PDA

View Full Version : Something May Be Beginning To Happen

Kathianne
09-26-2023, 10:50 PM
First we have Gates really putting a rein on climate crisis. He's not a denier, but is saying the time for extremism is not now and hasn't been and won't be in foreseeable future.

Now businesses, even the woke, are starting to get real about what the riots have done to lawlessness and they are truly awakening that it is not sustainable:

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/09/26/target-will-close-nine-stores-in-san-francisco-oakland-portland-and-seattle-citing-retail-theft-n580709

Target will close nine stores in San Francisco, Oakland, Portland and Seattle citing retail theftJOHN SEXTON 10:40 PM on September 26, 2023

Target will close nine stores in San Francisco, Oakland, Portland and Seattle citing retail theft
AP Photo/George Walker IV, File

Karen just wrote about the continued shut down of CVS stores across the country. As she explained, those closures of up to 900 stores seem to be connected to a general downturn in business stemming from the pandemic. At least that’s what they are saying. But this afternoon word is out that Target will also be closing nine stores in areas hard hit by retail theft. The company is specifically citing theft as the reason for the closures.

Target is closing nine stores in major cities across four states, claiming theft and organized retail crime have made the environment unsafe for staff and customers – and unsustainable for business…

“We cannot continue operating these stores because theft and organized retail crime are threatening the safety of our team and guests, and contributing to unsustainable business performance,” Target said in a statement. “We know that our stores serve an important role in their communities, but we can only be successful if the working and shopping environment is safe for all.”…

The stores Target plans to close will shut their doors on October 21. The stores include the East Harlem location in New York City, two locations in Seattle, three locations in Portland, and three locations in San Francisco and Oakland…

“Target, Kroger and Costco are the best in the country when it comes to investments in store security. So when Target calls out crime and says it’s closing stores because of it, it’s a blow to the community,” said Burt Flickinger, retail expert and managing director of retail consultancy Strategic Resource Group.

CNN Business cites “skeptics” who say Target hasn’t proved retail theft is the reason the stores are closing. But it’s not a coincidence that Target is closing stores in the same areas where retail theft is thriving, i.e. San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, Seattle and New York City.

Just today the National Retail Federation released the results of its latest survey showing theft was indeed up last year compared to 2021:

“Retailers are seeing unprecedented levels of theft coupled with rampant crime in their stores, and the situation is only becoming more dire,” David Johnston, NRF’s vice president for asset protection and retail operations, said in a statement.

The annual survey by the trade group collected insights from 177 retail brands across 28 different retail sectors — including apparel, jewelry, grocery, and department stores — and accounted for more than 97,000 retail locations and $1.6 trillion in annual retail sales.

Shrink — a measurement of lost inventory — for total retail sales in 2022 reached $112.1 billion, up from $93.9 billion in losses in 2021, according to the survey.

It’s worth noting that when retail sales go up, as they did in 2022, shrink also tends to rise. The average shrink rate in the 2022 fiscal year was 1.6%, up from 1.4% the year before. The latest figure is in line with shrink rates from 2019 and 2020.

So if shrink was the same percentage in 2022 as it was in 2019, why are retailers complaining? Because managers and workers are seeing more violence associated with it now than previously:

Although the rate of shrink remains similar to what it was in 2019 and 2020, some retailers are saying they find theft a greater cause for concern. This year, two-thirds of respondents said they were seeing even more violence and aggression from those participating in organized retail crime.

In May, Michael Fiddelke, Target’s chief financial officer, said that if the shrink trend continued, the retail chain would lose $500 million in profit. The company has also been spending more on security, including using third-party guard services.

Some unions that represent retail workers have said store workers have faced more instances of unruly customers and various acts of crime, including assaults, on the job since the start of the pandemic.

What goes unspoken in all of these stories is that there is opposition to what these retailers (not just Target) are saying for a couple of reasons that seem transparently political. First, it plays into an ongoing argument on the right that there is a safety and livability problem in blue cities, especially those on the west coast. Progressives who inhabit these cities would rather discount that than admit it. Second, we are in the midst of a presidential campaign in which the Democrat is trying to run on “Bidenomics.” Obviously closing stores and tales of retail theft don’t jibe well with that argument.

Ultimately, the truth is what it is and I think there’s more than enough evidence from Portland, Seattle, Oakland and especially San Francisco that retail theft is a real problem and not a convenient invention.

https://hotair.com/karen-townsend/2023/09/26/major-drug-store-chain-to-close-900-stores-by-end-of-2024-n580617

Major drug store chain to close 900 stores by end of 2024KAREN TOWNSEND 7:21 PM on September 26, 2023

Major drug store chain to close 900 stores by end of 2024
(AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis, File)
CVS plans to close 900 stores by the end of 2024, which is 10 percent of all its stores. Shoppers have moved to online shopping and the company is making adjustments.

The pandemic taught shoppers about the wonders of online shopping, if they were not already shopping that way. Then when the pandemic eased up and more shoppers left their homes to go to brick and mortar stores, the epidemic of shoplifting in major cities began. Who wants to shop in all that chaos? Who feels safe in a store where lawlessness is allowed to flourish? As long as retailers let the thieves come in and take what they want with impunity, shoppers will have to keep an eye out for potential danger. No thanks.

So, CVS is making some drastic reforms. It’s being described as a total retail overhaul.

CVS claims that ‘local market dynamics, population shifts, and a community’s store density’ are some of the ffactors when deciding which stores to close. Many customers get their prescriptions filled online, receive personal care items through store curbside pickup, and do doctor visits through telehealth. Changes are needed to keep up with its customers.

A spokesman said: ‘Maintaining access to pharmacy services in the communities we serve is an important factor we consider when making store closure decisions.

‘Other factors include local market dynamics, population shifts, a community’s store density, and ensuring there are other geographic access points to meet the needs of the community.’

The CVS CEO made a brief statement when the announcement was released.

CEO Karen Lynch said: ‘Our retail stores are fundamental to our strategy and who we are as a company.

‘We remain focused on the competitive advantage provided by our presence in thousands of communities across the country, which complements our rapidly expanding digital presence.’

Store closings began in November 2021 in order to focus on online growth. Physical locations were expected to close from 2022 as remaining stores transitioned to “health-care destinations” that offer shots and testing.

Three hundred stores closed in 2022. Another 300 stores will close this year and then 300 more will close in 2024.

Times are changing. Pharmacies make money from the health care aspect in conjunction with insurance companies.

The company confirmed that it is pushing to turn more of its stores into healthcare destinations in an attempt to drum up more claims for its insurance business.

It is also working to expand the HealthHub business, despite investigators finding in June that the company failed to provide proper interpretation services for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing during their appointments with medical staff.

The Department of Justice and CVS came to a settlement agreement that requires the company to change its policies.

Stores continue to take a hit from losses created by shoplifting. Products, including personal care items, are locked away behind plexiglass and require the assistance of store clerks to buy toothpaste or deodorant. It’s crazy. It looks like the company is trying to keep the employees it has as the closing happen by giving them an option to continue working for CVS.

Stores catch shoplifters roughly 2 percent of the time, with the average shoplifter being arrested once out of every 100 incidents.

CVS declined to share the specific details of stores that would shutter, but in March closed locations in Des Moines, Iowa, Houston, Missouri, and Tallahassee.

The company acknowledged ‘many factors’ go into the decision to close a store, adding that current employees would have the option to continue working for CVS.

Rival pharmacies Rite Aid and Walgreens are also closing stores. Pandemic mandates destroyed our way of life. These kind of stories remind us how we used to live.

What it looks like:
https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=55953

Kathianne
09-26-2023, 11:10 PM
A reaction to the Glenn Reynolds op-ed in NYT:

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/09/26/has-bill-gates-bailed-out-on-the-climate-crisis-n580626

Has Bill Gates bailed out on the climate crisis?JAZZ SHAW 10:01 PM on September 26, 2023

Has Bill Gates bailed out on the climate crisis?
AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File

At the New York Post this week, the Blogfather, Glenn Reynolds, poses the question, “Has the air gone out of the climate crisis balloon?” He suggests that it’s at least deflating a bit, along with several other panic-inducing liberal themes of the moment. (I would argue that the “gun violence crisis” is still going full steam ahead on the left, but perhaps that’s the exception to the rule.) He points to a few examples where leftists seem to be losing their endless enthusiasm for screaming about climate change and making demands that everyone must sacrifice everything they hold dear to Save The Planet. Greta Thunberg doesn’t seem to be drawing the same rave reviews that she used to routinely enjoy. But perhaps more than anyone else, Instapundit points to Bill Gates, who has recently started saying some things that are very unpopular on the left. And almost nobody from his camp appears to be calling him out over it. It’s just strange.

Bill Gates, however, is pumping the brakes on climate panic.

Speaking at a New York Times event, he observed heavy-handed policies won’t work: “If you try to do climate brute force, you will get people who say, ‘I like climate but I don’t want to bear that cost and reduce my standard of living.’”

As Gates noted, many of these people are in middle-income countries, like China and India, that are the biggest contributors to carbon emissions today and whose emissions (unlike those of the United States) have been growing.

All Bill Gates is doing here is speaking common sense, a practice that is typically verboten in his circles when it comes to climate change, but when you’ve given that much money to leftist causes, I suppose you get a pass. He’s pointing to basic human nature. If you push people too far over a subject they might not fully understand but might sympathize with you over, they’re going to buck sooner or later. He’s also bringing up something we’ve discussed here endlessly. No amount of tweaking of emissions we do here is going to overcome the impact (whatever that may or may not be) of the emissions of “developing” nations like China and India, who do virtually nothing while being among the biggest polluters on the planet.

Gates also went one step further and really burst the crowd’s bubble. He said that “no temperate country is going to become uninhabitable.” That should usually be enough to see you excommunicated from the Church of the Climate Goddess but, again, Gates will likely be given a pass.

I’m one of those people he was talking about who actually does care about the environment and wants to curb actual pollution but haven’t been impressed by the global warming alarmism. It just doesn’t make sense. But then again, maybe a change of one degree in the average global temperature over the next few decades will be exactly what it takes to unleash Godzilla from a volcano under the ocean so he can swim up and start flattening cities. What do I know? I’m not a scientist.

But there are a few things I’m pretty sure about even as a layman. I’m quite confident that removing twelve pizza ovens from restaurants in New York City isn’t going to do a damn thing. I know that if you try to force everyone into electric vehicles they don’t want and can’t afford, you’re going to be voted out of office and you’ll be lucky if that’s the worst thing that happens to you. And if you come around and try to rip out our air conditioning while simultaneously lecturing us about how hot it’s getting, you’ll likely be met with the unpleasant end of a 12-gauge.

I’m not sure what’s gotten into Bill Gates, but perhaps he is the perfect person to let some air out of the balloon that Glenn is speaking of. Why? Perhaps he’s just realizing it makes no sense. Or maybe he didn’t get in on the ground floor of all the green energy technology grants, so he’s not as heavily invested in it (both emotionally and financially) as some of his leftist friends. But my hat is off to him, no matter his motives. We could use a lot more sanity given the current insane condition of the world, and perhaps this is a fair start.

I'm pretty sure I posted about Kendi over at Boston U? On same thread I posted more recently on the reaction from a NYT apologia. The comments, most from blacks were devastating towards him. The nicest things were basically he is a pompous ass that couldn't handle the largesse that fell upon him by whites apologizing for being white. Many blame Kendi and 1619 project and constant race harping on deteriorating relations between whites and blacks. There will come a point where 'we're sorry' is going to stop.

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 08:03 AM
Well at least some arrests were made:

https://pjmedia.com/columns/paula-bolyard/2023/09/26/breaking-widespread-mass-looting-in-philly-video-live-police-scanner-n1730165

https://apnews.com/article/philadelphia-store-mob-thefts-teenagers-f2351d631f691aa081233b1df1bee54d

Gunny
09-27-2023, 08:25 AM
Well at least some arrests were made:

https://pjmedia.com/columns/paula-bolyard/2023/09/26/breaking-widespread-mass-looting-in-philly-video-live-police-scanner-n1730165

https://apnews.com/article/philadelphia-store-mob-thefts-teenagers-f2351d631f691aa081233b1df1bee54d

I fear the backlash. I'm all for law and order but if we do this the way we do everything else swinging 180 from one extreme to the other, it's an excuse for too much police. Would be nice had this been stopped when it first started.

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 08:27 AM
I fear the backlash. I'm all for law and order but if we do this the way we do everything else swinging 180 from one extreme to the other, it's an excuse for too much police. Would be nice had this been stopped when it first started.

Considering the looting and damages, I don't think there were too many arrests. IMO, it's going to take major crackdowns to get the teens to stop. It's the reason that Broken Windows was implemented and worked.

You can always 'ease up,' but when you let crime run wild, very difficult to get it to retreat.

Gunny
09-27-2023, 08:31 AM
Considering the looting and damages, I don't think there were too many arrests. IMO, it's going to take major crackdowns to get the teens to stop. It's the reason that Broken Windows was implemented and worked.

You can always 'ease up,' but when you let crime run wild, very difficult to get it to retreat.Like everything else on the left.

Looks like the only ones really doing anything are the retailers. Messing with their bottom line is reality.

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 08:34 AM
Like everything else on the left.

Looks like the only ones really doing anything are the retailers. Messing with their bottom line is reality.
Yes, then there was Gates. Lots of talk about how DEI has eroded racial gains. Parent involvement in schools shows no signs of waning and that usually indicates involvement in other areas of political influence.

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 02:04 PM
I think I may be late to the party:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-moral-order-is-already-crumbling-climate-europe-immigration-australia-25d21439?st=5wr4jt1925tflf1&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

OPINIONFREE EXPRESSION
The New Moral Order Is Already Crumbling
Globalism, climate-change alarmism and cultural self-annihilation have all come under serious challenge.
Gerard Baker

Sept. 25, 2023 2:16 pm ET

An Italian Coast Guard boat carries migrants near the port of Lampedusa, Sept. 18. PHOTO: CECILIA FABIANO/ASSOCIATED PRESS
The new moral order our secularist elites have been busy constructing since the end of the Cold War is collapsing around them.

Over the past 30 years, the values of Judeo-Christian belief that had inspired and sustained Western civilization and culture for centuries have been steadily replaced in a moral, cultural and political revolution of the postmodern ascendancy. But the contradictions and implausibilities inherent in this successor creed have been increasingly exposed, and its failure to supply the needs of the people is discrediting it in the popular mind.

This new edifice has been built around three principal pillars: First, the ethical primacy of global obligation over national self-interest, in economic and geopolitical terms, but most directly and consequentially in a rejection of the morality of national borders and an embrace of something like open-door immigration. Second, a quasi-biblical belief in climate catastrophism, in which man’s essential energy-consuming sinfulness can be expiated only by massive sacrifice of economic progress. Third, a wholesale cultural self-cancellation in which the virtues, values and historic achievements of traditional civilization are rejected and replaced by a cultural hierarchy that inverts old prejudices and obliges the class of white, male heterosexuals to acknowledge their history of exploitation and submit to comprehensive social and economic reparation.

This fall, throughout the West, on three continents, each of these three pillars is crumbling.

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 02:08 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/marriage-economist-kearney-two-parent-privilege-socioeconomic-mobility-equity-single-mother-divorce-4b499a5e?st=o2xyldbepjjq4tb&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Who'd have thunk...

two parent family gives an advantage to the children. Shocking!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/marriage-economist-kearney-two-parent-privilege-socioeconomic-mobility-equity-single-mother-divorce-4b499a5e?st=o2xyldbepjjq4tb&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

On Marriage, an Economist Bravely States the ObviousMelissa Kearney worried about being pigeonholed as she wrote ‘The Two-Parent Privilege.’
Jason L. Riley
Sept. 26, 2023 6:04 pm ET

Melissa Kearney’s new book, “The Two-Parent Privilege,” is an attempt to explain the importance of marriage to her fellow liberal intellectuals. Sadly, she has her work cut out.

The author is an MIT-trained economist, and as the book jacket explains, she makes “a provocative, data-driven case for marriage by showing how the institution’s decline has led to a host of economic woes—problems that have fractured American society and rendered vulnerable populations even more vulnerable.” Her argument is solid, and she makes it using minimal academic jargon in an impressively brisk 200 pages.

I’m not sure how “provocative” it is, however. When Ms. Kearney writes that “the absence of a father from a child’s home appears to have direct effects on children’s outcomes—and not only because of the loss of parental income,” or that we need to “restore and foster a norm of two-parent homes for children,” it not only makes perfect sense to me but also sounds very familiar. Then again, I’m not the reader she’s targeting. I hardly need convincing that there are strong links between family structure, the well-being of children and outcomes later in life. Daniel Patrick Moynihan said as much in his 1965 report on the black family, and Moynihan relied on research conducted much earlier by black sociologists such as E. Franklin Frazier.

Black Diamond
09-27-2023, 02:09 PM
Does this mean all these leftist heroes are turning into bigots and evil capitalists?

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 02:12 PM
Does this mean all these leftist heroes are turning into bigots and evil capitalists?

I think it means they may be looking at what their extremism has wrought, just as some on the right have been observing in the past years. Look at this editorial:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-think-socialism-is-unpopular-now-660556cb?st=jwr19wyhi13kv2z&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

More on the Kendi NYT commentary, especially from readers...

Black Diamond
09-27-2023, 02:25 PM
I think it means they may be looking at what their extremism has wrought, just as some on the right have been observing in the past years. Look at this editorial:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-think-socialism-is-unpopular-now-660556cb?st=jwr19wyhi13kv2z&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

More on the Kendi NYT commentary, especially from readers...

I rread most of it. Love the picture of bernie. A perfect shot. I'll read some more when I get back from running errands.

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 02:38 PM
San Francisco?

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/09/27/auto-draft-168-n580817

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 02:47 PM
San Francisco?

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/09/27/auto-draft-168-n580817

Basically it looks like some progressives are awakening to the fact that their policies are not meeting the needs of even their progressive constituents, moving towards more accountability.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/27/a-seismic-shift-to-the-right-in-san-francisco-00118391

CALIFORNIA

A seismic shift to the right in San Francisco
The Democratic mayor is proposing the city require all recipients of county-funded welfare to undergo drug screening.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed speaks into a microphone.
“No more anything goes without accountability. No more handouts without accountability,” San Francisco Mayor London Breed said on Tuesday. | Godofredo A. Vásquez/AP Photo

By DUSTIN GARDINER

09/27/2023 01:09 PM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco Mayor London Breed is apparently doubting voters’ progressive mood so much that she’s banking her reelection on a shift to the right.

The Democratic mayor is proposing the city require all recipients of county-funded welfare to undergo drug screening — and treatment, if needed — in order to be eligible for cash assistance.

Breed defended her proposal during a news conference at City Hall, where talked about the need to make subsidies contingent on personal responsibility. Progressive critics were quick to compare her comments to Republican welfare policies.

“No more anything goes without accountability. No more handouts without accountability,” Breed said on Tuesday.

It was a striking moment for the mayor of San Francisco, long an ultra-liberal bastion of Democratic politics. It illustrated how homelessness and fentanyl addiction have frustrated residents and upended political norms. Breed has increasingly leaned into tough-on-crime rhetoric in recent months as she faces a growing field of challengers.

Gunny
09-27-2023, 04:24 PM
Basically it looks like some progressives are awakening to the fact that their policies are not meeting the needs of even their progressive constituents, moving towards more accountability.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/27/a-seismic-shift-to-the-right-in-san-francisco-00118391Amazing what a homeless dude crapping in your front yard can do for your political vision:rolleyes:

Chains moving out. Residents leaving in droves. If they don't do something, there will be nothing left but elites hidden behind their castle walls protected by private security, surrounded by homeless and illegals.

Kathianne
09-27-2023, 05:19 PM
First we have Gates really putting a rein on climate crisis. He's not a denier, but is saying the time for extremism is not now and hasn't been and won't be in foreseeable future.

Now businesses, even the woke, are starting to get real about what the riots have done to lawlessness and they are truly awakening that it is not sustainable:

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/09/26/target-will-close-nine-stores-in-san-francisco-oakland-portland-and-seattle-citing-retail-theft-n580709

https://hotair.com/karen-townsend/2023/09/26/major-drug-store-chain-to-close-900-stores-by-end-of-2024-n580617

What it looks like:
https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=55953

More. Things will change one way or another:

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/09/27/non-petty-theft-112-billion-dollars-n580758

Non-petty theft: 112 billion dollars?JAZZ SHAW 5:21 PM on September 27, 2023

Non-petty theft: 112 billion dollars?
(AP Photo/Felix Marquez)

By this point, everyone has been able to see the results of the epidemic of looting and wholesale retail theft that’s been taking place across the United States. Stores have been emptied out faster than retailers can refill the shelves. Some have been looted so often that they are simply shutting down for good. But exactly how much has been successfully stolen? The National Retail Federation has just completed its annual Retail Security Survey for 2022 and the results are every bit as bad as you probably suspected, if not worse. They tally up what they politely refer to as “inventory shrink” across the country. And the total “shrinkage” added up to a whopping $112.1 billion. But not all of that amount was chalked up to random robbers, which they categorize as “external theft” Some merchandise was stolen by employees while other goods were simply damaged or lost. But that’s still a massive amount of theft taking place. (Business Insider)

Retailers reported losing a record $112.1 billion to inventory shrink in 2022, according to the National Retail Federation’s annual Retail Security Survey, published Tuesday.

External theft was the largest contributing factor to shrink, followed by theft by employees. Combined, the two categories of theft account for roughly two-thirds of total shrink.

In addition, more than two-thirds of respondents said they were seeing higher levels of violence and aggression from retail criminals than in prior years.

Those total losses easily set a new record. The previous record, set in 2021, was $94 billion, $18 billion less than last year. And looking at the daily news cycle this year, we’re probably on track to break that record yet again.

The thieves obviously aren’t slowing down, particularly in the states and cities with lax “justice reform” laws. Just this week looters tore up Philadelphia and hauled off everything that wasn’t nailed down. Los Angeles has begun an attempt to slow down the looting trend using a new retail theft task force, but they’re really only scratching the surface so far. Target is shutting down nine stores on the West Coast citing retail theft as the driving factor.

Target is one of many canaries in the coal mine that we should be paying attention to, along with Walgreens, CVS, and others. This situation is simply unsustainable. None of these businesses have any sort of legal obligation to remain in operation if they can’t produce a profit. If they are robbed too often and for too much, their profits evaporate. Insurance companies then either refuse to offer them coverage or raise their premiums to unaffordable levels. In the end, they have no choice but to close down.

And what happens then? People will have to travel further and further just to find groceries and other products they require. And they’ll be doing it at a time when gas prices are starting to spike again. Trying to have all of your needs met using delivery services is perhaps an option, but those costs will rise further as delivery people need to travel further. And even then you have to hope you’re able to beat the porch pirates.

None of this is happening by accident and the situation could be turned around if the will exists to do so. Ever since the Summer of Love in 2020, municipal governments sent out a message that potential rioters heard loud and clear. You can do whatever you want if you can identify as a “victim” of some sort and there will be no consequences for your actions. But if these permissive laws are all repealed and the police are restored to the point where they can start locking up looters for years on end, people will understand that the free lunch is over. If the impacted cities and states can’t muster the courage to do that, then let them close down and turn into ghost towns. That’s the alternate solution to the looting problem because at that point there won’t be anything left to loot.

Kathianne
09-29-2023, 07:52 PM
Kinda like after looking at cars, suddenly you see 'all the same' models as the one you're looking at:

https://www.commentary.org/abe-greenwald/a-kinder-gentler-dei/?vgo_ee=wnib2hOaW%2FUrNHlnrSQVlNH4dqr2hSUmSOhP%2FY FsirNCJJmB7CD0znbz%3AyGWC0Y%2BdhEWAw2m5qbATLKaqjXr KoGxN

SEPTEMBER 20, 2023 AMERICAN SOCIETYA Kinder, Gentler DEI?
A Kinder, Gentler DEI?
by Abe Greenwald
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion fad is on the ropes. Multitudes of state lawmakers are attempting to limit or ban DEI training at state-funded institutions. And in at least six states, anti-DEI bills have been signed into law. At the same time, conservative legal groups are increasingly taking aim at corporate diversity programs. Amazon and Starbucks both face discrimination lawsuits over their diversity initiatives. Comcast has already settled a suit of its own.

With DEI in ever-worse odor, a psychologist and a sociologist, both of whom specialize in bias and diversity, have taken to the Wall Street Journal to explain what DEI training gets wrong and how to fix it. Mahzarin Banaji and Frank Dobbin write that DEI programs fail because they tend to “shame trainees for holding stereotypes” and “seek to solve the problem of bias by invoking the law to scare people.” As a result, they say, “people often leave diversity training feeling angry and with greater animosity toward other groups.”

So the authors recommend a different approach. First, DEI trainers should introduce their ideas with humility. Second, they should “give managers a way to counter biases—namely, training in strategies for cultural inclusion.” With these fixes in place, they say, “implicit-bias education can alert students to the fact that people committed to equality nonetheless hold biases.”

Perhaps Banaji and Dobbin should consider this: No implicit-bias training will ever work because free adults rightfully resent being “trained” by academics in how to treat other human beings. People leave DEI sessions feeling angry because the very notion of wise and good consultants trying to improve your character at the workplace is infuriating.

Think about the premise of it. Until the office trainers get ahold of you, you’re assumed to be morally defective, unfit for mixed company. (Never mind that the classroom trainers have already had a crack at you.) It’s a sweeping insult. Your parents, your faith, your spouse, your friends, your education, your own introspection and personal exploration—all failures. You need the folks with the quizzes and pamphlets and roleplaying sessions to sort you out and make you a good person.

It would be bad enough if DEI training was aimed strictly at altering your superficial behavior. But, as we see above, the key concept here is “implicit bias.” The trainers are there to introduce you to your inner bigot and show you how to tame him.