PDA

View Full Version : The Daring Book For Girls

Kathianne
10-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I bought the Dangerous Book for Boys for my classroom, looks like it's time for another purchase:

http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2007/10/daring-book-for-girls.html

Saturday, October 13, 2007
The Daring Book for Girls
Well, I received a copy of The Daring Book for Girls, a book inspired by The Dangerous Book for Boys and I must say, I was impressed. I am not sure what I expected, maybe something too girly for my taste, sexist or anti-boy but I found none of my preconceived biases. Instead, I found a book packed with fun adventures and information for girls of all ages.

The book opens with essential gear that girls need: the list includes among other things, a swiss army knife described as a key tool for survival, a bandana to keep your head cool, rope and twine to help learn about knots, a journal, a hair band--great advice for girls with long hair-- duct tape, to fix almost everything, and patience--which is described in the book as a "quality and not a thing, but it's essential so we'll include it here. Forget perfect on the first try. In the face of frustration, your best tool is a few deep breaths, and remembering that you can do anything once you've practiced it two hundred times. Seriously." Good advice for anyone.

Readers can learn how to tie knots, how to do a cartwheel, learn weather signs, and my favorite--how to change a tire. Honestly, this is one that is really important for anyone to know, male or female. The steps in the book are really clear and to the point and it almost makes me believe that I could go out and change my tire right now. Almost, did I ever mention that plumbing and hands-on mechanical skills were some of my lowest scores on an aptitude test in college? Embarrassing but true. I realize this book is geared towards girls and teens, not women my age, but I might be sneaking a look at it every once in a while to help me with such skills as improving my sense of direction, camping skills, and learning to do Japanese t-shirt folding.

Finally, I would like to commend the authors for their excellent advice for how to deal with boys:

... One, if a boy doesn't like you for the way you are, the problem is him, not you. And two, don't try to make a boy change for you--it's important to appreciate people for who they are.

Wherever you fall on the spectrum of how you feel about boys, do treat all your friends, boys and girls with kindness. This has gone out of fashion, and that's a sad mistake.

Overall, the truth is that there's no big mystery about boys. Boys are people, and like all people, they are complicated. And that's what makes being friends with other people interesting: You get to learn about how other people think and act, and, in the process, learn a little bit more about yourself.

Good advice.

Trigg
10-14-2007, 09:47 AM
I bought the Dangerous Book for Boys for my classroom, looks like it's time for another purchase:

http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2007/10/daring-book-for-girls.html

My husband got that book for our boys. They love it, they spent a lot of time learning the knots and the dog commands. Did you read the part about girls in the book??? Pretty cute.

Kathianne
10-14-2007, 09:50 AM
My husband got that book for our boys. They love it, they spent a lot of time learning the knots and the dog commands. Did you read the part about girls in the book??? Pretty cute.

Yes, it's what I liked about the above review, seems pretty much on track with its 'inspiration'. ;)

You only have boys, right? I like books for this age group, that actually acknowledges that there are some 'boy things' and some 'girl things', though they certainly may overlap.

Mr. P
10-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Off topic..K, if Meet the Press is on in your location now Cosby is on today.
Thought you my be interested.

Kathianne
10-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Off topic..K, if Meet the Press is on in your location now Cosby is on today.
Thought you my be interested.
Dang it, I would have enjoyed that. I was doing lesson plans for the past hour or so. Thanks for thinking of me.

Guernicaa
10-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I bet Kathianne has "And Tango Makes Three" in her classroom. :laugh2::laugh2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Tango_Makes_Three

Kathianne
10-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Um, no. But I wouldn't argue for banning it, as have many.

Nukeman
10-14-2007, 02:00 PM

This is not an appropriate book for "elementry" but if they want to use it in junior/senior high than thats fine. A lot less explaining at an early age. Children have a hard enough time with regular relationships let alone other types....

Of course this is my opinion for myself and my children!!!!

Trigg
10-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes, it's what I liked about the above review, seems pretty much on track with its 'inspiration'. ;)

You only have boys, right? I like books for this age group, that actually acknowledges that there are some 'boy things' and some 'girl things', though they certainly may overlap.

I have a girl also, and I'll check this one out since I like the other one so much. She looked through the boy book and found things she thought were interresting.