PDA

View Full Version : WTH Is With Biden And Student Loan Forgiveness?

Kathianne
09-06-2023, 07:56 PM
He just won't stop. I just was talking to my son a few days ago, we were talking about his expected bonus coming in a few months. This kid works really hard, but he did get lucky getting a job with high end liquor distributor doing logistics. He's been with them for 5 years now, had 4 promotions, but this year moved into management just after Thanksgiving, thus this will be his first year with bonus.

His brother is doing great, they both finished their college degrees and first jobs out were for a bank. (This son majored in criminology, but realized he did not want to go into police or law. Other son majored in economics-has MS.) Both stayed for more than a year, older one longer moving into investments. This son went to a small food distributor learning logistics. Older son ended up following him there, both left around the same time. The younger with the liquor distributor, older with food distributor, Sexton.

Like I said, luck plays a part. They basically have about the same job with like responsibilities, but the liquor one is paying way more than either thought possible. Needless to say, the older one would go in a minute, but it's a 'small' company.

Probably too much info there, but it's related to the story. Both my boys, (and their sister), went to state universities. Either could have gone to private schools, they had partial scholarships for state universities and would have qualified for more with private, but wanted to keep debt down. They had to pay most of it themselves-I'd buy books when needed, send a few bucks now and again, but didn't have the money to do more. Their dad just didn't.

So, youngest got RA position his sophomore year-paid room and board and small stipend. That also qualified him for on campus part-time job which he took. Jr year he worked internship that paid him small amount, but that was on top of the RA+. He finished in 4 years with less than $4k in loans. Older son went for 5 years, but got BS and MS. He worked a mix of full time and part time. Finished with less than $9k debt. (Room and board are killer!) Both still have friends from college they see often and vacation with. They had fun, but not super expensive fun. Both did join fraternities-but chose to live in dorm or in apartments with others.

Both paid off their loans within a year or two of graduating. Oldest son's wife pretty much like him with school and her dad paid for school. No debt. Not so the youngest, he married a Notre Dame Law Grad. Over $250k in loans. Works for a non-profit, just over $100k per year-which is pretty ridiculous considering the degree! Her choice though. Last year my son said about $20k was forgiven by government-because of working in DV. That was it, most of the loans were through banks, not government.

Again, luck with the bonus thing-son figures he's knocked her loans down to under $100k over the past 5 years and the bonus looks like it's going to get rid of the rest. He did not stop paying loans during Covid-to quote, "That would be asshatery!"

So, lots of what happens even today depends on choices. Choices on schools. Choices on how one goes about college experience and paying for it. Choices after graduating on how to address the debt and jobs to take. And some luck. (How many jobs give you a trip to Ireland to experience Guinness?)

https://hotair.com/tree-hugging-sister/2023/09/06/call-a-waahmbulance-cbs-picks-wrong-ing-student-loan-victim-to-profile-n576180

AHZ
09-07-2023, 07:32 AM
He just won't stop. I just was talking to my son a few days ago, we were talking about his expected bonus coming in a few months. This kid works really hard, but he did get lucky getting a job with high end liquor distributor doing logistics. He's been with them for 5 years now, had 4 promotions, but this year moved into management just after Thanksgiving, thus this will be his first year with bonus.

His brother is doing great, they both finished their college degrees and first jobs out were for a bank. (This son majored in criminology, but realized he did not want to go into police or law. Other son majored in economics-has MS.) Both stayed for more than a year, older one longer moving into investments. This son went to a small food distributor learning logistics. Older son ended up following him there, both left around the same time. The younger with the liquor distributor, older with food distributor, Sexton.

Like I said, luck plays a part. They basically have about the same job with like responsibilities, but the liquor one is paying way more than either thought possible. Needless to say, the older one would go in a minute, but it's a 'small' company.

Probably too much info there, but it's related to the story. Both my boys, (and their sister), went to state universities. Either could have gone to private schools, they had partial scholarships for state universities and would have qualified for more with private, but wanted to keep debt down. They had to pay most of it themselves-I'd buy books when needed, send a few bucks now and again, but didn't have the money to do more. Their dad just didn't.

So, youngest got RA position his sophomore year-paid room and board and small stipend. That also qualified him for on campus part-time job which he took. Jr year he worked internship that paid him small amount, but that was on top of the RA+. He finished in 4 years with less than $4k in loans. Older son went for 5 years, but got BS and MS. He worked a mix of full time and part time. Finished with less than $9k debt. (Room and board are killer!) Both still have friends from college they see often and vacation with. They had fun, but not super expensive fun. Both did join fraternities-but chose to live in dorm or in apartments with others.

Both paid off their loans within a year or two of graduating. Oldest son's wife pretty much like him with school and her dad paid for school. No debt. Not so the youngest, he married a Notre Dame Law Grad. Over $250k in loans. Works for a non-profit, just over $100k per year-which is pretty ridiculous considering the degree! Her choice though. Last year my son said about $20k was forgiven by government-because of working in DV. That was it, most of the loans were through banks, not government.

Again, luck with the bonus thing-son figures he's knocked her loans down to under $100k over the past 5 years and the bonus looks like it's going to get rid of the rest. He did not stop paying loans during Covid-to quote, "That would be asshatery!"

So, lots of what happens even today depends on choices. Choices on schools. Choices on how one goes about college experience and paying for it. Choices after graduating on how to address the debt and jobs to take. And some luck. (How many jobs give you a trip to Ireland to experience Guinness?)

https://hotair.com/tree-hugging-sister/2023/09/06/call-a-waahmbulance-cbs-picks-wrong-ing-student-loan-victim-to-profile-n576180

right.

just more proof poor people really are losers and the system is fair.

fj1200
09-07-2023, 07:37 AM
He just won't stop.

He's just taking any legal excuse to eliminate student loans wherever he can. Some with good rationale and some without likely.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2023, 08:55 AM

All of that shows, that you my good friend, you raised your kids right!!!!
My daughter refused to go to college. Worked her butt off and now at age 34 she half owns 6 thriving dental practices. Doing very well.-Tyr