PDA

View Full Version : Golden Rule as Guidance for Law

AHZ
09-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Matthew 7

12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%207&version=NIV

It seems to me that jesus clearly wants the golden rule to be a basis for law or at least morality.

AHZ
09-02-2023, 11:56 AM
SUMS UP THE LAW

sometimes it just comes down to "words mean things".

like "shall not be infringed" means something.

Gunny
09-02-2023, 11:58 AM
It seems to me that jesus clearly wants the golden rule to be a basis for law or at least morality.

The "Golden Rule" pre-dates Jesus Christ as a written idea, and what Christ wishes means nothing to non-Christians rendering it an exclusive rule. Try selling it as "proposed" law based on its idealism rather than a single religion, inclusive for all people.

AHZ
09-02-2023, 11:59 AM
The "Golden Rule" pre-dates Jesus Christ as a written idea, and what Christ wishes means nothing to non-Christians rendering it an exclusive rule. Try selling it as "proposed" law based on its idealism rather than a single religion, inclusive for all people.

that's fine. he knew a good thing when he saw it and incorporated it into into his platform.

Gunny
09-02-2023, 12:01 PM
SUMS UP THE LAW

sometimes it just comes down to "words mean things".

like "shall not be infringed" means something.Watch your step. Words do mean things. You should try practicing that rule sometime.

If your whole plan today is to try and fuck with me, don't. You will lose.

fj1200
09-02-2023, 01:03 PM
Three verses later...

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

AHZ
09-02-2023, 01:23 PM
Three verses later...

was jesus talking about himself?

all im saying is the golden rule is central to christian morality.

this is nothing new.

this is basic.

fj1200
09-02-2023, 01:31 PM
These two threads have generally been a silly discussion.

AHZ
09-02-2023, 01:33 PM

is the golden rule communism?

fj1200
09-02-2023, 01:35 PM
is the golden rule communism?

Clearly it's golden-rulism.

Gunny
09-02-2023, 01:36 PM

The topic is discussion-worthy. It's just not supposed to go in endless, meaningless circles :rolleyes:

AHZ
09-02-2023, 03:05 PM
The topic is discussion-worthy. It's just not supposed to go in endless, meaningless circles :rolleyes:

let's keep going.

what's your point in constantly mentioning "confucius said it tooo"?

does that mean jesus didn't also espouse it?

whats your point exactly?

Black Diamond
09-02-2023, 03:15 PM
let's keep going.

whats your point exactly?

Probably that it isn't the crux of Christianity.

AHZ
09-02-2023, 03:20 PM
Probably that it isn't the crux of Christianity.

"sum of the law and prophets" seems cruxy to me.

and in the bible it's something jesus said verbatim. confucuius also saying it means it's probably just extra smart.

AHZ
09-02-2023, 05:47 PM
why is there hostility towards the golden rule?

Black Diamond
09-02-2023, 06:20 PM
why is there hostility towards the golden rule?

I think there is hostility toward you. You attract it.

AHZ
09-02-2023, 07:11 PM
I think there is hostility toward you. You attract it.

because liars hate the truth.

the man of perdition hates jesus.

Black Diamond
09-02-2023, 07:33 PM
because liars hate the truth.

the man of perdition hates jesus.

I think there is an analogy in there. I wonder how that'll go over

AHZ
09-03-2023, 06:15 AM
I think there is an analogy in there. I wonder how that'll go over
peace be unto you.

AHZ
09-03-2023, 06:51 AM
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Golden-Rule
Golden Rule, precept in the Gospel of Matthew (7:12): “In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you. . . .” This rule of conduct is a summary of the Christian’s duty to his neighbour and states a fundamental ethical (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ethical) principle.

that's "fundamental ethical principle".

AHZ
09-03-2023, 06:59 AM
a

Gunny
09-03-2023, 11:31 AM
let's keep going.

whats your point exactly?That the idea of mutual cooperation and courtesy isn't solely a Christian idea. Let's take apart your usual Stoopid:rolleyes::

Did I state Christ never stated the "Golden Rule"? Bzzzt. No.

Mutual cooperation and courtesy is the cornerstone of civilization/society and comes into play as a matter of survival when removed from an artificial/superficial society that exists polishing chairs with its asses in front of technology. When people band together as a means of survival they have to get along or banding together for survival is pointless.

As far as my response in your thread of ever-changing goal posts goes, when you appeal only to Christians, you exclude the rest of the World. Since you place so much emphasis on what a perfect rule the Golden Rule is, it needs to appeal to all. If it does not, you lose support for your idea.

What's more important? The idea that benefits all? Or your petty, ignorant myopia?

AHZ
09-03-2023, 11:40 AM
That the idea of mutual cooperation and courtesy isn't solely a Christian idea. Let's take apart your usual Stoopid:rolleyes::

Did I state Christ never stated the "Golden Rule"? Bzzzt. No.

Mutual cooperation and courtesy is the cornerstone of civilization/society and comes into play as a matter of survival when removed from an artificial/superficial society that exists polishing chairs with its asses in front of technology. When people band together as a means of survival they have to get along or banding together for survival is pointless.

As far as my response in your thread of ever-changing goal posts goes, when you appeal only to Christians, you exclude the rest of the World. Since you place so much emphasis on what a perfect rule the Golden Rule is, it needs to appeal to all. If it does not, you lose support for your idea.

What's more important? The idea that benefits all? Or your petty, ignorant myopia?

I didn't say it was solely christian.

Im not appealing only to christians.

as you said confucius said it too.

the idea and the benefits from the idea are most important.

I propose the golden rule be seen as more important than the nicene creed.

are you going to now call me a heretic?

Gunny
09-03-2023, 11:44 AM
I didn't say it was solely christian.

Im not appealing only to christians.

as you said confucius said it too.

the idea and the benefits from the idea are most important.

I propose the golden rule be seen as more important than the nicene creed.

are you going to now call me a heretic?Does complex thought elude you? How about remembering what you previously posted?

You are using Jesus Christ as the justification for whatever it is you think about the Golden Rule. This isn't hard math:rolleyes:

Not to mention in my previous post I presented you with reasoning for applying it to all.

AHZ
09-03-2023, 12:38 PM
Does complex thought elude you? How about remembering what you previously posted?

You are using Jesus Christ as the justification for whatever it is you think about the Golden Rule. This isn't hard math:rolleyes:

Not to mention in my previous post I presented you with reasoning for applying it to all.

Im saying the golden rule is innately rational and that drew me toward christianity.

the golden rule justifies itself, as can be corroborated by other historical moral figures, as you have noted.

Gunny
09-03-2023, 12:51 PM
Im saying the golden rule is innately rational and that drew me toward christianity.

the golden rule justifies itself, as can be corroborated by other historical moral figures, as you have noted.Your original arguments on this topic stated nothing of the sort.

You are fortunate this board is not a court of law. Nice to see you learned something from me (sort of). Plagiarist:rolleyes:

Gunny
09-03-2023, 01:22 PM
So now that "you" have established the Golden Rule as an ethical idea that would benefit all, how do you apply it to the reality of Mankind?

You wish to impose ethics as universal law (no globalism there:rolleyes:)? How would you go about this?

AHZ
09-03-2023, 01:31 PM
Your original arguments on this topic stated nothing of the sort.

You are fortunate this board is not a court of law. Nice to see you learned something from me (sort of). Plagiarist:rolleyes:

I believe they did.

The title of one thread was "morality is rational" the one you closed, which was the best thread in that forum.

AHZ
09-03-2023, 01:32 PM
So now that "you" have established the Golden Rule as an ethical idea that would benefit all, how do you apply it to the reality of Mankind?

You wish to impose ethics as universal law (no globalism there:rolleyes:)? How would you go about this?
morality starts at home, in every interaction.

I don't wish to impose anything.

I've only stated fact; morality is rational.

Gunny
09-03-2023, 01:37 PM
morality starts at home, in every interaction.

I don't wish to impose anything.

I've only stated fact; morality is rational.I'm not doing this circle jerk with you again. You may not have a life, but I do. It doesn't include arguing with stupid people who can't learn even the simplest crap. Like English:rolleyes:

fj1200
09-03-2023, 01:45 PM

Those are two different things. The golden rule is not the basis for law but it could be a basis for morality.

So could this.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi5.walmartimages.com%2Fasr%2F0975 0cfe-6064-4533-97d2-faf6df3ee2fc_1.fdd62f30ab9ccc51b5b3e69be967b857.jp eg%3FodnWidth%3D1000%26odnHeight%3D1000%26odnBg%3D ffffff&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e4b52b3118915f591e221850f3bd476246a228b2eb994c dea1d395bc976a6055&ipo=images

AHZ
09-03-2023, 01:46 PM
I'm not doing this circle jerk with you again. You may not have a life, but I do. It doesn't include arguing with stupid people who can't learn even the simplest crap. Like English:rolleyes:
Im not sorry that morality is rational.

AHZ
09-03-2023, 01:49 PM
Those are two different things. The golden rule is not the basis for law but it could be a basis for morality.

So could this.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi5.walmartimages.com%2Fasr%2F0975 0cfe-6064-4533-97d2-faf6df3ee2fc_1.fdd62f30ab9ccc51b5b3e69be967b857.jp eg%3FodnWidth%3D1000%26odnHeight%3D1000%26odnBg%3D ffffff&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e4b52b3118915f591e221850f3bd476246a228b2eb994c dea1d395bc976a6055&ipo=images

morality is a basis for law.

say that three times fast. acclimate yourself to the truth of it.

fj1200
09-03-2023, 01:54 PM
morality is a basis for law.

say that three times fast. acclimate yourself to the truth of it.

You can't legislate morality.

AHZ
09-03-2023, 02:44 PM

all laws are an attempt at that.

you're severely out of touch with humanity.

fj1200
09-03-2023, 02:54 PM
all laws are an attempt at that.

you're severely out of touch with humanity.

They may attempt, but that doesn't mean it can be done. You can't legislate "do unto others..."

icansayit
09-03-2023, 02:57 PM

The Democrats, DNC, Congress, and Biden White House
are trying to Legislate Morality by ignoring laws every day.
YOU should be telling THEM, not we members of D.P.

DO UNTO OTHERS for Democrats is....ONLY WHAT WE TELL YOU TO DO!

AHZ
09-03-2023, 05:57 PM
They may attempt, but that doesn't mean it can be done. You can't legislate "do unto others..."

it's a basis. not a fully formed legal system.

of course details will be filled in.

you basically can use it to legislate truth be told.

do you want to be murdered?

stolen from?

exploited? oh theres the rub isn't it. corporatists want to exploit and treat poorly, maximizing profit above all else.

business is not a moral framework. Business must occur inside an overarching moral framework that takes other considerations into consideration.

what are laws if not an attempt to legislate some form of morality?

fj1200
09-04-2023, 05:00 PM

stolen from?

exploited? oh theres the rub isn't it. corporatists want to exploit and treat poorly, maximizing profit above all else.

business is not a moral framework. Business must occur inside an overarching moral framework that takes other considerations into consideration.

Gunny
09-04-2023, 05:55 PM

stolen from?

Next thing you know you end up with a government based on your warped sense of morality. Be serious. If you truly believed in following the Golden Rule you wouldn't be insulting people and/or hijacking threads that promote actual discussion. Nothing about you makes me think Golden Rule anything except where I haven't banned you for eternity.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 02:50 AM

maybe not fully.

but all laws are an attempt at legislating enough basic morality to have a peaceful and productive society conducive to human thriving.

are you an anarchist?

what are laws if not legislating a basic morality?

Crazy nonsensical rantings from an arbitrary overlord that must be obeyed for no comprehensible reason?

sounds like a retard society.

keep austin weird. <--- I support this one.

keep morality arbitrary.

keep religion crazy.

the separation of church and state is not intended to be a separation of humanity from morality, morality being rational.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 04:14 AM
Next thing you know you end up with a government based on your warped sense of morality. Be serious. If you truly believed in following the Golden Rule you wouldn't be insulting people and/or hijacking threads that promote actual discussion. Nothing about you makes me think Golden Rule anything except where I haven't banned you for eternity.

i would want to be told I've become evil and confused.

Kathianne
09-05-2023, 04:58 AM
maybe not fully.

but all laws are an attempt at legislating enough basic morality to have a peaceful and productive society conducive to human thriving.

are you an anarchist?

Crazy nonsensical rantings from an arbitrary overlord that must be obeyed for no comprehensible reason?

keep morality arbitrary.

keep religion crazy.

the separation of church and state is not intended to be a separation of humanity from morality, morality being rational.

More and more you are sounded Satanic with choas surround and communism bits thrown in.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 05:17 AM
More and more you are sounded Satanic with choas surround and communism bits thrown in.

where did I sounded satanic?

Kathianne
09-05-2023, 05:22 AM
where did I sounded satanic?
Been done, you look for it.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 05:30 AM
Been done, you look for it.

no it hasn't.

fj1200
09-05-2023, 07:10 AM
maybe not fully.

are you an anarchist?

keep morality arbitrary.

keep religion crazy.

Laws based on morality are subjective. Laws based on violation of rights are objective.

Anarchist is another word you probably don't know the definition of.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 09:14 AM
Laws based on morality are subjective. Laws based on violation of rights are objective.

Anarchist is another word you probably don't know the definition of.

it's a moral exercize to codify the rights and protect them legally.

we had to decide what rights are first. that's where using moral guidances comes into play.

fj1200
09-05-2023, 09:48 AM
it's a moral exercize to codify the rights and protect them legally.

we had to decide what rights are first. that's where using moral guidances comes into play.

Life, liberty, property doesn't require a subjective view of morality.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Life, liberty, property doesn't require a subjective view of morality.

right.

they require a rational one. morality is rational.

fj1200
09-05-2023, 11:51 AM
right.

they require a rational one. morality is rational.

You're stuck in a loop.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 01:11 PM
You're stuck in a loop.

no i'm not.

you can't accept the rationality of basic morality because the war machine needs constant "might makes right" ideology to keep the world violent.

fj1200
09-05-2023, 01:41 PM
no i'm not.

you can't accept the rationality of basic morality because the war machine needs constant "might makes right" ideology to keep the world violent.

That is word salad. Really the drugs you did earlier in life, or is it earlier today, did you no good.

I'll stipulate morality is rational. Whose morality?

Gunny
09-05-2023, 01:49 PM
That is word salad. Really the drugs you did earlier in life, or is it earlier today, did you no good.

I'll stipulate morality is rational. Whose morality?Wasting your time. I walked him through it, provided links/definitions and even got him to post it correctly and he reset back to zero in this thread.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 01:51 PM

I'll stipulate morality is rational. Whose morality?

no it isn't.

all cultures basic morality are similar, morality being rational, and humans being intelligent.

Kathianne
09-05-2023, 01:52 PM
no it isn't.

all cultures basic morality are similar, morality being rational, and humans being intelligent.

Why is there so much crime?

Gunny
09-05-2023, 01:53 PM
no it isn't.

all cultures basic morality are similar, morality being rational, and humans being intelligent.Wrong. Go back to the thread I closed because you were trying to start a religious war on the board and re-read.

Or is it that you just need attention that badly that your are going to have each and every person that will hold your hand and walk you through the English language and political philosophy do so?

AHZ
09-05-2023, 01:55 PM
Why is there so much crime?

many people are a mix of immoral and desperate.

the existence of morality doesn't mean everyone will be moral.

human on human predation is a big problem, one which morality aims to solve.

Kathianne
09-05-2023, 01:57 PM

human on human predation is a big problem, one which morality aims to solve.

So not everyone is rational. Again, whose morality should be imposed?

fj1200
09-05-2023, 01:59 PM
no it isn't.

When you yammer on about the war machine I know, err, feel strongly that it's a drug-induced reply.

Again I ask, whose morality? There have been plenty of examples internationally where various cultures have different feelings about morality. We could probably think of a few domestic examples if we really tried. Abortion for one; whose morality?

Gunny
09-05-2023, 01:59 PM

human on human predation is a big problem, one which morality aims to solve.First questions come to mind :

Whose words are you using? and;

Do you understand them?

You sure do your best to reject them when working at imposing your idea of morality on everyone else. Then, everyone believes as you do:rolleyes:

AHZ
09-05-2023, 02:09 PM
So not everyone is rational. Again, whose morality should be imposed?

morality doesnt actually vary that much. that's the point.

generic human morality..

all societies have laws against violence, and theft. there is no decision to make here. human cooperation being obviously best in all human societies.

Kathianne
09-05-2023, 02:12 PM

generic human morality..

all societies have laws against violence, and theft. there is no decision to make here. human cooperation being obviously best in all human societies.

Oh, but it does. Prisons are full and then there are those like Bidens. So many immoral people who'd tell you to stick your damn rule.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 02:14 PM
First questions come to mind :

Whose words are you using? and;

Do you understand them?

You sure do your best to reject them when working at imposing your idea of morality on everyone else. Then, everyone believes as you do:rolleyes:

do you have an argument?

something besides unwarranted snobbery?

Gunny
09-05-2023, 02:17 PM

generic human morality..

all societies have laws against violence, and theft. there is no decision to make here. human cooperation being obviously best in all human societies.No such thing.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 02:19 PM
No such thing.

all societies have laws against violence, theft, fraud.....

that's a real fact.

Gunny
09-05-2023, 02:22 PM
do you have an argument?

something besides unwarranted snobbery?So "You". YOU have no argument so you just pull this kind of irrelevant, out of left field crap out your backside. Sure sign you've lost.

Don't worry though because I have faith in you to turn right around and re-start the same damned wrong argument again. You don't even bother to start a new one pretending this one doesn't exist like most leftards do. You'll just post something stupid and irrelevant next post as if your last never existed.

Not hard to figure out the MO of a one-trick pony:rolleyes:

AHZ
09-05-2023, 02:24 PM
So "You". YOU have no argument so you just pull this kind of irrelevant, out of left field crap out your backside. Sure sign you've lost.

Don't worry though because I have faith in you to turn right around and re-start the same damned wrong argument again. You don't even bother to start a new one pretending this one doesn't exist like most leftards do. You'll just post something stupid and irrelevant next post as if your last never existed.

Not hard to figure out the MO of a one-trick pony:rolleyes:

My initial argument has not been defeated.

I don't deviate from strategy when i'm winning.

and you don't do it when you're losing! :dance::laugh2:

Gunny
09-05-2023, 02:28 PM
My initial argument has not been defeated.

I don't deviate from strategy when i'm winning.

and you don't do it when you're losing! :dance::laugh2:This is the second thread you and your argument have been buried in. You are completely uneducated on the topic but have convinced yourself otherwise. While ignorant people learn, stupid people like you learn nothing.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 02:33 PM
This is the second thread you and your argument have been buried in. You are completely uneducated on the topic but have convinced yourself otherwise. While ignorant people learn, stupid people like you learn nothing.

I disagree with your entire appraisal of the thread.

your unwarranted snobbery is also insufficient to defeat me.

AHZ
09-05-2023, 02:33 PM
The military industrial complex can't afford an outbreak of peace and morality.

:clap::dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:

This is the core of evil on earth.

Gunny
09-05-2023, 04:55 PM
The military industrial complex can't afford an outbreak of peace and morality.

:clap::dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:

This is the core of evil on earth.

You're running out of threads to get closed or banned from.