PDA

View Full Version : This record-setting, hydrogen-fueled plane promises to change air travel forever:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-11-2023, 09:18 AM
https://news.yahoo.com/record-setting-hydrogen-fueled-plane-104500384.html

The Cool Down
This record-setting, hydrogen-fueled plane promises to change air travel forever: ‘Today will go down in the history books’
Ben Stern
Mon, September 11, 2023 at 5:00 AM CDT·2 min read

In early 2023, the company ZeroAvia announced that its 19-seater jet had completed a flight using nothing but green hydrogen — a fuel that produces no harmful carbon pollution and is made with clean energy.

At that time, the flight was the largest ever for an aircraft powered only by a hydrogen-electric engine. But about a month and a half later, on March 2, the aerospace company Universal Hydrogen completed an even larger test flight.

This plane (nicknamed Lightning McClean) could seat 40 passengers. Universal Hydrogen aims to complete commercial flights, through a partnership with Connect Airlines, within the next three years.
In a press release after the historic test flight, John Thomas, the CEO of Connect Airlines, was quick to celebrate the significance of the milestone.

“Today will go down in the history books as the true start to the decarbonization of the global airline industry,” Thomas said. “We at Connect Airlines are extremely proud of the role that we, as the first U.S. operator, will play in leading the way with Universal Hydrogen,” Thomas wrote. “We have committed to being North America’s first zero-emission airline.”

But the company won’t be without competitors in this effort. Rolls-Royce, Airbus, and ZeroAvia are all testing out jets with engines that can use hydrogen fuel.

And considering the fact that the airline industry is an extremely fast-growing source of harmful carbon pollution, this competition is surely a good thing. Soon, the world’s planes may be running on clean, hyper-efficient hydrogen fuel instead of the dirty energy sources that passenger flights use today.

Join our free newsletter for weekly updates on the coolest innovations improving our lives and saving our planet.\

I predict that in ten to fifteen years over half the planes wll run on hydrogen.--Tyr

Kathianne
09-11-2023, 09:31 AM
\

I predict that in ten to fifteen years over half the planes wll run on hydrogen.--Tyr

I believe that alternatives to fossil fuels will be found and perfected. Hydrogen certainly seems one of the more likely today, but time will tell. First we need government to get out of the way with its mandates and preferential choosing of industries.

AHZ
09-11-2023, 09:56 AM
I believe that alternatives to fossil fuels will be found and perfected. Hydrogen certainly seems one of the more likely today, but time will tell. First we need government to get out of the way with its mandates and preferential choosing of industries.

do you think any companies have a hand in getting these malinvestments going?

fj1200
09-11-2023, 01:20 PM
Has a hydrogen mine been found?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-11-2023, 02:03 PM
Has a hydrogen mine been found?
Yep, a mighty big one= they call it the ocean....-;)--Tyr

see below---

Bloom Energy has begun generating hydrogen from the world’s largest solid oxide electrolyzer installation at NASA’s Ames Research Center, the historic Moffett Field research facility in Mountain View, Calif. This high-temperature, high-efficiency unit produces 20-25% more hydrogen per megawatt (MW) than commercially demonstrated lower temperature electrolyzers such as proton electrolyte membrane (PEM) or alkaline.

This electrolyzer demonstration showcases the maturity, efficiency and commercial readiness of Bloom’s solid oxide technology for large-scale, clean hydrogen production. The 4 MW Bloom Electrolyzer™, delivering the equivalent of over 2.4 metric tonnes per day of hydrogen output, was built, installed and operationalized in a span of two months to demonstrate the speed and ease of deployment.

Hydrogen Electrolyzers for a Clean Energy Future
Hydrogen is critically important to decarbonize the energy economy. Solid oxide electrolysis reduces the cost to produce hydrogen fuel.

Efficiency is Critical to Achieve Decarbonization Targets
The cost to produce hydrogen fuel via electrolysis is driven primarily by a single variable: the cost of electricity. Because electricity costs have the biggest impact on the financial viability of clean hydrogen, it is imperative that hydrogen electrolyzers consume as little electricity as possible. Researchers at Idaho National Laboratory (INL) have been conducting a variety of tests on Bloom Energy’s solid oxide electrolyzer at the Dynamic Energy Testing and Integration Laboratory.

Running at high temperatures and high availability, the pilot results reveal the Bloom Electrolyzer is producing hydrogen at 37.7 kWh per kilogram of hydrogen. Alternative electrolyzer technologies, such as PEM or Alkaline, consume as much as 52 – 54 kWh per kilogram of hydrogen produced.

Learn more about the impact of efficiency on system economics by contacting us.

fj1200
09-11-2023, 02:17 PM
Yep, a mighty big one= they call it the ocean....-;)--Tyr

see below---

Efficiency is Critical to Achieve Decarbonization Targets
The cost to produce hydrogen fuel via electrolysis is driven primarily by a single variable: the cost of electricity. Because electricity costs have the biggest impact on the financial viability of clean hydrogen, it is imperative that hydrogen electrolyzers consume as little electricity as possible. Researchers at Idaho National Laboratory (INL) have been conducting a variety of tests on Bloom Energy’s solid oxide electrolyzer at the Dynamic Energy Testing and Integration Laboratory.

Running at high temperatures and high availability, the pilot results reveal the Bloom Electrolyzer is producing hydrogen at 37.7 kWh per kilogram of hydrogen. Alternative electrolyzer technologies, such as PEM or Alkaline, consume as much as 52 – 54 kWh per kilogram of hydrogen produced.

Any info on how many kWh in to get 1 kWh out?

My searching is not up to par today. Like my golf. :(

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-11-2023, 02:35 PM
Any info on how many kWh in to get 1 kWh out?

My searching is not up to par today. Like my golf. :(

A 37 to 1 ratio==

Running at high temperatures and high availability, the pilot results reveal the Bloom Electrolyzer is producing hydrogen at 37.7 kWh per kilogram of hydrogen.

Apparently the ratio is high enough for them to get excited about. --Tyr

fj1200
09-11-2023, 02:43 PM
A 37 to 1 ratio==

Apparently the ratio is high enough for them to get excited about. --Tyr

I don't think that's what it says but I'm no expert. I'd be shocked if it's economically feasible at this point. I'd guess that it's the same problem with fusion, more energy in than comes out. But technology moves forward. :salute:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-11-2023, 05:37 PM
I don't think that's what it says but I'm no expert. I'd be shocked if it's economically feasible at this point. I'd guess that it's the same problem with fusion, more energy in than comes out. But technology moves forward. :salute:

Maybe but it will be in the future is my best guess...-Tyr

Kathianne
09-11-2023, 05:43 PM

Exactly. Which is why the superinvestment by governments is so wrong. Wrong in getting ahead of even the stated technology, but overinvestment in techs that may well prove to be failures at worst; supplemental at best to what may be developed.

fj1200
09-12-2023, 08:34 AM
Maybe but it will be in the future is my best guess...-Tyr

We'll see but if I'm not mistaken they got 37.4 kWh out of a kilogram of seawater but they didn't say how many kWh it took to get that 37.4. And I think they're spending biden money to try and get there along with airlines tossing in money to show that they're "reaching for net zero."

But beyond the need to use energy to create an energy source a big problem I see is the weight of hydrogen tanks that they'll need to lift into the sky to power the thing. Airliners would be a tough go but more feasible would be the short-hop type aircraft IMO.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-12-2023, 09:15 AM
We'll see but if I'm not mistaken they got 37.4 kWh out of a kilogram of seawater but they didn't say how many kWh it took to get that 37.4. And I think they're spending biden money to try and get there along with airlines tossing in money to show that they're "reaching for net zero."

But beyond the need to use energy to create an energy source a big problem I see is the weight of hydrogen tanks that they'll need to lift into the sky to power the thing. Airliners would be a tough go but more feasible would be the short-hop type aircraft IMO.

For the money they will shoot for larger capacity airliners. And my guess is they will find a way to make that happen. Remember money, money, money..-Tyr

AHZ
09-12-2023, 09:52 AM
Exactly. Which is why the superinvestment by governments is so wrong. Wrong in getting ahead of even the stated technology, but overinvestment in techs that may well prove to be failures at worst; supplemental at best to what may be developed.

you can use my word. the word is "malinvestment".