PDA

View Full Version : Ken Paxton: Why Republicans are impeaching a Trump ally in Texas

Gunny
09-06-2023, 05:26 PM
While Bannon tries to make this about Trump it is not. Paxton is as corrupt as Biden. This about the law. That he is a Trump supporter is coincidental.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66722742

Kathianne
09-17-2023, 11:30 PM
While Bannon tries to make this about Trump it is not. Paxton is as corrupt as Biden. This about the law. That he is a Trump supporter is coincidental.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66722742

I didn't understand this, though I remembered you saying that he was as corrupt as Biden, which is a big fing deal! Then the other day I hear he was exonerated, terrific lawyers, it was a vendetta...

Today I saw this, https://www.wsj.com/articles/dan-patrick-saves-ken-paxton-impeachment-texas-gop-senate-dd04c809?st=rtvtiv0p4p11nob&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink , which pretty much mirrors what you said at beginning of the month.

OPINIONREVIEW & OUTLOOK
Why Ken Paxton Was Acquitted
Texas Republicans in Austin risk becoming the Albany Democrats.
By The Editorial Board
Sept. 17, 2023 4:16 pm ET

One-party dominance in a democracy means the main political debates occur in the ruling party, including personal political feuds. That explains the overwhelming decision by Republicans in the Texas state Senate on Saturday to acquit Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on 16 articles of impeachment filed by the Republican Texas House.

Mr. Paxton’s defenders are spinning that he was saved by a populist national conservative groundswell to put an end to the “Bush era” in Texas. What a joke. There is no longer a Bush era in Texas or anywhere else. George P. Bush, Jeb Bush’s son, lost to Mr. Paxton in the 2022 primary for AG.

What really happened Saturday is that Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who runs the state Senate, chose to rescue Mr. Paxton in a rebuke to his rival, House Speaker Dade Phelan. All politics is very local here.

Mr. Patrick also went on the attack against Mr. Phelan, calling for “a full audit of all taxpayer money spent by the House from the beginning of their investigation in March to today.” It’s revealing that Mr. Patrick’s statement dealt entirely with the impeachment process, not with Mr. Paxton’s behavior.

The Texas House impeachment did happen relatively fast, but it came after months of investigation and with compelling evidence. Mr. Paxton triggered the probe by seeking $3.3 million from the Legislature to settle a lawsuit brought by whistleblowers on his staff alarmed by Mr. Paxton’s dealings with real-estate developer and campaign donor Nate Paul. The House voted 121-23 in favor of impeachment, with 60 Republicans in the majority.

The acquittal is perhaps a satisfying victory for Mr. Patrick over his House rival, but it may not play out so well for Texas Republicans in the longer run. A federal investigation into Mr. Paxton is continuing amid reports that a grand jury has been empaneled.

fj1200
09-18-2023, 10:53 AM
I didn't understand this, though I remembered you saying that he was as corrupt as Biden, which is a big fing deal! Then the other day I hear he was exonerated, terrific lawyers, it was a vendetta...

Today I saw this, https://www.wsj.com/articles/dan-patrick-saves-ken-paxton-impeachment-texas-gop-senate-dd04c809?st=rtvtiv0p4p11nob&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink , which pretty much mirrors what you said at beginning of the month.

populist national conservative

Some of those words don't go together. But I guess "conservatives" can ignore wrongdoing as well.

Kathianne
09-18-2023, 10:54 AM
Some of those words don't go together. But I guess "conservatives" can ignore wrongdoing as well.

Trump claims to be conservative. It's a lie, always has been.

AHZ
09-18-2023, 10:58 AM

conservative doesn't mean elitist.

AHZ
09-18-2023, 10:58 AM
Trump claims to be conservative. It's a lie, always has been.
conservative doesn't mean globalist extremist.

Gunny
09-18-2023, 01:06 PM

He claims it's vendetta. Still has nothing to do with his affiliation with Trump as far as I know. He's still under investigation. The FBI is investigating and I don't know who else. IIRC, he's still got 4 accusations to face, all appearing to fit into the graft/corruption category.

My first thought was he must be WAY over the top for the State Republicans to go after him. There is some division amongst them (state-wide) and IMO, they're kinda petty about crap. My other immediate thought is that he pissed off some of the good ol' boys. Could not get 2/3 to impeach him.

For some reason, local MSM hasn't been hot on the topic.

fj1200
09-18-2023, 03:24 PM
conservative doesn't mean elitist.

conservative doesn't mean globalist extremist.

Wow, you got a couple of things right. Conservative also doesn't mean populist.

fj1200
09-18-2023, 03:26 PM
He claims it's vendetta. Still has nothing to do with his affiliation with Trump as far as I know. He's still under investigation. The FBI is investigating and I don't know who else. IIRC, he's still got 4 accusations to face, all appearing to fit into the graft/corruption category.

My first thought was he must be WAY over the top for the State Republicans to go after him. There is some division amongst them (state-wide) and IMO, they're kinda petty about crap. My other immediate thought is that he pissed off some of the good ol' boys. Could not get 2/3 to impeach him.

For some reason, local MSM hasn't been hot on the topic.

No, just a trump supporter which gives him some sort of mantle to claim "witch hunt." He probably should have been convicted.

Gunny
09-18-2023, 06:26 PM
No, just a trump supporter which gives him some sort of mantle to claim "witch hunt." He probably should have been convicted.I would have to know more. Like I said, for some reason this hasn't been a story around here. I've learned more from the National news.

Gunny
09-18-2023, 06:55 PM
He was acquitted of bribery and corruption charges.

He still faces State securities fraud charges.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66834702