PDA

View Full Version : Alabama to be first state to execute prisoner using pure nitrogen, setting off debate

Gunny
08-27-2023, 01:05 PM
They need to quit this fussing around and trying to placate the "Against-ers" who are ALWAYS against, no matter what. How humane was this guy's murder for hire?

Bullet to the back of the head. Dead before the brain can register pain.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alabama-first-state-execute-prisoner-using-pure-nitrogen-setting-off-debate-death-penalty-methods

fj1200
08-27-2023, 01:08 PM
An effective end-around to most, all? of the arguments.

Except that maybe we just outlaw the death penalty.

Gunny
08-27-2023, 01:20 PM
An effective end-around to most, all? of the arguments.

Except that maybe we just outlaw the death penalty.My standard death penalty argument:

I'm okay with it in cases where there is 110% no doubt whatsoever of guilt. Given the current state of our system, I'm not comfortable with executing anyone if there's even a glimmer, astronomical chance of innocence. Whoops. New technology found the real killer:rolleyes:

fj1200
08-27-2023, 01:23 PM
My standard death penalty argument:

I'm okay with it in cases where there is 110% no doubt whatsoever of guilt. Given the current state of our system, I'm not comfortable with executing anyone if there's even a glimmer, astronomical chance of innocence. Whoops. New technology found the real killer:rolleyes:

Don't grant the State the power to take life. But I would probably agree that... some people just need killin'.

Gunny
08-27-2023, 01:43 PM

Don't grant the State the power to take life. But I would probably agree that... some people just need killin'.There's that :)

I can't speak for everyone because people will cling to life no matter what because they know nothing else. To me, being locked in a cage like a zoo animal IS the "death penalty". Life without parole? Kill me now. I'd say the majority is not of the same opinion.

Again, the argument with me is an imperfect system. Can't bring back to life someone wrongfully executed. Given a good view of current events with our legal system, where the difference between the classes and how much "justice" can be bought, I'd have to vote against giving the power to execute people to the state.

AHZ
08-28-2023, 01:05 PM

Don't grant the State the power to take life. But I would probably agree that... some people just need killin'.

do you listen to yourself?

some people just need killin'?

really?

Black Diamond
08-28-2023, 01:07 PM

really?

Osama bin laden ? Saddam Hussein ?

AHZ
08-28-2023, 01:16 PM
Osama bin laden ? Saddam Hussein ?
oh, when u put it that way.....

fj1200
08-28-2023, 01:51 PM

really?

I can on the one hand argue that the state should not have the power to deny life. But I can also agree that some people are not entitled to the life that they have. But it's not in my hands and shouldn't be in the state's hands.

You should try reading and comprehending prior to yammering a few words out of your keyboard.

Gunny
08-28-2023, 03:56 PM

really?Really.

tailfins
08-28-2023, 04:32 PM

really?

It's the only sentence with a zero recidivism rate.

AHZ
08-28-2023, 05:15 PM

based.

fj1200
08-28-2023, 06:34 PM

The question to me is state power. Besides, the way we do the death penalty in this country is not worth the trouble.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-29-2023, 07:42 AM
Dead is dead! Does not matter if it is gas or bullet to the head, imho.
There are many ways to make it painless.--Tyr

Gunny
08-29-2023, 05:01 PM
Dead is dead! Does not matter if it is gas or bullet to the head, imho.
There are many ways to make it painless.--TyrI'm not really concerned with the method, nor whether or not it is painless. I'm more concerned with how it is used in our two-tier justice system.

Not only that, but the justice system in general. The judiciary and the government should be ashamed at the appeals process and all the red tape, one-and-done bullshit associated with it where the death penalty is concerned. They've broken more than one bank and countless years proving some people convicted were actually innocent. The main driver in that is the State refusing to give up its conviction and/or admit it made a mistake.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-30-2023, 06:51 AM
I'm not really concerned with the method, nor whether or not it is painless. I'm more concerned with how it is used in our two-tier justice system.

Not only that, but the justice system in general. The judiciary and the government should be ashamed at the appeals process and all the red tape, one-and-done bullshit associated with it where the death penalty is concerned. They've broken more than one bank and countless years proving some people convicted were actually innocent. The main driver in that is the State refusing to give up its conviction and/or admit it made a mistake.

True, but my point is the death penalty is--- punishment meted out.
As--punishment- it should hurt, imho
If it is to be used as --punishment-- it should hurt. -Tyr

Gunny
08-30-2023, 07:56 AM
True, but my point is the death penalty is--- punishment meted out.
As--punishment- it should hurt, imho
If it is to be used as --punishment-- it should hurt. -TyrPunishment is one of "those" topics. IMO, punishment should be commensurate to the crime. Enough grey area in that to cover the Earth. Wrongfully take a life, forfeit your own is a good example. I don't see that pain is inherent nor necessary so long as the price is paid.

In Middle Eastern culture, if you deprive another of their livelihood/means of supporting their family, you can be liable for replacing that loss until you or they die. Kinda like alimony:laugh:

SassyLady
08-30-2023, 03:27 PM
Punishment is one of "those" topics. IMO, punishment should be commensurate to the crime. Enough grey area in that to cover the Earth. Wrongfully take a life, forfeit your own is a good example. I don't see that pain is inherent nor necessary so long as the price is paid.

In Middle Eastern culture, if you deprive another of their livelihood/means of supporting their family, you can be liable for replacing that loss until you or they die. Kinda like alimony:laugh:
I believe the punishment should mirror the crime. You stabbed someone and left them to bleed out ... that's your punishment.

Just read about a guy who killed his wife somewhere in Europe ... 7 years and he's out. He just wanted to be rid of her because he was having an affair. That's what happens when there's no death penalty.

My brother killed 3 people. He should have got the death penalty. SOB is still alive 40 years later. In prison but still alive.