PDA

View Full Version : Parent Teacher Conferences????

Trinity
10-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I went Friday morning to my youngest son's school for a parent teacher conference with his reading teacher and homeroom teacher. They said he was very intelligent and very bright, however he is also very stubborn which I already knew, but what I found amazing was their response to something I said.

We were discussing the items that they bring home for homework that they have to do at home and then have their parent sign every night and there was one day about a week ago that Jesse forgot to give me his paper to sign.

I told them he did not give it to me to sign and it is not my responsibility to see if he has something for me to sign he is 9 years old and in the third grade.

Both teachers stopped and looked at me in shock and said can we get that on video? I was like what? what did I say? They then started telling me how they hear from other parent's all the time, don't blame my child it was my fault it didn't get signed.

I was like are you serious? They both said yes you would not believe how many parents do not hold there children accountable and put the blame on themselves.

I then told them how I had told my boy's a couple of weeks ago to write their names and a time for homework on the dry erase board and that it was their responsibility to make sure their homework was done.

The teachers then told me I need to be on the PTO.

Kathianne
10-14-2007, 09:45 AM
I went Friday morning to my youngest son's school for a parent teacher conference with his reading teacher and homeroom teacher. They said he was very intelligent and very bright, however he is also very stubborn which I already knew, but what I found amazing was their response to something I said.

We were discussing the items that they bring home for homework that they have to do at home and then have their parent sign every night and there was one day about a week ago that Jesse forgot to give me his paper to sign.

I told them he did not give it to me to sign and it is not my responsibility to see if he has something for me to sign he is 9 years old and in the third grade.

Both teachers stopped and looked at me in shock and said can we get that on video? I was like what? what did I say? They then started telling me how they hear from other parent's all the time, don't blame my child it was my fault it didn't get signed.

I was like are you serious? They both said yes you would not believe how many parents do not hold there children accountable and put the blame on themselves.

I then told them how I had told my boy's a couple of weeks ago to write their names and a time for homework on the dry erase board and that it was their responsibility to make sure their homework was done.

The teachers then told me I need to be on the PTO.

You have no idea! Even in jr. high the kids will use the excuse, "I was in the rest room when you gave the assignment." Right, ever hear of checking with the teacher or peer for what you might have missed? How about checking online homework posts? They are shocked, as are their parents that 'suddenly' they are responsible for their own work.

Sir Evil
10-14-2007, 09:48 AM
You have no idea! Even in jr. high the kids will use the excuse, "I was in the rest room when you gave the assignment." Right, ever hear of checking with the teacher or peer for what you might have missed? How about checking online homework posts? They are shocked, as are their parents that 'suddenly' they are responsible for their own work.

What does one do when the dog eats their homework? :D

Kathianne
10-14-2007, 09:51 AM
What does one do when the dog eats their homework? :D

Get the privilege of sitting in my room to eat lunch and redo it. :laugh2: Silently.

Trinity
10-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Get the privilege of sitting in my room to eat lunch and redo it. :laugh2: Silently.

:laugh2::laugh2::coffee:

Trinity
10-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Yep I check online for homework for both of my boy's regularly, just so I know what they have been assigned. However it is there responsibility to make sure they get it done.