PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices Could Decide Election

Kathianne
09-24-2023, 11:34 AM
Cheapest gas here is $4.48 gal. Yesterday went to Tucson Trader Joe's and stopped at their Speedway. $4.15 and that was enough to make me smile. Not a joke, we've had days in past 3 weeks where gas went up .40 overnight. Then goes down .08 the next, then up .10. To where it is now.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/22/why-biden-will-lose-if-gas-prices-keep-rising-as-they-seem-set-to-do/

Why Biden will lose if gas prices keep rising — as they seem set to doBy Philip Pilkington
Published Sep. 22, 2023, 3:02 p.m. ET

Back on Nov. 21, 2018, just two weeks after the midterm elections, then-President Donald Trump celebrated recent declines in the global oil price with a tweet, ending with: “Thank you to Saudi Arabia, but let’s go lower.”

About six weeks earlier, the West Texas Intermediate oil price had peaked at $76.40 per barrel.

By Nov. 6, when American voters took to the polls, it was at $61.69 — a fall of around 24% in only a month.

Gas prices at the pump had dipped, too. In the second week of October, they’d peaked at around $2.90 per gallon.

On Election Day, they were down to $2.75 per gallon — and by January 2019, $2.24.

The Saudis had done Trump a favor: They’d agreed to pump more oil around the same time as the midterms and drive down the price of gas.

In return, Trump praised them at a time when they were under attack by the press for the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi Embassy in Turkey.

President Joe Biden.
Some critics believe that the US-Saudi relationship soured when President Biden took office.

In any case, the relationship between Saudi Arabia and the White House now is in far worse shape than when Trump was president.

The Biden administration blamed the Saudis for Khashoggi’s murder and shunned the kingdom when the current president took office. Looks like the Saudis haven’t forgotten.

Prices are already starting to rise: In late August, the West Texas Intermediary price stood at around $80 a barrel; on Monday, it had risen to over $91 a barrel.

Gas prices are starting to march up, too. In December, the average was $3.09 a gallon; today it’s $3.88.

Expect gas prices to keep climbing as the Saudis and Russians squeeze markets.

This isn’t good news for Biden. Gas prices are a hot-button issue in any election, but with inflation having eroded living standards and raised costs for households, any further jump in gas prices will be particularly painful.

Presidents who’ve overseen energy price hikes haven’t fared well.

Ronald Reagan was first elected after the Carter administration ruled over sky-high energy prices.

When the 1980 election took place, the price of oil had risen 136% from where it was in early 1979. The American public widely viewed the Democrats as having mismanaged energy.

In 1984, Team Reagan saw prices fall around 9% in the weeks running up to the election. The result was a landslide victory in which Reagan won 49 states.

Voters associated falling energy prices with Republicans, and Bush won 40 states.

President Bill Clinton gave voters a 5% fall in oil prices in 1996; they gave him 31 states.

In the run-up to the 2004 election, the George W. Bush administration presided over a 9% plunge in oil prices and also took 31 states.

Finally, President Barack Obama delivered an 18% oil price drop in 2012 and won 26 states.

In only two elections did the incumbent party preside over a fall in energy prices and still lose: the 1992 race between Bush Sr. and Clinton, and the 2016 square-off pitting Hillary Clinton against Trump.

Bill Clinton’s election took place while voters still remembered the 1990-91 recession under the elder Bush, and Trump was a total wild card.

With the Saudis now unwilling to play ball, the only thing that could drive oil prices down is a recession.

But the single best predictor of presidential elections is a recession: In the four elections that have taken place during or shortly after a recession, every single incumbent or his party lost.

Biden seems to be between a rock and a hard place.

comment.
Rising oil prices are a strong predictor of him losing; the odds of that based on history are around 71%.

And the only thing that can lower those prices — a recession — will also almost surely mean his defeat.

Joe had better get pumping.

Black Diamond
09-24-2023, 11:55 AM
He better bring in Sarah Palin to fix it :cool:

$5.50 here at the chevron i saw . You wouldn't believe the lines at Costco for fuel this year. I'm hoping when I go there next time it's under $5.

Kathianne
09-24-2023, 11:57 AM
He better bring in Sarah Palin to fix it :cool:

$5.50 here at the chevron i saw . You wouldn't believe the lines at Costco for fuel this year. I'm hoping when I go there next time it's under $5.

You're in NV right? Phoenix prices are like that too. CA has some over $8 again. It's taxes!

Gunny
09-24-2023, 12:07 PM
Cheapest gas here is $4.48 gal. Yesterday went to Tucson Trader Joe's and stopped at their Speedway. $4.15 and that was enough to make me smile. Not a joke, we've had days in past 3 weeks where gas went up .40 overnight. Then goes down .08 the next, then up .10. To where it is now.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/22/why-biden-will-lose-if-gas-prices-keep-rising-as-they-seem-set-to-do/

I read where the Saudi Crown Prince is claiming he's keeping prices where they are to basically stabilize HIS economy and maximize profit. Can't blame him for that. If you look at what the Saudi's are doing around the World lately, they're blowing a lot of money.

Capitalizing on this, Putin has cut oil exports to a lot of countries. For his own reasons of course.

In the meantime, we could be energy independent and exporting oil and screw them both. Apparently Biden doesn't see either as enemy enough to forego his stupid plans and deal them both a blow. Was it not for Biden & cronies, countries would not have to go to Russia and Saudi Arabia for oil.

But hey, we're all about supporting democracies around the World, right?:rolleyes:

Black Diamond
09-24-2023, 12:13 PM
You're in NV right? Phoenix prices are like that too. CA has some over $8 again. It's taxes!

Yes. Looks like the state fuel tax is about 50 cents in addition to the national one.

Kathianne
09-24-2023, 12:15 PM
I read where the Saudi Crown Prince is claiming he's keeping prices where they are to basically stabilize HIS economy and maximize profit. Can't blame him for that. If you look at what the Saudi's are doing around the World lately, they're blowing a lot of money.

Capitalizing on this, Putin has cut oil exports to a lot of countries. For his own reasons of course.

In the meantime, we could be energy independent and exporting oil and screw them both. Apparently Biden doesn't see either as enemy enough to forego his stupid plans and deal them both a blow. Was it not for Biden & cronies, countries would not have to go to Russia and Saudi Arabia for oil.

But hey, we're all about supporting democracies around the World, right?:rolleyes:

Summarized why he may lose election over this. Prices #1, screwing up economy and foreign affairs second.

Black Diamond
09-24-2023, 12:15 PM

Biden like his mentor and his mentor's mentor, hates America. What other explanation is there?

Kathianne
09-24-2023, 12:22 PM
Biden like his mentor and his mentor's mentor, hates America. What other explanation is there?

Mentor's mentor would be Marx?

Black Diamond
09-24-2023, 12:22 PM
Mentor's mentor would be Marx?

I was thinking Jeremiah Wright. But maybe

Gunny
09-24-2023, 12:24 PM
Biden like his mentor and his mentor's mentor, hates America. What other explanation is there?Trying to recreate the US in their own image was my first clue. If they succeed, their followers are due for a lifetime of buyer's remorse.

Black Diamond
09-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Trying to recreate the US in their own image was my first clue. If they succeed, their followers are due for a lifetime of buyer's remorse.

Maybe. Depends on how indoctrinated the followers are. They may think it's worth it in the end.

Gunny
09-24-2023, 01:01 PM
Maybe. Depends on how indoctrinated the followers are. They may think it's worth it in the end.Worse, if it drags out, succeeding generation know nothing else.

I suspect but do not know, there will ALWAYS be an "underground" in this country to spread "poison" (ideas of freedom). It's too big and the police state hides in the cities. That's why they try to keep their sheep penned in them.

Black Diamond
09-24-2023, 01:52 PM
Worse, if it drags out, succeeding generation know nothing else.

I suspect but do not know, there will ALWAYS be an "underground" in this country to spread "poison" (ideas of freedom). It's too big and the police state hides in the cities. That's why they try to keep their sheep penned in them.

Yeah domestic terrorism