PDA

View Full Version : Hard To Believe But There Have Been More Divisive Times In US

Kathianne
08-26-2023, 01:14 PM
I vaguely remember the '68 Democratic Convention in Chicago. My uncle was a lieutenant and had to get stitches from some encounter there. All of the assassinations, even Wallace being shot and paralyzed did make for a very confusing vision of where the country was going during elementary and upper elementary years.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-is-often-a-nation-divided-politics-election-gop-voters-debate-unrest-9100042a?st=2k941f26mybev4t&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

OPINIONCOMMENTARY
America Is Often a Nation Divided
U.S. politics today is ugly and broken, true enough. But the good news is that it was worse in the past, and it will get better again.
By Karl Rove

Aug. 25, 2023 3:03 pm ET

America is deeply divided. Our politics is broken, marked by anger, contempt and distrust. We must acknowledge that reality but not lose historical perspective. It’s bad now, but it’s been worse before—and not only during the Civil War.

Let’s look backward and start with the mid-1960s to early ’70s. The nation was bitterly divided over civil rights, the “sexual revolution” and an increasingly unpopular war in Southeast Asia.

The just and peaceful civil-rights protests of the 1950s and early ’60s were often met with state-sanctioned violence. Then Harlem exploded in 1964, followed by a riot in Philadelphia. Watts went up in flames in 1965; Chicago, Cleveland and San Francisco the next year. A total of 163 cities—including Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, Newark, N.J., New York and Portland, Ore.—suffered widespread violence in the “Long Hot Summer” of 1967. On April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, Tenn. Riots broke out in more than 130 American cities, with 47 killed in the ensuing violence. Two months later Robert Kennedy was assassinated in Los Angeles.

That same year the nation’s most prominent segregationist, George Wallace, running for president as an independent, won five states in the Deep South. In 1972 he came in third for the Democratic nomination, 1.8 points behind the winner in total primary vote.

Beginning in 1965, the country was rocked by demonstrations over the Vietnam War, many of them student-led. In some instances, governors sent in the National Guard to restore order. After guardsmen killed four students in 1970 at Ohio’s Kent State, protests broke out on 350 campuses, involving an estimated two million people. Thirty-five thousand antiwar protesters assaulted the Pentagon in October 1967. An estimated 10,000 tried shutting down the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. Four years later, thousands tried the same at the GOP convention in Miami Beach. The U.S. experienced more than 2,500 domestic bombings in 18 months in 1971-72.

Two presidents were driven from office during this period. Lyndon B. Johnson opted against seeking re-election in 1968 because of the war. Richard Nixon, facing impeachment over Watergate, resigned in 1974.

Black Diamond
08-26-2023, 01:16 PM
The civil war

Kathianne
08-26-2023, 01:19 PM
The civil war

It's mentioned, interesting read.

fj1200
08-26-2023, 01:35 PM
I vaguely remember the '68 Democratic Convention in Chicago. My uncle was a lieutenant and had to get stitches from some encounter there. All of the assassinations, even Wallace being shot and paralyzed did make for a very confusing vision of where the country was going during elementary and upper elementary years.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-is-often-a-nation-divided-politics-election-gop-voters-debate-unrest-9100042a?st=2k941f26mybev4t&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

That was awesome. The link, not the stitches. :hide:

Gunny
08-27-2023, 01:15 PM

Just from my POV, it doesn't equate. The simple reasoning is this: that period of time is marked by the people uprising against government. Currently, it's the government crushing the people from every angle.

I don't recall having a vision on where the country was going. My viewpoint at the time was that of a military dependent on a military base full of military and dependents and half our dads were in Nam. We hated the chaplain and were relieved when his car passed by, but it always stopped. We lived our lives with that always in the backs of our minds.

I do recall in 68 when they killed RFK and MLK. Again, we lived on base so were insulated from all the civil violence in the civilian world. I recall Nixon running on ending the war then escalating it.

AHZ
08-27-2023, 02:13 PM
Just from my POV, it doesn't equate. The simple reasoning is this: that period of time is marked by the people uprising against government. Currently, it's the government crushing the people from every angle.

I don't recall having a vision on where the country was going. My viewpoint at the time was that of a military dependent on a military base full of military and dependents and half our dads were in Nam. We hated the chaplain and were relieved when his car passed by, but it always stopped. We lived our lives with that always in the backs of our minds.

I do recall in 68 when they killed RFK and MLK. Again, we lived on base so were insulated from all the civil violence in the civilian world. I recall Nixon running on ending the war then escalating it.

also consider the media.

the media was pretty much with the dissidents, the hippies. now the media is against the populists. that's a bad sign.

Gunny
08-27-2023, 02:25 PM
also consider the media.

the media was pretty much with the dissidents, the hippies. now the media is against the populists. that's a bad sign.I disagree with that. The MSM was pro-America/government until the early 70s at least. Cronkite declaring the Vietnam War unwinnable was a huge blow and any lesser person stating such would have been buried. But Walter was gospel:rolleyes:

The MSM turned on government because Nixon vilified and tried to ostracize it. So the MSM took him down.

MSM of course covered hippies, protests, race riots, etc because it was sensational news.

AHZ
08-27-2023, 02:29 PM
I disagree with that. The MSM was pro-America/government until the early 70s at least. Cronkite declaring the Vietnam War unwinnable was a huge blow and any lesser person stating such would have been buried. But Walter was gospel:rolleyes:

The MSM turned on government because Nixon vilified and tried to ostracize it. So the MSM took him down.

MSM of course covered hippies, protests, race riots, etc because it was sensational news.

yeah. you probably know better. I was born in 71.

but there was that turning point to the hippies. from establishment to anti-establishment (even if the hippy movement was also a psyop:bop:).

Gunny
08-27-2023, 02:38 PM
yeah. you probably know better. I was born in 71.

but there was that turning point to the hippies. from establishment to anti-establishment (even if the hippy movement was also a psyop:bop:).Do you even know what an actual hippy is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie

icansayit
08-27-2023, 06:22 PM
But that doesn't mean we have to put up with the highly visible attempts
to destroy what we have as Americans, by a number of Americans who Hate
their own nation, and even call themselves White Supreme Whatevers...
because they feel bad they are WHITE.
Nor should ANY OF US...As Americans, be willing to just bow down and
allow a few angry people who are unhappy about their gender, or color
to grab all of the power from CORRUPT politicians who depend on RADICAL VOTES.

AHZ
08-28-2023, 05:21 AM
Do you even know what an actual hippy is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie

it is noteworthy that the media was with the hippies eventually and is against the trumpers.

the pentagon papers guy was considered a hero.

and julian assange is villified.

this is a meaningful contrast.

Gunny
08-28-2023, 04:03 PM
it is noteworthy that the media was with the hippies eventually and is against the trumpers.

the pentagon papers guy was considered a hero.

and julian assange is villified.

this is a meaningful contrast.I don't have time to give you a class. You're repeating rhetoric. The issue is WAY more complicated than that.

AHZ
08-28-2023, 04:07 PM
I don't have time to give you a class. You're repeating rhetoric. The issue is WAY more complicated than that.

Well make time.