policies and a lack of leadership to oppose them.

Such assessments — even by former Pentagon brass — are not new, but they have added resonance as debates over war strategy dominate the presidential campaign.

The Bush administration didn't directly address Sanchez's critical views.

"We appreciate his service to the country," said White House spokesman Trey Bohn. He added that as U.S. commander in Iraq Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker have said: "There is more work to be done, but progress is being made in Iraq and that's what we're focused on now."

Sanchez retired from the Army last year, two years after he completing a tumultuous year as commander of all U.S. forces in Iraq. As he stepped down, he called his career a casualty of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal.

He was never charged with anything but he was not promoted in the aftermath of the prisoner abuse reports. He was criticized by some for not doing more to avoid mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners.

Sanchez told the gathering that he thought he had made mistakes and said he didn't always fully appreciate the secondary affects of actions the military took.

He did deny reports that he and then-Iraqi administrator L. Paul Bremer were not on speaking terms. He said they spoke every day.

The retired soldier stressed that it became clear during his command that the mission was severely handicapped because the State Department and other agencies were not adequately contributing to a mission that could not be won by military force alone.

When asked when he saw that the mission was going awry, he responded: "About the 15th of June 2003" — the day he took command.

"There is nothing going on today in Washington that would give us hope" that things are going to change, he said.

Sanchez went on to offer a pessimistic view on the current U.S. strategy against extremists will make lasting gains, but said a full-scale withdrawal also was not an option.

"The American military finds itself in an intractable situation ... America has no choice but to continue our efforts in Iraq," said Sanchez, who works as a consultant training U.S. generals.

darin
10-12-2007, 11:20 PM
So...what did he say that nobody knew? Read your own post: "Such assessments are not new"

retiredman
10-12-2007, 11:24 PM
so...when the former guy in charge says The U.S. mission in Iraq is a "nightmare with no end in sight" that is reason to wave the pompoms more vigorously, I take it?

LiberalNation
10-12-2007, 11:25 PM
No but he put it in more pessimistic terms than any other who has held is rank and been as involved in this war as far as I can tell. That's why we have the catchy headlines.

darin
10-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Keep in mind you're reading quotes. If you were there the pessimism may not be so apparent. ;)

retiredman
10-12-2007, 11:33 PM
so..."hearing" the general say The U.S. mission in Iraq is a "nightmare with no end in sight" rather than merely reading about it might make it seem like a good thing?

stephanie
10-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Sanchez retired from the Army last year, two years after he completing a tumultuous year as commander of all U.S. forces in Iraq. As he stepped down, he called his career a casualty of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal.

He was never charged with anything but he was not promoted in the aftermath of the prisoner abuse reports. He was criticized by some for not doing more to avoid mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners.

nuff said.....

retiredman
10-12-2007, 11:43 PM
nuff said.....

so... therefore, the general's opinion is not enough evidence for you to put down the koolaid and the pompoms? the men dying in Iraq will be pleased to know of the strength of your resolve! well done

stephanie
10-12-2007, 11:51 PM
so... therefore, the general's opinion is not enough evidence for you to put down the koolaid and the pompoms? the men dying in Iraq will be pleased to know of the strength of your resolve! well done

You don't know my life..I root for our soldiers.........FIRST AND FORMOST....

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/thcheer.gif http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/thcheer.gif http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/thcheer.gif

Psychoblues
10-18-2007, 11:50 PM
What is the problem you have with "quotes", dmp?

Keep in mind you're reading quotes. If you were there the pessimism may not be so apparent. ;)

Is that why you delete so many of mine?

actsnoblemartin
10-18-2007, 11:54 PM
maineman, how do we decide which general(s) we should listen to/who has more credibility?

I think that is an a fair question.

If you wanna discuss it, cool, or if not, no biggie.

just a thought.

As always, Thanks for youre service patriot

And for the record, your political views, will never take away your patriot status in my opinion.

:salute:

82Marine89
10-19-2007, 08:36 AM

For every General Sanchez, there are 100's more veterans that support what we are doing. They appreciate our support and it means a lot to them. Why is that generals opinion more valued than that of the boots on the ground? Is it because he has a dissenting opinion? What if he agreed and said that short of a few glitches, everything was going well? Would you then label him a traitor?

Immanuel
10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
"Sanchez retired from the Army last year, two years after he completing a tumultuous year as commander of all U.S. forces in Iraq. As he stepped down, he called his career a casualty of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal.

He was never charged with anything but he was not promoted in the aftermath of the prisoner abuse reports. He was criticized by some for not doing more to avoid mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners. "

nuff said.....

So, what you are saying is that Sanchez is the fall guy for Abu Ghraib?

I agree that is how it looks to me as well.

Immie