PDA

View Full Version : Why DeSantis Is Worth Considering

Kathianne
08-31-2023, 10:51 AM
I've not made up my mind. Contrary to the Trump mouth piece here, my hesitation regarding DeSantis is how Trump-like he sounded early on-while I was living in AZ-not FL.

Talked to brother-who does live in FL-he doesn't like DeSantis on 'culture' issues, too 'Trump like,' BUT he understands how competent he is as governor, (kinda important).

This fits into that narrative:

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2023/08/31/this-is-how-its-done-n574854

This is how it's doneDAVID STROM 8:01 AM on August 31, 2023

This is how it's done

By far the best reason to support Governor DeSantis, or at least admire him as an outstanding governor, is that he is uber-competent when it comes to actual governing.

This is not a post explaining why I support DeSantis over Trump–that is, at the moment, a pointless exercise anyway. All I really want to do is highlight the fact that being a good leader requires something besides saying the right things, but actually accomplishing the important things. And how accomplishing the important things allows you to say the right things and move the ball forward.

DeSantis has proven to be an exceptionally competent governor, and while most Republicans outside Florida think of the governor in terms of his bravery in fighting the culture war, most of his popularity in Florida stems from his ability to actually do the meat and potatoes of governing exceptionally well.

He has shown this time and again, and especially so in responding to hurricanes. DeSantis does what few politicians do well: do a deep dive into the mechanics of an issue, think through priorities, prepare, and then execute a plan. The results speak for themselves. Even his detractors have a difficult time criticizing his emergency management skills.

He is that good.

It is only after achieving the primary goal that he turns to controversial issues, and this gets us to his second great virtue: he is fearless in the face of criticism. You saw this during COVID–not only did he do his deep dive, but once he decided to go down a politically dangerous path he never wavered. He took the slings and arrows, and the people of Florida trusted him to go down an unconventional path because they knew he was competent.

DeSantis vs. the CDC during COVID? Who would you trust after watching the CDC bungle everything?

He is doing the same thing with Hurricane Idalia. He did everything possible to ensure that emergency response crews were ready and mobilized, and immediately unleashed them to start the cleanup and repairs. So far everything has gone amazingly well.

Next, he turned to the cultural issues: crime and looting.

Every conservative sees this and applauds. But what DeSantis is saying here turns off half the country. You can expect the pundits on the Left to go nuclear on DeSantis as a bloodthirsty tyrant, reveling in violence. People over property! and all that. It may not seem like it, but it takes guts to take a stand like this, and more guts to empower homeowners to defend their families and their property so strongly.

What DeSantis is doing here is not just making a policy statement; he is putting a stake in the ground. His recovery work is about restoring the benefits of civilization, and his warning is about defending civilization itself. Looting is anti-civilization, and you may face the death penalty if you cross that line.

This is how it is done. We are in the midst of a cultural battle over whether our civilization deserves to live. I am completely serious about the stakes: Will we have a civilization or not? The Left’s vision is the Portland/San Francisco/open borders/high crime/drug-infested world they have created and continue to defend.

And those property crimes the Left has decriminalized are no less decivilizing than drug abuse or robbery on the streets. Homeless encampments are as great a threat to civilization as violent crime. This is true because the root of all of it is the rejection of law and limits.

Think “broken windows,” which proved that all crimes including violent crimes have their root in declining respect for civilization itself. Take care of the small things and you have fewer instances of the big things to worry about.

“You loot we shoot” is a straightforward defense of civilization itself. It’s not just about silverware, cameras, or big TVs. It is about preserving individual rights, respect for laws, and respect for each other. People over predators.

DeSantis couldn’t be clearer about defending the foundation of civilization: he does the basics of governing exceptionally well, then takes back cultural territory that never should have been lost.

This is how it’s done.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 10:58 AM
I've not made up my mind. Contrary to the Trump mouth piece here, my hesitation regarding DeSantis is how Trump-like he sounded early on-while I was living in AZ-not FL.

Talked to brother-who does live in FL-he doesn't like DeSantis on 'culture' issues, too 'Trump like,' BUT he understands how competent he is as governor, (kinda important).

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2023/08/31/this-is-how-its-done-n574854

he's no longer a contender.

Kathianne
08-31-2023, 11:00 AM
he's no longer a contender.

:laugh2:

Contrary to voices in your head and your 'yes masta' crowd, those 'facts' are not facts.

fj1200
08-31-2023, 11:01 AM
Populism shouts down competing viewpoints.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 11:24 AM
Populism shouts down competing viewpoints.

and elitists use the power of the state and standing armies to murder dissenters.

fj1200
08-31-2023, 11:51 AM
and elitists use the power of the state and standing armies to murder dissenters.

That doesn't really happen here.

Populism thrives in the vacuum of ideas.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 12:03 PM
That doesn't really happen here.

Populism thrives in the vacuum of ideas.

no.

populism is just a rejection of elitist assholery.

it's elitists who shut down the conversation by banning people.

Kathianne
08-31-2023, 12:09 PM
no.

Warning 1

fj1200
08-31-2023, 12:11 PM
no.

I agree that ultimately populism has much in common with elitism. It's ultimately fealty to a different head.

Populists aren't very good at defining ideals.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 12:13 PM
Warning 1

I'm talking about other media like youtube, facebook and twitter.

The mods here are humble, lovable, and clearly duty-bound above all else.

:salute::salute::beer::salute::salute:

AHZ
08-31-2023, 12:16 PM
I agree that ultimately populism has much in common with elitism. It's ultimately fealty to a different head.

Populists aren't very good at defining ideals.

but we can recognize fascism v. freedom.:2up:

fj1200
08-31-2023, 12:24 PM
but we can recognize fascism v. freedom.:2up:

You're fairly ignorant to the history of populist movements. They typically move towards fascism and away from whatever their current calling card is; you apparently are calling it freedom. The current populists may start out hoping for freedom but they'll have to move towards fascism when they realize that they can't control people, processes of government, markets, etc. They have to control all of it to achieve whatever the populist raison d'etre is.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
You're fairly ignorant to the history of populist movements. They typically move towards fascism and away from whatever their current calling card is; you apparently are calling it freedom. The current populists may start out hoping for freedom but they'll have to move towards fascism when they realize that they can't control people, processes of government, markets, etc. They have to control all of it to achieve whatever the populist raison d'etre is.

what do we call it when someone objects to big pharma using state capture to force its products on people and protect itself from legal liability?

It's actually the multinational corporate cartels which must control the media to stop people from mobilizing against them.

consider the fbi commanding social media to ban political opponents of the administration, and politically uncomfortable stories.

fj1200
08-31-2023, 12:41 PM
what do we call it when someone objects to big pharma using state capture to force its products on people and protect itself from legal liability?

It's actually the multinational corporate cartels which must control the media to stop people from mobilizing against them.

consider the fbi commanding social media to ban political opponents of the administration, and politically uncomfortable stories.

You don't have to be a populist to object to things you disagree with.

Nothing you posted means I'm not correct.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 12:48 PM
You don't have to be a populist to object to things you disagree with.

Nothing you posted means I'm not correct.

I find discussing those items inevitably brings emotional squeals about populism.

fj1200
08-31-2023, 12:52 PM
I find discussing those items inevitably brings emotional squeals about populism.

Really? Whenever you yammer on about town and other forums somebody starts to decry populism? They must be very smart people.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 12:53 PM
Really? Whenever you yammer on about town and other forums somebody starts to decry populism? They must be very smart people.

yes. around other places, other forums.

not here though. oddly it never happens here.

fj1200
08-31-2023, 12:57 PM
yes. around other places, other forums.

not here though. oddly it never happens here.

You're a liar. :slap:

Nobody is smarter than Kathianne.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 01:13 PM

Kathianne is the God-Emperor.

how about that?

fj1200
08-31-2023, 01:27 PM
No good. She's very humble.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 01:31 PM
No good. She's very humble.

She's basically a jar of sunshine on a rainy day!

fj1200
08-31-2023, 01:33 PM
Moving on. To recap: DeSantis, good governor. Populists, suck.

Kathianne
08-31-2023, 03:41 PM

Lol!

Kathianne
08-31-2023, 03:42 PM
Ok, what a great thread, at least the last little bit.:laugh:

Gunny
08-31-2023, 04:44 PM

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2023/08/31/this-is-how-its-done-n574854Agree. Not sold. My father lives in FL as well and loves the guy :) I stated early on he needed to stay above the Trump fray and not get dragged into the sewer with Trump. He appeared for a moment to be getting dragged into the lefty, woke-ass Disney gutter as well. In both cases, unlike Trump, he says what he has to say, lets the chips fall where they may, then goes his merry way (no, I'm NOT auditioning for Tyr's job :))

He's on the "still alive" list with me.

Black Diamond
08-31-2023, 05:02 PM
I think he should have waited until 2028.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 05:07 PM
I think he should have waited until 2028.

he's an ingate and a fraud.

Black Diamond
08-31-2023, 05:07 PM
he's an ingate and a fraud.

Okay. :laugh:

Gunny
08-31-2023, 05:12 PM
I think he should have waited until 2028.I stated from the beginning he should have entered 2024 only if Trump was out simply to keep himself disassociated with Trump and not get dragged down by Trump's pettiness.

From current observation, I still think he should have waited. From appearances, he waited until the last minute to decide and is unprepared.

Gunny
08-31-2023, 05:13 PM
he's an ingate and a fraud.Nobody cares what you think.

AHZ
08-31-2023, 06:20 PM
Nobody cares what you think.

I disagree.

Kathianne
08-31-2023, 10:58 PM
Some folks really like DeSantis, although this too looks more like accolades of his results, rather than his persona. Seems he's missing the persona thing.

https://www.outkick.com/ron-desantis-is-second-to-none-at-handling-crisis-tomi-lahren/

RON DESANTIS IS SECOND TO NONE AT HANDLING CRISIS | TOMI LAHRENby TOMI LAHREN
August 31, 2023, 8:00 pm
Videos by OutKick
Hurricanes are nothing new to Florida residents, and since Ron DeSantis became governor, true leadership has been a steady constant as well.

His ability to plan, execute and lead during times of disaster is unmatched, whether it be a hurricane or COVID tyranny or day-to-day tasks, he shows up, he does the job, he makes it about the people and not himself.

And as much as the mainstream networks WISH they could say otherwise and as much was they likely hated to feature his leadership this week in the face of Hurricane Idalia, even they couldn’t find a way to make the governor look bad.

He gave them no room to do that, not an inch.

DeSantis: We’re now up to 1.1 million gallons of fuel that is on standby to be able to mitigate any fuel interruptions. And sometimes you have it, sometimes you don’t. We’d rather be safe than sorry. So that fuel is there and that can be deployed as needed. There are reports of people trying to loot down in Steinhatchee, and I’ve told all of our personnel at the state level, you know, you you protect people’s property and and we are not going to tolerate any looting in the aftermath of a natural disaster. I’d also just remind potential looters that people you never know what you’re walking into. People have a right to defend their property. We’ve also worked with the Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association to make sure that all hotels will allow you to bring your pets, not leave your pets behind. You got to take them with them. Take them with you. And these hotels are going to be understanding of that.

Ron DeSantis is a leader
That’s what leading from the front looks like.

And in times of crisis – whether Trump supporters and Leftists want to admit it or not – Ron DeSantis is second to none.

And that’s also why I’m really sick and tired of those on the Left and the Right unfairly coming after the man and his family.

You don’t have to like him or vote for him. If your guy is still Trump or if your guy is Sleepy Creepy Joe or even Greasy Gavin – fine, whatever.

But to make DeSantis out to be some villain or some inept leader is not only BS but a lie.

He might not be charismatic or the life of the party but when push comes to shove, he gets the job done.

Make America, Florida.

Those are my Final Thoughts.

Gunny
09-01-2023, 01:36 PM
Some folks really like DeSantis, although this too looks more like accolades of his results, rather than his persona. Seems he's missing the persona thing.

https://www.outkick.com/ron-desantis-is-second-to-none-at-handling-crisis-tomi-lahren/I like him. He IS a good leader. My comments regarding his run is that I think he's a little on the military side for the mainstream to take. Doesn't bother me a bit, but I make civilians recoil at my bluntness as well :)

Harsh doesn't bother me when he's stepping up to the plate. A trait becoming as rare as the dodo bird as far as politics are concerned.