SassyLady
10-18-2023, 11:24 AM
Wonder when round 3 happens.

8 people so far didn't vote for him

Kathianne
10-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Wonder when round 3 happens.

8 people so far didn't vote for him

Somewhere I read they should just let the temporary leaders ascend to leader-ending this jockeying. Probably a very good idea considering the need for speaker and animosity now in the House of chaos.

Kathianne
10-18-2023, 11:26 AM
Or just let Jeffries have it. shrug.

SassyLady
10-18-2023, 11:28 AM
Loud NO to Jeffries.

It did seem that Jordan lost more votes this time around.

It's 12 people voting Other so far

I take it back ... I think he lost 20 votes first time around.

Kathianne
10-18-2023, 11:30 AM
Loud NO to Jeffries.

It did seem that Jordan lost more votes this time around.

It's 12 people voting Other so far

They need a speaker and not seeming able to find one. Thus, elevate the temp to permanent or put in Jeffries. Voting for Republicans seems to be over after the 12 vote round for McCarthy then ousting him. It's idiotic at this point.

SassyLady
10-18-2023, 11:47 AM
Scalise and McCarthy both voted Jordan.

SassyLady
10-18-2023, 11:49 AM
At this point seems so many are throwing temper tantrums. 😕

Mr. P
10-18-2023, 11:55 AM
The good news is without the house in operation they're not spending more money that we don't have!

Kathianne
10-18-2023, 12:12 PM
The good news is without the house in operation they're not spending more money that we don't have!

The problem being as SL pointed out awhile ago, order of succession. Joe.

fj1200
10-18-2023, 12:36 PM
At this point seems so many are throwing temper tantrums. 😕

At this point?

Kathianne
10-18-2023, 12:38 PM
Scalise and McCarthy both voted Jordan.

Yep, both support the system and got fd over by the chaos lovers.

Kathianne
10-18-2023, 12:46 PM
A lefty site that actually encapsulates what the Jordan ask is. No compromise is the mantra, just chaos: https://news.yahoo.com/calmes-could-jim-jordan-anything-192049782.html

Kathianne
10-18-2023, 12:47 PM
Gaetz & Co are the only tools who could make Jordan look serious.

SassyLady
10-18-2023, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty Anti government at this point and something needs to change. Need to get rid of the one party system ...

SassyLady
10-18-2023, 05:07 PM

Kathianne
10-19-2023, 09:54 AM
It appears that opposition to Jordan is growing. Ah, the sounds of chaos! Where will it lead?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/19/house-speaker-vote-republican-gop-live-updates/71233659007/

This pretty much sums up what's transpired:

When is the next vote for speaker of the House? GOP struggles to elect leader: Live updatesKen Tran
Savannah Kuchar
Candy Woodall
Marina Pitofsky
Sudiksha Kochi
USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — The nation in its 16th day without a speaker of the House, and Republican lawmakers have made seemingly no progress towards electing a new leader.

Instead, they appear to be further from a new speaker after Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, lost a second speaker election Wednesday. Compared to the first ballot, Jordan lost additional support from House Republicans during the second vote, endangering his bid for the speakership.

The House was slated to hold a third speaker election at noon Thursday, but those plans aren't firm as Jordan’s holdouts estimate his opposition will only grow. Rep. Steve Womack, R-Ark., one of the holdouts, told reporters Wednesday evening he did not see a path forward for Jordan to become speaker.

Follow along for live updates from USA TODAY on the speaker fight.

House Republicans to meet as Jordan faces steep climb to speakership
House Republicans will huddle in a closed-door conference meeting at 11 a.m. Thursday to discuss next steps.

The meeting comes as Jordan faces growing opposition to his bid for speaker and talks increase about giving temporary speaker Patrick McHenry more power.

− Ken Tran

When is the next vote for speaker of the House?
As Jim Jordan still faces stiff opposition from GOP holdouts after failing two consecutive ballots, it is unclear when the House will hold a third speaker election.

The Ohio Republican told reporters Wednesday he intends to stay in the race and expected a vote at noon Thursday. But as it remains clear Jordan has no path towards the 217 votes he needs to become speaker, the timing of the third speaker election is up in the air.

Jordan told CNN Thursday morning there will be a third speaker vote today but added that House Republicans could huddle in a closed-door conference meeting first.

− Ken Tran

How to watch the speaker vote live
Lawmakers were originally expected to begin proceedings at noon Thursday in Washington, but timing could change if Republicans meet in conference first. When the House reconvenes, you can follow along here.

– Marina Pitofsky

Jordan holdout: Conservative hardliners 'created the situation'
Rep. Mike Lawler, R-N.Y., one of the moderate GOP lawmakers opposing Jordan, told USA TODAY the House is in its state of paralysis by the fault of the conservative hardliners who have overturned "precedent."

Hard-right lawmakers, Lawler told USA TODAY, "set a new precedent within this congress." The New York Republican referenced multiple times ultraconservatives tanked rule votes, traditionally procedural votes that until this year, never failed.

The historic move to remove McCarthy from the speakership, Lawler added, was done with "no real planning," resulting in the gridlock that has consumed House Republicans.

− Ken Tran

On the interim speaker:

Who is Patrick McHenry?Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., was chosen to be acting House speaker from a succession list that McCarthy provided to a House clerk in January in case his seat became vacant.

McHenry is serving his 10th term in Congress and represents the 10th congressional district in North Carolina. He is a McCarthy ally and chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, a role that helped him negotiate the debt limit deal earlier this year.

He was appointed in 2015 by then House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., to serve as the Chief Deputy Whip, helping Scalise build agreement around a conservative policy agenda for the House Republican Conference.

−Sudiksha Kochi

And with the genius of chaos that IS the GOP:

John Boehner for speaker? GOP holdout casts ballot for former speaker in protestRep. Mike Kelly, R-Pa., one of the GOP holdouts against Jordan voted for former speaker John Boehner on Wednesday in the second speaker election as a protest vote.

The vote drew some applause from House Democrats.

Boehner served as House speaker from 2011 to 2015 and was virtually removed by House Republicans, led by Jordan and the House Freedom Caucus, who threatened to oust him from the speakership akin to McCarthy’s ejection earlier this month. Boehner ultimately resigned in the face of those threats.

– Ken Tran

Will Hakeem Jeffries become speaker of the House?
No.

Technically, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries could be elected, as there are no requirements for the speaker to be from the majority party (or even a member of Congress). In both rounds of voting this week, Jeffries has received 212 votes, the full backing of House Democrats and more than Rep. Jim Jordan both times.

However, the New York Democrat would still need five more votes to hit the necessary 217.

Despite infighting among Republicans, it's very doubtful any lawmaker on the right, let alone five, will cast a vote across the aisle.

−Savannah Kuchar

SassyLady
10-19-2023, 01:10 PM
There's chaos all through the world right now. Not just the GOP. Governments all over the world have been in upheaval ..
Especially after covid began.

Kathianne
10-19-2023, 04:44 PM
There's chaos all through the world right now. Not just the GOP. Governments all over the world have been in upheaval ..
Especially after covid began.

This chaos here, is NOT covid. It's not Ukraine. It's Gaetz and his chaos seeking minions. They've found the chaos.

Kathianne
10-19-2023, 04:50 PM
It appears the conservatives don't want temp speaker. Moderates don't want Jordan. Dems tell them to grow up.

SassyLady
10-19-2023, 05:15 PM
This chaos here, is NOT covid. It's not Ukraine. It's Gaetz and his chaos seeking minions. They've found the chaos.

I get that you hate the America first people Kathy. Do you have a better way to get the corrupt people out of power without chaos?

Gaetz and the others were voted in by people who want them to shake things up. They are doing exactly what their constituents asked for.

SassyLady
10-19-2023, 05:16 PM
Jordan still in the fight.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/10/developing-jordan-expects-another-speaker-vote-today-seeks/

Kathianne
10-19-2023, 06:44 PM
I get that you hate the America first people Kathy. Do you have a better way to get the corrupt people out of power without chaos?

Gaetz and the others were voted in by people who want them to shake things up. They are doing exactly what their constituents asked for.

They have every right to act however they choose. Likewise I and others have the same rights to say we entirely despise what they are doing, for they are destroying p without any plan for what is to come. Last time I thought of that I believe it was called anarchy.

SassyLady
10-19-2023, 10:34 PM
They have every right to act however they choose. Likewise I and others have the same rights to say we entirely despise what they are doing, for they are destroying p without any plan for what is to come. Last time I thought of that I believe it was called anarchy.

I call it exposure.

Kathianne
10-19-2023, 10:41 PM
I call it exposure.
Exposure to what? I cannot believe we are having such a failure to communicate.

SassyLady
10-20-2023, 12:02 AM
Exposure to what? I cannot believe we are having such a failure to communicate.
Exposing the corruption in DC

Kathianne
10-20-2023, 01:06 AM
Exposing the corruption in DC

I have no doubt about corruption, just look at Pelosi and Biden and Reid and Menendez and Hastert...

So what 'exposure?' That hasn't been done by any of these folks you're talking about, nor Trump for that matter. All of them came from investigations by DOJ or even within congressional committees. With all of that said, regardless of party, none of them with the exception of Hastert which also included pedophilia were seriously punished. None of them seem to have a lick of guilt, nor be in danger of not being re-elected if they wish.

If one wants clean government, one does not elect a Gaetz-he's a huckster of first order.

SassyLady
10-20-2023, 10:18 AM
I have no doubt about corruption, just look at Pelosi and Biden and Reid and Menendez and Hastert...

So what 'exposure?' That hasn't been done by any of these folks you're talking about, nor Trump for that matter. All of them came from investigations by DOJ or even within congressional committees. With all of that said, regardless of party, none of them with the exception of Hastert which also included pedophilia were seriously punished. None of them seem to have a lick of guilt, nor be in danger of not being re-elected if they wish.

If one wants clean government, one does not elect a Gaetz-he's a huckster of first order.

He's another Harry Reid ... just on the other side of the aisle.