PDA

View Full Version : Black leader picks Hillary over Obama

stephanie
10-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Oh my??? say hello to VP Obama....

By Brian DeBose
October 13, 2007

U.S. Rep. John Lewis, Georgia Democrat, officially endorsed Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, New York Democrat, for the Democratic presidential nomination at a campaign stop yesterday in Atlanta.

The civil rights arm of the Democratic Party is officially split between Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

Mr. Obama's plan to have a clean sweep of the civil rights community's biggest names was foiled yesterday when Rep. John Lewis, Georgia Democrat, endorsed Mrs. Clinton, New York Democrat, thus creating a major split with an unpredictable impact on black voters.

"I have looked at all the candidates, and I believe that Hillary Clinton is the best prepared to lead this country at a time when we are in desperate need of strong leadership," Mr. Lewis said.

"She will restore a greater sense of community in America, and reclaim our standing in the world."

This also is not the first time Mr. Lewis has favored a white female Democrat over one of his Congressional Black Caucus colleagues in a race for party leadership.

He endorsed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, California Democrat, for minority leader in 2002, snubbing Rep. Harold Ford, a fellow black caucus member who also was running for the position.

"It is a very interesting paradigm, and the question becomes, 'Will it ultimately serve the community as a whole?' " the Rev. Al Sharpton said. "If everyone who has endorsed has been able to secure commitments, then it is good for the community; but if they are just doing it based on some other reason, a Cabinet post, etc., then it hurts the community."

Mr. Sharpton, who has not yet endorsed a candidate, said he has not been impressed enough with any of the candidates' civil rights agendas to make a decision.

read the rest
http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071013/NATION/110130039

Hugh Lincoln
10-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I was just wondering. When Hillary/Obama win, will the minority racists shut the fuck up about how they're so damn oppressed and "white men run everything"? Will Jesse and Al pack it up? Will the NAACP close shop? Will we stop affirmative action, realizing that if a black is the damn VP it's hard to argue that blacks need it?

Probably not.